For Mac users: running D2 under OS X
Greetings fellow Mac users,

I'm not sure if this is widely known or not, so I thought I'd post it just in case. I accidentally discovered a way around the intolerable slowdown that is running D2 (Carbon) in full-screen mode under OS X: just run the game in "windowed mode" (in other words, hit command-M so that D2 runs in its own window, and you can still see the Finder). It is every bit as responsive as it was under OS 9.

I e-mailed Blizzard support about this, so that they could put the hint on their site, but of course the only reply I got was "try running the game under OS 9." Sigh. *bangs head against wall*

Hope that is helpful to a few of you out there!

Cheers,
Hawkmoon
actually the only walkaround is, besides running in os9, to run in software mode , without any kind of hardware accaleration!

you can configure this in the window that appears when you start up diabloII the first time, or every time if you didn't checked the "don't show this window again" box.

The funny thing is, in windowed mode, diabloII will ALWAYS use software rendering, no matter how you configured it!

so basically its the same thing.
That's what I do...I run in full-screen 800x600 mode, software rendering, and turn the gamma down a bit, and it works better for me than it ever did in OS 9......
--Mav