Chat room?
Ok, I do realize this IS the 'Lurker'lounge. However, it is extremely redundant to join this 'chat'room just to see the exact same 10 people, everyday of the week, 24/7, do what they do best, Lurk (idle). Someone said to me once in the forum, go to the chat room if you want to chat. Well someone needs to tell these wonderful Lurking people to stay here in the forum if you merely want to lurk.

If you don't ever chat. Do not come. If you are not at the keyboard, and you will not be for hours. Don't join the room. However, I do not mind if you add a tag to your name (Idle) or even (Lurking), this will at least show that you are not chat material at the moment. Of course, if you are a guy in which goes to different channels (Most of our current Lurkers do this), but never chat, do NOT come. I honestly rather see the room empty, than full of the same people who never chat.

As days go on, the Lurkerlounge Chat room is becoming more ironic and oxymoronic, but keep in mind this is all merely my opinion, and it means nothing.

Due to current events in my life, things are pushing me past my limits. So here I am to vent to make myself feel better. Perhaps this is against the rules, I really don't know, or care at this moment. Im sure there is something you would call this. So this is the topic I will currently pick on. (And MODs, please tell me if I am doing something wrong here, I am in a bad state of mind)

Oh and another thing. As for the speeling and grammer police. If you find something wrong with this post. I don't care, just keep it to yourself. However, if it is so bad that it needs a translation, by all means, inform me.
And call me in the morning. :D

That should make you feel better. Caveat: Remember to take a two Alka Selzer tablet full glass of water right before you go to bed, to prevent the dehydration/headache that three Guinness will occaisionally produce the next morning.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I'll add to that, have also at least half glass of milk if you've spiced up the Guinness drinking with something stronger, and it'll help your digestive system deal with it in the proper way :)

Edit: I sometimes wonder how I got a 7.5 in the ILTS English test with my spelling capabilities...
Hmmm, I never went there until you mentioned it... I just tried it for the first time today and it didn't seem very chatty...
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I don't drink. I will never drink, I will never smoke, and I will never do any form of illegal drug. (And I have never even tried any of these) I simply refuse. But the joke is appreciated ;)

And Kandrathe, it is always like that. And it just seems to drive away any potiental "newcomers". If there weren't 15 people in the room that who seem to be there, but aren't. It might be a differen't story.

People don't appreciate talking to themselves only to learn everyone is apparently afk.
Quote:People don't appreciate talking to themselves only to learn everyone is apparently afk.

Perhaps the answer is simple: put a disclaimer.

"Do not be offended by the inactivity of LL chatroom members; they may be AFK."

Quote:And Kandrathe, it is always like that. And it just seems to drive away any potiental "newcomers".

I'm not sure that the LL actively seeks out "newcomers". Mostly they stumble their way in here(from other site's links, and if they fit, they stick around.

The chat room has a place, to avoid filling the forums with "chat", and to facilltate chatting between multiple people(PMs don't work so well with more than 2 people).

I can see how it can be frustrating though. I think that the chat room is best used when you know someone will be in there to chat with... not just looking for anyone to be there.

Of course, I don't use it myself, I could be off base....
Quote:Perhaps the answer is simple: put a disclaimer.

"Do not be offended by the inactivity of LL chatroom members; they may be AFK."

Perhaps, but who really reads a disclaimer? Especially to something as simple as a chat room.

All that needs to be done is a have some form of a Chat Etiquette. Doing something on the line that was meantioned in my first post. If you are afk, or not interested in chatting. Either leave or add an AFK tag to your name. Both are incredibly simple and fast things to do.

They would make a world of difference to me. But that is me.

Quote:I'm not sure that the LL actively seeks out "newcomers". Mostly they stumble their way in here(from other site's links, and if they fit, they stick around.

Yes, however, there is the fact that they do indeed come. So why not show them at least some respect. If they come in and see a bunch of people with AFK tags in their names. They won't get all frustrated and think we are all high and mighty not to respond to them. (Ahem, sometimes we do think that way ;) )

Quote:The chat room has a place, to avoid filling the forums with "chat", and to facilltate chatting between multiple people(PMs don't work so well with more than 2 people).

I can see how it can be frustrating though. I think that the chat room is best used when you know someone will be in there to chat with... not just looking for anyone to be there.

Of course, I don't use it myself, I could be off base....

On paper, this does sound nice. But at the moment, you get faster responses if you post something in a forum than if you type something in the chat room. And we have around 15 people in there! It is indeed frustrating. :P
"All that needs to be done is a have some form of a Chat Etiquette," muttered the unsuspecting fool, little aware of the power in those words.

All of the sudden, a giant rift formed in the ground, and great bursts of steam came forth, along with a heat like no inferno ever before felt by mortals. Clearly, this could be nothing short of an extradimentional gate, and whatever may be on the other side could not be good for this world. Like an arrow, a great beam shot out of the chasm, then turned at a high position to plummet to the groud. An enormous roar came from the colission, and all the world blanked out for those nearby. When they came too, the ground had closed up, but now there was a great, white light where the beam had landed. When the light died, an elf could be made out.

"Aiya Kahroz: tultalyan?" he asked.

"Er... whatever: clearly I've summoned some horrid demon from beyond, so get to work on slaying my enemies. Go forth into the world, and bring etiquette to it!"

"Tancave! Tenn' enomentielva," he replied, before setting off into the world, causing unnamable horrors that are best left to campfire tales.

(read: if you want a Chat Etiquette, PM me :P )
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Er... when did we get a chat room? What's the server and channel name? Why wasn't I informed?! :)
Aw, geeze. Look what you've gone and done now, Karohz. :P
Hail Bandit Angel,

Bolty opened up the second LL Chatroom about the same time he reopened the Lounge main page. You can get all the details there (and, simply, I cannot for the life of me remember them: I just hit connect, and I'm there :P ).
Elric of Grans,Apr 4 2003, 03:05 AM Wrote:"Tancave! Tenn' enomentielva," he replied, before setting off into the world, causing unnamable horrors that are best left to campfire tales.

(read: if you want a Chat Etiquette, PM me :P )
I said those words out loud at work and suddenly three of my co-workers vanished before my eyes ! :blink: Does that mean I pronounced them incorrectly ? Is there a Word of Recall to reverse the effects ? :blink:

Chat room ? I thought this was the chatroom ? ;)

EDIT : Spelling bad ...... must proofread betterer
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
Ah, seems I am a nefarious little guy. Maybe something good from this will happen after all!

Join my young ones. Join the darkside! I shall corrupt the chatroom (ahem, I really don't know if it is Chat room or chatroom, does it matter? :P) with thousand apon thousand of script kiddies spaming everything that they pointlessly made. Well, maybe we would get 'chat' that way :/.

Elric the chipped tooth elf may create such an etiquette. But I just realized also, people may not read disclaimers, but they ALSO will not read a etiquette created by an ego inspired character from shining force with a polictically incorrect name! ;)
Eh, don't expect me to be dragged in so easily - I've already got one channel I lurk in without talking ;)
Hail Kharohz,

Politically incorrect? If my handle is not PC, then they have gone too far. What next, I should be a rounded-ear impaired anthropoid? :blink:

PS, the second line was never intended to have any magical qualities. It translates to "Certainly! Until we meet again!" :huh:
Forgive that "Politically incorrect" line. I have no idea why I said that @@

I think I wanted to make fun of your Elric of Grans part, being how Elric isn't from Grans :P
Hail Kharohz,

Search either of the old fora for one of the `where did you get your handle from' threads and you'll get the full story. In short though, years ago (before I heard of Diablo) I began making my own sequel to Shining Force II, and in it Elric WAS living on Grans Island. Shortly after I was introduced to "some great new game that you'd just love" by a mate, and got hooked on Diablo ;) Anywho, cut more story out, and when I was looking for a good name for my first Battle.net Rogue, I wanted an archer's name, but not a woman's name - I didn't want any confusion to arrise - so I picked Elric. Trouble was, people kept linking it to Elric of Melnibone, a character I knew nothing of back then, so - borrowing from my sequel - I extended my handle to Elric of Grans Island. I then took of the Island bit: too much typing. I have since used it everywhere, so it has kind of stuck.

If you want, I could use the name of my prose character, translated into High Elvish: Eldacáno, i Nerenano-Aráto Granso. Is that better :lol:
With an explaination like that, I can no longer make fun of it :(.

And hey, I being a lover of all things original, I laude your name.

PS: Did you ever get anywhere with the sequel? Or...
Hail Kharoz,

I had written out the entire screenplay for it, and coded up the first two chapters. I had most of the early graphics done, and had a battle system very close to the Shining Force series (needed only a little tweaking). I then had a series of issues that slowly caused me to lose things, finally ending with a HDD crash that saw the destrution of the last copy of the screenplay I had. At that point I gave up!

A year after I gave up, I tried making an AD&D 2E engine. I coded up basically the whole engine (the PH was all there, and I had tables for the MM ready; the system for putting campaigns together was in skeletal form) when I had another HDD crash on me. That was the last time I tried to make a game. I am thinking about perhaps making a FF-esque game someday, but having lost two games now, I'm not sure I'll bother.

Do note that I was not so stupid as to only keep one copy of any file: I just had terrible, terrible luck that saw all copies be destroyed, and not so far appart in time from each other :( With the ShF2 sequel, I had two separate machines die, and my online backup vanish, all within a week! Now I have nothing to show for my time at High School (the teachers thought I was doing classword :P )...
Elric, seriously. If you ever considering doing that again. I will help with backup meathods, and anything else if possible.

Flaming_June im sure would help too. We are great fans of that game and would back you 100% :)