How I believe GA and pierce should work together
Well, very interesting stuff on the ga/pierce "bug" from Isolde.

However, I think for the most part, absent such extraordinarily rare, welcome, and candid confessions from the game programmers regarding their "CM-lazyiness" ;) it's pretty hard to determine what was intended and what wasn't. And sometimes the stuff that wasn't intended actually works better than the stuff that was, so IMO one has every right to play the game the way it works, rather than trying to figure out what's a "bug" and what's "not a bug"; though of course everyone has their own standards about what "bug-exploits" are "cheesy", "not cheesy", or simply "cheating" (the latter -- like dupe bugs -- being non-negotiable).

On the specific topic of 1.09 LoD Bowazons, my main problem with GA is that it's obviously wrong that I can kill a mob of, say, half-a-dozen Blood Lords faster one-on-one with a lvl 1 GA than I can by hitting them with a lvl 20 strafe. Something is not right there. (The comment about client/server desync for missiles is interesting, because either GA pierces much more often than it seems to on the client, or one hit does much more damage than it's supposed to -- it's really hard to tell with both GA and strafe what's really going just by looking at the client side graphics, it's almost as bad as trying to get accurate info by reading your character screen. ;) )

I don't think GA is an super-overpowered skill though, even as it works now, at least with the non-uber equipment my zon's use (like GoldStrikeArch, Magewrath, or Kuko). In general, the problem with zon's is some of the overpowered equipment in LoD, not their skills. I don't know how 1.10 will resolve this issue -- I hope that standard characters using stuff they find themselves won't be crippled in an effort to balance the ubermenschen, or conversely the ubermenschen will not be overwelmingly uber because the standard characters are balanced, even if the game is made to be a real challenge for them, as I hope it will.

Fire arrow is another interesting case: I actually like the way fire arrow works now -- it's one of the few lvl 1 skills that retains its usefulness, but it's not overpowered since it is a purely one-one-one skill. The problem is with the nerfing of immolation arrow: why should a lvl 1 fire arrow outperform a lvl 20 immo vs PIs in almost any circumstance? (same story as GA vs. strafe)

PvP is another story -- the game is not supposed to be balanced for that, and people who like to duel will just have to set their own rules to make it reasonable.
Isolde,Apr 10 2003, 12:07 AM Wrote:I was the one who changed GA to pierce
Ok.. now we know who to blame :D.

Actually the way you described would be very nice for this skill. However should then the arrow flying distance to be changed a bit shorter (closer to other bow skills)?

---
About fire arrow, i would like the idea of it getting higher percentage of fire vs physical damage with every skill point added. We had nice discussion this way in Ali Baba's cave -forum long time ago in Amazon Basin.

Just my opinion..

RF
Neat idea that did not quite pan out as you had hoped. Understandable in a game this complex.

And I am comforted in knowing that GA will go back to its old self in 1.10. It was already a decent skill without Pierce. :)

Thanks again for taking your own time to explain this.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Isolde,Apr 10 2003, 12:07 AM Wrote:In a way all of the elite 1.08 items could be considered bugs as well, at least in so much as they were never meant to appear on the realms...
Hail Isolde fellow LurkerLounge member and ehr lemme think a bit here, Messenger of that Dark Cult of MCM Worshippers.

Bloody interesting reading.

Did you guys by any chance loose bits of source code at times too?

What is the story behind the Buriza then? It was even honed more to perfection in 1.09 than it was in 1.08.

Regards, Hunky
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
Quote:Firstly, there'll never be post counts: I think we CAN enable them, but do not want them. Besides, we all know who posts most: we simply read the fora to see that ;)

I'm going to jump in here massively late just to add to this: IBF software does not support the disabling of post counts. They are enabled. However, I spent hours stripping all code from all parts of the forum software that displays users' post counts. That's how much I hate them. You are quite right, ALnitak, that post counts only encourage spam and trolls!

Far be it for me to contribute strategy to this thread; I'll just welcome ALnitak to the Lounge. Glad to have you here.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Sweet! B)

I don't suppose you can tackle the oversized signature problem too? :unsure: Lately there have been a few people using signatures upwards of 20K file size and others who think it's acceptable to spam 20 lines of crap that few would bother to read. :(
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Quote:I don't suppose you can tackle the oversized signature problem too?  Lately there have been a few people using signatures upwards of 20K file size and others who think it's acceptable to spam 20 lines of crap that few would bother to read.

What I'm TALKIN' 'BOUT! :blink:

*shakes Warblade's hand*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Apr 11 2003, 05:12 AM Wrote:What I'm TALKIN' 'BOUT!  :blink:

*shakes Warblade's hand*
Yea! And those awful small signatures too, where you can't even tell what it is! J/k Nicodemus! :lol:
lol :lol:

I don't think mine is too long... where I come from ( :) ) There is a 60 pixel maximum height, so I am used to making 5 lines max, size 1 font (I think that is right...)
But, I think I may have to press return after every sentence for my shorter posts, just so I can keep my post larger than my signature.
WarBlade,Apr 11 2003, 12:39 AM Wrote:I don't suppose you can tackle the oversized signature problem too? :unsure: Lately there have been a few people using signatures upwards of 20K file size and others who think it's acceptable to spam 20 lines of crap that few would bother to read. :(
Well, I just trimmed the max sig size down to 1,000 characters (was 50,000 chars), but you can't stop people from posting big images in their sigs via forum software controls. It'll just have to be handled on a case-by-case basis.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Another idea is to have a max amount of lines able to be entered... (so people can't have a sig that presses enter after each word [unless it is something like just account names...])
:D
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War