Dubious death
I got recently killed in a situation I felt quite confident about.
Attacker was level 25 Assassin.
I had my level 36 Bear with 1300 life, with a Shaeled Ribcracker (30 OIAS from Sigon's) and 2000+ DR and 10% ll

Enemy approaches. I cast Shockwave. Go melee. Enemy hits twice, I score one hit between her strikes. I die from the Assassin's second hit. Now with all the pvp penalties and the fact that the Assassin had no charges up when she attacked, how is it possible for her to get enough damage through to kill me, especially considering I did score one hit and got some like leeched back from that.

Question is: Is there any way she could've pulled it off legitimately?

It bothers me, cause frankly I almost never die to these rubes, (I twink, and not just the end equipment, but everything starting from level 2; except ofcource when I play no-twink chars), and take some pride at my collection of ears of assailants. This sheep usually eats the wolves. :P
(Ramble mode on: just couple days ago I got a very very sweet level 60 barbarian ear with my lvl 45 Elemental Summoner)

Ps. later in town the assassin seemed to be clueless, claiming that my "blue Sorc staff" is a stupid weapon for a druid, and saying I should use Steeldriver. :P
Assuming your attack missed, since I can't calculate your life leech from the information given, the Assasin had to do 650 damage per hit, after PvP penalty.

Feral Claws do 53 damage maximum, and are the highest maximum damage of any claw. A perfect cruel is +300% for 153, and Evisceration is another +63 for a total of 216 damage.

Skill 20 Claw mastery is +111% damage and STR 150 would be +150% for a total of +261%

216 x 3.61 = 779.76 damage.

That doesn't seem nearly enough to get past the PvP penalty, but I don't know what the penalty is. Assuming it's half damage, we still need ~500 damage. If they had a lot of +damage and +STR gear, and pumped strength, I think it would be possible however.

(EDIT ADD) Oh, duh, critical strike bug. The assasin does 780 * 2 for a critical, or 1560 per hit, 3120 total. Not sure what that is after PvP penalty.
The assassin damage bonus for 150 STR is actually 112.5% (75% of 150). They would also have gotten a damage bonus from DEX (also 75% of DEX). {Edit} That is if she was using claws, which I don't think was stated.

The PvP penalty is -75%.

Don't forget charms.

Someone with better knowledge of all the different equipment setups could better tell you if it would have been possible for her to kill you.
Quote:The PvP penalty is -75%.

Thats actually REALLY funny, you see, because not too long ago I was just lurking through diabloii.nets pvp pages at one page says its 1/2 damage, or a -50% penalty while another says its 1/10 damage, or -90% penalty. Perhaps classic or hardcore is different? Or maybe I misread what was posted. Does anyone really know how much it is?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Apr 4 2003, 10:47 PM Wrote:Thats actually REALLY funny, you see, because not too long ago I was just lurking through diabloii.nets pvp pages at one page says its 1/2 damage, or a -50% penalty while another says its 1/10 damage, or -90% penalty.  Perhaps classic or hardcore is different?  Or maybe I misread what was posted.  Does anyone really know how much it is?
The penalty used to be 1/2 for a very long time. Some recent patch (1.08 or 1.09) changed it to 1/4 (or -75% if you prefer that way).
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
BanditAngel, you missed some important points.

The first of which is the other player was a level 25 assassin. You would need to restrict your self to items that a level 25 could normally equip. The Feral Claws require a level of 58 to equip. Of the claws the highest max damage one that can be equipped is a Fascia (reqlvl=24, damage 8-37). The "Cruel" prefix requires a level of 43 to equip items with this affix on it; the highest dam% prefix on a magic weapon would be "Merciless" (dmg% 81-100) or on a rare "Merciless" plus "Soldier's" (dmg% 41-50) for a perfect +150%. Similar examination would need to be done for the "Eviceration" suffix; etc.

Other things to look at is the amount of stat points that you are crediting the assassin with which are probably more than a level 25 could get to even including having done all the quests. Items may help in this area, but it may take a very specific mix to get enough. Enough of the +min/max jewels and charms would go a long way to boosting the damage though.

You would need someone that is more of an expert at the items available to a low level character to be sure of what is possible for them to equip.

I do find the amount that was done suspicious, especially in light of some of the hacked items that are being used in the game right now. Hopefully when patch 1.10 comes out these types of items will be deleted, no exceptions.
I know hexing charms have huge stat bonuses, however I have never seen one besides a quick glance at ebay long ago. I believe its 90 to all stats, if the level requirement on something like this was low, that could greatly contribute to the damage output of a character (90 str and dex is huge!) :angry:

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell
BanditAngel,Apr 4 2003, 05:06 PM Wrote:Assuming your attack missed, since I can't calculate your life leech from the information given, the Assasin had to do 650 damage per hit, after PvP penalty.
Well, Shaeled Ribcracker with 110 strength uncharged attack. It hit because I heard the distinctive *klops* sound ribcracker makes. Leech is 10%. Damage uncharged is about 270-610.
Oh and the Assassin didn't scream so no finisher was used.
Best guess is that the man used hacked/bugged items...

For example the +7 to all skills small charms (how the hell did those even get to the realms?!) with enough of those plus the critical strike bug an assassin could do huge amounts of damage een with low quality claws dmg-wise...

(imagine a 50+ claw master)
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"