Strictly Variants
Would anyone be interesting in partying with only variants? Completely new characters, no twinking. Note variant doesn't mean playing style, i.e. an elemental druid, throwing bard, but rather (possibly) item restrictions, skill restrictions, and/or stat restrictions. Check Realms Beyond for some variant ideas. It would also be nice to be familiar with the variant you choose so you don't have to review the rules during the game. As for myself, I will be playing a classic diablo sorcerer (no suprise here).

Also, if it doesn't sound like a bad idea, I would prefer TCP/IP play. I don't have a great connection to battle.net, plus it would also be convenient to be able to play single player if someone falls behind the group. I don't think we need to worry about anyone using trainers.

Other notes: this will be for LoD v1.09d unmodded for the variant character.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Yes, I would.

I love variants, created a melee Sorceress this past weekend (sword,shield) haven't using any spell except 'cold' shields. She's on USWest. Had a Naked Necro last year, he's long gone (for inactivity).

I should check the link for more variants, only one I know are the ones I 'created' for myself. They probably exist already with a set of rules.

Even recreated Ntihatuaa (BNM) in Diablo 1, 2 weeks ago :)
I realize this is an old post but I didn't want to re-post something that has been said. I am interested in playing certain variants of diablo 2 Meantioned in the above link "Realms Beyond" . I presently have started a character on US west who is a Legionaire of Griez or LOG based on their description.

I find that the builds listed tend to allow for more role playing, which is an element that lacks quite a bit in computer games as opposed to pen and paper.

I was wondering also if there are any clans that specialize in variants or if anyone is interested in starting up a clan of characters devoted to a LOG build or perhaps a drow clan.

Let me know my username is *k_brax both US realms
I would join you, but that would mean I would have to revert to 1.09. :) I would do one of my Jedi.
I just tried a new (to me) variant last night with two friends. We each played a different elemental sorceress. We also allowed each character to access warmth, any cold armour and teleport. We didn't play for long but we had a lot of fun doing it.
We added the rule that you would automatically recieve your colour of gem. So I was the ice sorc and I received all saphires.
When we reach act 2 we further plan to each hire a different merc.
I can hardly contain myself :D
Then you should hire act 3 mercenaries based on your elemental type. This is especially useful for the cold sorceress. If you specialize in a non-freezing spell, that is. :)