Star Trek variant (somewhat long read)
This is my Star Trek variant, I began writing it yesterday, and so far I think it ain't bad at all.
I've never found another ST variant (just a Borg variant), so I think it can be original and fun.
I need your comments about things like game balance, Star Trek technology, bad english, etc. :)

Jedi Knight's Star Trek Variant

(EDIT : Removed the plain text and added the link)
[Image: lukesnewlightsaber.jpg]

An elegant weapon for a more civilized time. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.
It definitely needs some refining, but it could work. First off, you mentioned you wrote it yesterday. Have you actually played any characters like these? Play-testing is essential to make sure the variant is challenging and still fun.

As for the format of the information, it really needs to be organized. I recommend downloading the variant archive at realms beyond diablo or visiting lemmingofglory's site to see how they put the information together (all links available through the D2 section of the LL).

It might be helpful to list some reasoning behind restrictions, for instance:

>Elemental resistances caps at 25% (35% after you read Malah's scroll) for each difficulty.
Physical resistance is limited to only one source (item) at a time.
Borg drones, obviously, can (and should) max those. Resistance is NOT futile.

Why 25%? Is this also only from items then? Resistance scrolls from various difficulties would put the base to 30% already. Also, when using natural resistances, it can't account for difficulty. When in nightmare, one could put more points into resistances and still be under the minimum. If the character goes back into normal though, this maximum value would be greatly exceeded.

>Triumphant and vulpine items, as well as mana leech, cannot be used, except by the Borg, who
are self-sufficient and, theoritically, have an unlimited power source. Life leech and Open Wounds
can only be used by a Klingon wielding his sword... <For Drone:> Helmets MUST be socketed

Again, why aren't these allowed? Also, why only the lightest of armors?

The skills need to be looked at just a little bit as well. For instance, the borg has virtually no spell restrictions. The ones that are allowed are more than sufficient to create a build not so different than any normal build. Considering the borg can use any armor, the borg is hardly variant at all. Although it is possible to describe a skill in terms of the series, skills should be limited. The borg in this case is out fighting on his own, and his skills should be limited to technology that one borg could travel with.

All in all, you have a good idea, you just need to develop it. Organization wise, I suggest you put global restrictions (to all races) in a short section at the top, and then tackle each race seperately. Per each race you could describe skill/item/stat restrictions and why they are that way for the given race, i.e. a "man" may only be able to wear light armor and have small strength because in the series he is shown in black spandex and certainly could not carry on in 50 pounds of armor.

Keep at it.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
It definitely needs some refining, but it could work. First off, you mentioned you wrote it yesterday. Have you actually played any characters like these? Play-testing is essential to make sure the variant is challenging and still fun.

I'll be doing this soon, I can't just write an official variant without playing it ;) I tried to balance it
as much as I can from what I know, but there are alyaws gameplay issues.

As for the format of the information, it really needs to be organized. I recommend downloading the variant archive at realms beyond diablo or visiting lemmingofglory's site to see how they put the information together (all links available through the D2 section of the LL).

The Variant Archive is great indeed, it even gave me some ideas. I was planning to format it, for now
it's only in Notepad.

Also, when using natural resistances, it can't account for difficulty. When in nightmare, one could put more points into resistances and still be under the minimum. If the character goes back into normal though, this maximum value would be greatly exceeded.

You got a point :)

The skills need to be looked at just a little bit as well. For instance, the borg has virtually no spell restrictions. The ones that are allowed are more than sufficient to create a build not so different than any normal build. Considering the borg can use any armor, the borg is hardly variant at all.

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding good ideas for the Borg. Perhaps I should go back to the Necro build,
or specify stats / skills restrictions (i.e. put 2 points in strength each level up, something like that).

All in all, you have a good idea, you just need to develop it. Organization wise, I suggest you put global restrictions (to all races) in a short section at the top, and then tackle each race seperately. Per each race you could describe skill/item/stat restrictions and why they are that way for the given race, i.e. a "man" may only be able to wear light armor and have small strength because in the series he is shown in black spandex and certainly could not carry on in 50 pounds of armor.

It still needs some work, at least I know what's flawed, as the writer I don't always see things
that are obvious to others, that's why I posted it. Thanks for your ideas !

An elegant weapon for a more civilized time. For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.
Some ideas for the Borg. For the borg, destruction of organism's which could be assimilated is a waste of resources. Therefore, the borg should attempt to assimilate (Conversion) all living organisms and use them to aid in his battle. Of course, attempts should be made to reconect any rogue drones to the collective.

Also, do away with cleansing, salvation, and defiance. The other threeresists better show the borg's abilities because, though he can adapt to his situation, they are not infinitely adaptable.

Also, do away with zeal (just seems cheesy) and concentration (borg are slow as hell, why would they have uninteruptable attacks?)

Also, Don't borg need to connect to the collective to recharge? You could show this by having all potions need to be purchased from town (none picked up)

Anywho, just some ideas tha poped into my head.

EDIT- Spelling
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
nt
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Some ideas for the Borg. For the borg, destruction of organism's which could be assimilated is a waste of resources. Therefore, the borg should attempt to assimilate (Conversion) all living organisms and use them to aid in his battle. Of course, attempts should be made to reconect any rogue drones to the collective.

Also, do away with cleansing, salvation, and defiance. The other threeresists better show the borg's abilities because, though he can adapt to his situation, they are not infinitely adaptable.

Great ideas, I'll probably do it that way.

Also, do away with zeal (just seems cheesy) and concentration (borg are slow as hell, why would they have uninteruptable attacks?)

Right, and I think about removing running - I have yet to see a Borg running after somebody.

Also, Don't borg need to connect to the collective to recharge? You could show this by having all potions need to be purchased from town (none piced up)

Not sure about that, I'll try to find good information about the Borg.

If all goes well, I should be able to update the document and bring it online before the weekend. I have lots of new ideas now !

Hmmmm, got another idea. Perhaps you could limit town portals (transporters) to use by the federation. (Maybe this is stupid, I dont know if the borg etc. have any kind of transporters)

Think Brain THINK!!!!

Oh well, can't come up with anything else...
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
good ideas everybody, looking forward to seeing the result of this.
To learn how to keep an idiot busy, look down.
To learn how to keep an idiot busy...look up.

Blabbering nonesence,

--::x||[XOblivionX]||x::--

Hmmmm, got another idea. Perhaps you could limit town portals (transporters) to use by the federation. (Maybe this is stupid, I dont know if the borg etc. have any kind of transporters)

Everyone has transporters, even the Borg. However, it would be possible to restrict it's use. (Example : Act 4 could be located somewhere near the core of the planet, with lots of lava and gas, creating severe interference). I have yet to determine what waypoints and scrolls of identify would be. I think that IDing should only be done in town, like you'd have to connect to your spaheship's computer to analyze the properties of items (again, just an idea).

I started a couple of characters to test my restrictions - I'll be able to find some more ideas this way. I should be able to update my document for Friday.

I like your idea for limiting portals better than mine. The ID scroll idea is cool too. Perhaps no ID's until cain is rescued? Like you need to reconect to the collective or fix a bug in the computer or something???

Also, though nothing comes to mind, perhaps you should make an explanation for the possibility of all 3 races working together as a party.

I'll keep posting anything m tiny little pea brain can come up with.

Once you get a "final" version of the variant, I'll gladly test it with you.
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I like your idea for limiting portals better than mine. The ID scroll idea is cool too. Perhaps no ID's until cain is rescued? Like you need to reconect to the collective or fix a bug in the computer or something???

Also, though nothing comes to mind, perhaps you should make an explanation for the possibility of all 3 races working together as a party.

I'll keep posting anything m tiny little pea brain can come up with.

Once you get a "final" version of the variant, I'll gladly test it with you.
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
I'm re-writing my rules right now, and I noticed something.

Triumphant and vulpine items, as well as mana leech, cannot be used, except by the Borg, who
are self-sufficient and, theoritically, have an unlimited power source. Life leech and Open Wounds
can only be used by a Klingon wielding his sword.

Does OW could actually work with phasers (bows)?

Also, do anyone have ideas for resistances? I want to cap them for non-Borg, but as the Langolier pointed,
if it would be capped in Nightmare and then you get back to Normal, it wouldn't work. I feel a cap is needed, else Borg and non-Borg alike would be as resistant. Maybe I could restrict MDR and damage reduction items to drones, but I don't think this would make such a great difference.

Maybe, it might work, however, phasers usually...uhh...'fry' the wounds so that no blood comes out?

Not sure tho...
To learn how to keep an idiot busy, look down.
To learn how to keep an idiot busy...look up.

Blabbering nonesence,

--::x||[XOblivionX]||x::--

Maybe, it might work, however, phasers usually...uhh...'fry' the wounds so that no blood comes out?

It probably does, yes. I was asking the question because if a Klingon warrior crafted a belt with OW on it,
and used his rifle, it shouldn't make monsters bleed. I just can't test it right now.

Just go there to read it - thanks for everyone's ideas! Playtest goes well so far, but until I hit later difficulties it's hard to tell if it's viable or not.

Are Borg by default to go hostile when other ST variants are in the same area? :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Are Borg by default to go hostile when other ST variants are in the same area?

Good question! :)
I haven't yet determined how the variant would play in multiplayer, I'll test it in single and see what it's like.

I don't know if the Borg should go hostile. From what I know, the Borg ignores individuals as long as they don't pose any threat. They seem to assimilate or eliminate people only if this is to their advantage. I think that a Borg player should ignore other players unless they go hostile, or talk to him while they are in the same area. Then he should go hostile and try to assimilate them, even if the unassimilated subject is far stronger than the drone - the Borg do not think if they should react, they just do it.

Imagine an happy-feet Federation (amazon) player trying to destroy a walking Borg Drone that keeps saying "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated" :) Roleplay is important and adds a touch to the game. Unfortunately, lots of people on bnet are just "1337 h4x0rz r0x1ng w1th 7h31r ub3r s0rc".