Experience distribution
I keep seeing people say that getting the kill gives more experience than your share of what other people kill. Now, I could have sworn I read that this was done away with quite some time ago and that everything is now divided simply by level and party status: no kill bonus. Which is correct? :)
This was my understanding also but I cant find any posts relating to it :(
*kicks the search engine in the guts* :blink:
since this is an experience distribution topic, i may ask this question as well. While I was doing nm bloody run, someone claims we should all start from the bottom because we'll will get more exp that way. He claims if all characters are within the range of each other which means you can see all character names on the screen, you will get more exp. Is this correct?

Personally, I always thought if all characters are in bloody, everyone will get their share of exp.
I will check AS in a minute, but off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the person who kills the monster gets either 100% of the experience while the rest of the players get 90% (10% difference). The percents might be off, which is what I'm going to check, but the difference should be right - or maybe I'm just blowing smoke and don't know it...

-EDIT- Humm.. I can't find any reference to party experience being deducted anywhere. I checked Diabloii.net, Arret Summit, and Spireas Site, so I guess they did remove it.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I was of the opinion that the kill bonus was done away with as well. I infer this conclusion from Spirea's Experience calculator, which makes no special distinction for which character struct the killing blow.

As for party radius, I believe anyone who is in the same named map area (eg: "Bloody Foothills") qualifies for the "partied and in the same area" bonus. Thus, actual proximity does not matter for the experience bonus. I've used this to my advantage before, by having extremely low level leechers attend my clearing of an area, in order to boost my rate of exp. They can sit on a WP or by a TP and the experience boost when killing in the area extends everywhere in the area.
ouyang,Apr 9 2003, 07:16 AM Wrote:While I was doing nm bloody run, someone claims we should all start from the bottom because we'll will get more exp that way.  He claims if all characters are within the range of each other which means you can see all character names on the screen, you will get more exp. Is this correct?
IIRC, no.

Quote:Personally, I always thought if all characters are in bloody, everyone will get their share of exp.

That's been my impression also. I recall reading somewhere that experience was best if characters are in the same area, although that could have been "same Act".

Insofar as getting the kills equates to getting better experience I do know of one instance where this is true and that instance is your mercenary. The mercs will only benefit from kills they score or kills your character scores so if you have a cookie cutter team mate getting the kills expect your merc to be deprived of level gains. I've recently seen that in brutal effect with my (currently) wand-wielding Paladin who frequently teams with a bow-Necro and Werewolf. The bow-Necro and Wolf have both spent countless hours going back to level their mercs while my Paladin's merc consistantly sits a level behind the Paladin. The Werewolf even hired a new Rogue in Act 2 NM because his old Rogue was at level 18 when the character was in it's mid-thirties. :blink:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Experience is broken up by level. If a level 20 character and a level 80 character get 100 exp then 20 is for the lower level character

It is also penalised if you are not close to the monster level

It is penalised at 75,80,85,90,and 95

You get 35% bonus if a party member is in the same area

The hit points of monsters is based on the number of people in the game. The extra exp you get from killing them is based on the number of people but with people partied up in the same area counting for more

Mercs will catch-up eventually. It would be hard to leave NM with a merc significantly behind you unless you skip a lot of areas. If you want them to catch up then just go to an area where the monsters are similar level and kill lots of things. (I usually combine this with MFing :) )
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
A few clarifications, then:

Monster experience value is generated at the same time that monster life total is generated. Thus, if you spawn the monster with 8 people in game and then 7 of them leave, the monster will still have the same HP and XP when killed as if there were still 8 players in the game.

When the killing blow is struck, the XP earned is X * (1+.35*P), where P is the number of additional characters partied in the same zone beyond one...this can also be modeled as (.65+.35*P) where you count yourself in the calculation (thus if you are solo, P=1).

The sharing by level is determined by taking the character's level over the sum of all levels of sharing members.

This XP then is further modified by the "high level xp malus": 1/2 cut at 76-80, 2/3 cut at 81-85, 3/4 cut at 86-90, 4/5 cut at 91-98, fully cut (0 XP) at 99.

This XP then is further modified by level separation.
If clvl <= 25, the cut is based on abs(clvl-mlvl): if abs(clvl-mlvl) <= 5, no reduction is applied. At absolute separation of 6, 7, 8, 9, and >=10 levels, XP is reduced to 81%, 63%, 43%, 24%, and 5% respectively.
If clvl > 25, the cut is the same as above if clvl>mlvl. Else the XP is multiplied by clvl / mlvl.
There are times when a character near town will not get experiece from players killing monster on the far side (by Shenk) Even though they are in the same place, I gues it is possible to be in the same map location, but not be considered in the same area for experience. I've also noticed this in other places as well such as the river of flame and Tal Rasha's tomb.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Hail Aurikan, fellow LurkerLounge member,

WARNING!

That calculator is based on version 1.08.

Regards, Hunky
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
Albion Child,Apr 9 2003, 01:35 AM Wrote:There are times when a character near town will not get experiece from players killing monster on the far side (by Shenk)&nbsp; Even though they are in the same place, I gues it is possible to be in the same map location, but not be considered in the same area for experience.&nbsp; I've also noticed this in other places as well such as the river of flame and Tal Rasha's tomb.
I had to check this.

I did not find map location in BH where i could not get experience (tried from either end killing the furthest monster with other char).

I got experience standing on stairway from Frigid WP, when i killed with other char the monster closest to Harrogath.

Then i tried otherway, and both got experience from Shenk.

And Hi to Auri, who mentions the real killer of exp in lvl98, the level difference between you and normal monsters in hell act5. That is worst as it is additive to that 80% penalty from lvl90-.

But this is only my opinion...

RF
He may be reffering to the quest. You can't get the quest when leeching experience from near town when someone kills shenk.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Apr 10 2003, 10:54 PM Wrote:He may be reffering to the quest.&nbsp; You can't get the quest when leeching experience from near town when someone kills shenk.
I do not see connection then for River of Flame or Tomb.

But yes this true you have to be very close for Shenk quest. Quests are different than experience.

But this is only my opinion...

RF
Until my merc gets to lvl 25, I find that he is always well behind me in exp. This can be solved by replaying areas, but this is a pain in the butt. Once I get the merc to about 25, he seems to level much faster.

This may be due to the fact that I start new chars in 8 player games. Maybe the other players making a bunch of the kills sucks exp away from my merc.
USWest Hardcore Realms
Accounts: mikedok5, mikedok6
There's a nasty xp penalty when you're less than 25, and 5 levels below enemy monsters.