Poison, missiles, 1.10
Don't bother displaying it on the character screen at all. ;)

When you consider that in 9 times out of 10 any Poison addition to the damage display is going to be an inaccurate representation for any given hit, you may as well ditch the idea of displaying it altogether.

IMO Poison would be better off with a new field of its own.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Isolde,Apr 14 2003, 12:05 AM Wrote:It occurs to me that poison damage display is one of the messier things about d2 ;)  It'd probably be better as "X poison damage per second for N seconds".  Not sure how to display it in the character sheet though.
Agreed this one of the main sources of confusion over how poison works.

At one point players were requesting what types of changes they would have wanted to see in v1.10. My request would have been that when you held the pointer over the damage box on the character stats screen that it would bring up a bubble text like on some of the other boxes (blocking for example).
Display something like this
normal damage
fire damage
cold damage
lightning damage
poison damage (Xrate over Yduration)
magic damage

Useful for getting a lot of different effect totaled up (hopefully correctly).
I suspect that if they haven't already decided to do this it may now be too late for 1.10

It is certainly a great idea, perhaps for Diablo3
Ruvanal,Apr 14 2003, 10:13 PM Wrote:normal damage
fire damage
cold damage
lightning damage
magic damage
If you're going to go to that length, you may as well differentiate in the Physical Damage as it applies to Undead and Demon too. This is a pet peeve of mine in the damage display capabilities. I switch Holy Shock over to Sanctuary, watch the damage output drop nearly 1000 off the top end and speculate what the Paladin might be doing to Undead . . .

Physical Damage
Physical Damage to Demon
Physical Damage to Undead

fire damage
cold damage
lightning damage
Elemental Total Damage

magic damage
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Yup, we've discussed that sort of thing before, but I managed to forget to do it... oh well :(
Don't forget to include a chill duration along with cold damage :)
Isolde,Apr 14 2003, 04:31 PM Wrote:Yup, we've discussed that sort of thing before, but I managed to forget to do it... oh well :(
1.10a....1.10b....1.10c.....
1.11.....1.11a.....1.11b.....

Not to late to start on it for one these.

Edit:
Warblade, the ones that I listed should already have their values calculated on the client side and this is summed for the display. It should be relatively simple to pull these partial results before the summation to show the listing I was referring to. The Damage to Undead and Damage to Demon attributes areusually only handled serverside as the damage is being applied in the code. Still it would not hurt to get listings for them though. It would take adding some some extra routines on the clientside to do this though.
How about displaying poision damage the same way your %-chance to hit a monster is displayed when you put your mouse over your AR in the (lying) character screen??
It is possible to calculate manually using Tommi's guide
http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/weapondamage.html

Isolde, don't be down-hearted I think a lot of us like discovering unexpected things about the game