The horrors of the windows button.
Damn I hate that windows button, why did they HAVE to place it next to the Alt button ? I see the windows button as a silent killer and call it the "alttrap" as well, you wanna press alt and push that murderous button,which brings me to the desktop. Very VERY risky especially in hc.
I tend to pull that button out of my keyboard one day. :angry:

Who shares the same hatred for that button ? :rolleyes:
It must have to do with some of your systems settings. I press the windows button (either one) often enough by mistake and it never dumps me out of Diablo 2.
No such problems here. However I wisely ... appropriated ... some reject Acer keyboards (notice the plural) manufactured in 1993. Nobody heard of Windows 95 or 98 back then ... funny that. :lol:
It really screws you when you want to take a run through a pre-mouse-aiming first person shooter like Doom. I just can't get used to it :)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Apr 11 2003, 11:25 AM Wrote:It really screws you when you want to take a run through a pre-mouse-aiming first person shooter like Doom.  I just can't get used to it :)
That is why I always map my keys to use the numeric keypad. That's plenty of keys to configure and use, and it's far far away from interference (windows key, alt+tab, F1-12 and so on)
I have a Mac!

enough said! :lol:
The horror of the Windows key... on a Laptop.

It's even CLOSER to the Alt key! *shudder*

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Quote:The horror of the Windows key... on a Laptop.

It's even CLOSER to the Alt key! *shudder*

*tips helm* 
Post Settings

Thank you Toshiba!!!

The windows button is a tiny round button above the "F" buttons.

(too many "button"s)

I don't think I've ever hit it, even on purpose.

I've lost at least two HC characters due to accidentally hitting Alt + Tab.

I should change the automap key...
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
*Looks at laptop*

Hmmm, interesting, the CTRL key on the left is between the "Fn" key and the windows key. On the right, I have the windows key next to the "contextual menu" one, then CTRL.

Funny stuff can happen with these layouts :lol:
I actually figured out a trick to dispel that demonic button, when you push keep your finger on it (treat it like a mine) then push alt and you can release the Windows button without it getting "Windowed".

I hope this can save some lives. :lol:
For 2000/XP:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/903/

For 95/98/ME:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/549/
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Ah I love single player... alt+tab simply pauses the game.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Yeah, Alt-tab is by far a bigger killer than Windows. I've lovingly stroked my Winkey hundreds of times during D2 with no problems, but I had to train myself to stop bringing up the map while highlighting items...
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hi,

The keyboard definition I use is:

Swap weapons Tab
Stand still Shift
Toggle run/walk Caps Lock
Show items Space
Automap Mouse 3

Use belt 1 1
Use belt 2 2
Use belt 3 3
Use belt 4 4

Skill 1 Q
Skill 2 W
Skill 3 E
Skill 4 R
Skill 5 T

Skill 6 A
Skill 7 S
Skill 8 D
Skill 9 F
Skill 10 G

Skill 11 Z
Skill 12 X
Skill 13 C
Skill 14 V
Skill 15 B

Skill 16 5

Chat Enter
Screen shot Print Screen
Clear screen Ctrl

Character screen F1
Skill tree F2
Quest log F3
Inventory screen F4

Hireling screen F5
Party screen F6
Message log F7
Show belt F8

Skill speed bar F9
Show portraits F10
Clear messages F11
Toggle minimap F12

"Help" Keypad 0
"Follow me" Keypad 1
"This is for you" Keypad 2
"Thanks" Keypad 3
"Sorry" Keypad 4
"Bye" Keypad 5
"Now you die" Keypad 6
"Retreat" Keypad 7

Help screen -
Select previous skill -
Select next skill -
Run -
Center automap -
Fade automap -
Party on automap -
Names on automap -

It keeps all the keys needed while adventuring under the right hand. It doesn't use anything near the windows keys except Ctrl for Clear screen, which I don't think I've ever used. I would have rather used space for Stand Still, but that would have meant actually remapping the keyboard before and after each game -- just too much trouble. I never have an alt-tab problem and I never hit the windows keys. And it took me about an hour to get used to it.

BTW "-" above means "none"

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Yes, I have seen Hc characters die to the windows button.
Is there anyway to disable it permanently?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote: For 2000/XP:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/903/

Thanks for that link. My wife HATES the windows key :) It worked like a charm.

-DeeBye
I ripped out my keys a long time ago, to spray paint them a metallic blue. Never got around to putting the windows key back in. It's saved me plenty of lives, i'm sure. If you are lucky (depending on the type of keyboard you own) you can rip out keys and never worry about it again. My hewlett packard keyboard has 4 "walls" of plastic around the sensitive button pad... so when keys are ripped out they are impossible to hit accidently. Mmm the joys of hewlett packard.

Btw... if you do decide to spraypaint a keyboard, make sure you take the keys out, as well as prime them first.

Ahem. Yeah.
I don't have a windows key on my keyboard, but back in classic I used to always "accidentally" hit alt+F4, since I don't remap keys and I'd want to recast Valkyrie while holding alt. I eventually trained myself not to do it, but it was frustrating. What bothers me most now is people ICQing me, it always happens when I'm fighting something dangerous.
While looking for something more work related I came upon this Microsoft Knowledge Base article today:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Ben-us%3B181348

Unfortunately when I preview this post, the URL is garbled and it probably will be when (if) it shows up in the thread. The link *seems* to still work though. New feature of the forum software I guess...or has Bolty adopted DII's policy toward outside links?

It may (or may not) be the same information as in the winguides link Quark posted.

My own solution is to continue using the Heath/Zenith keyboard I've been working with for the past thirteen or fourteen years.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
i'm with u all the way. i ripped out my win key as soon as i got my new keyboard.
You all laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same!

This is a preamptive apology for any spelling errors, typos, bad grammer, and use of b.net short hand typing that u may find in my post and possibly in this signature.
Sorry.