Iron Wolfs and skill bonus items.
I know that Iron wolfs can increase their skill lvls using items that adds to them but i am a litle bit confused about that.
Did they benefit only from items that add to all classes skill lvls (ex. Tarnhelm) or they have the same positive effect using any item that adds skills to a specific class.( ex. sword +1 to barbarian, circlet +2 to amazon, shield +1 to paladin [not palladin class specific]).
Also what about skill tree bonuses items (ex. sword +2 to war cries.) ?

Its a little bit dificult to test it as their lvls didnt show on mercenary stats board. It can be done meazuring the size of inferno or even better observing the changes of defence rating on a cold merc using frozen armor but i am too lazy to test that. :D
Thanks for any feedback.
Bishiboss was slain by Bishibosh
From what I gather their spells can be raised in generally four ways:

1) Specific spell raising mods (Such as +1 to Glacial Spike)
2) Sorceress tree raising skills (Providing the tree matches the IM's school of magic - +1 Cold Tree will work on Cold Wolves only)
3) All skill raising mods (+1 to all skills)
4) All Fire/Cold/Lightning skill raising mods (For example, a charm that raises any Fire skill will raise anything on a Sorceresses Fire Tree, Paladin's Holy Fire, Amazon's Fire/Exploding/Immolation Arrows, and a Merc's Firebolt/Inferno)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...ST&f=93&t=14780

This is a long thread, but what you are looking for should be covered in it. There are a lot more options for increasing their skills than most players realize.
As a conclusion a made the following list of possible items that exist or can be spawn according to the preffixes/suffixes rules, and add to Iron Wolf skills.
(correct me if a am wrong or forget something.)

HELMS.
1)Unique helms.
- Tarnhelm +1 to all.
- Harlequin Crest +2 to all.
- Peasant Crown +1 to all.
2)Rare Circlets +1,+2 to Sorceress skill lvls. (?)
3) Rare Circlets +!, +2 +3 to Sorceress Skill trees. According to the type of tree benefit the the same type of Wolf. (ex. fire tree for the fire mage only.)
4) Set helms.
- Sazabi's Mental Seath. +1 to all.
5)Lore Runeword +1 to all.

ARMOR.
1)Unique armors.
- Silk of the Victor +1 to all.
- Spirit Shroud +1 to all.
- Que-Heagans Wisdom +1 to all.
- Skin of the Vipermagi +1 to all.
- Skullder's Ire +1 to all.
- Arkaine Valor +1,+2 to Sorc (?)

2) Set Armor
- Naj Light plate. +1 to all.

SWORDS.
1) Unique swords.
- Culvens Point +1 to all.
- Hellplague +2 to fire skills for the fire Wolf only.
- Hexfire +3 to fire skills for the fire Wolf only.
2)Runewords.
- Honor +1 to all
- Silence +2 to all.

SHIELDS.
1) Set shields.
- Sigon's Guard +1 to all.
2)Unique shields.
- Visceratuant +1 to sorc skill lvls. (?)
bishiboss,Mar 27 2003, 12:23 AM Wrote:-  Arkaine Valor +1,+2 to Sorc (?)
Slight problem: Arreat Summit lists the strength requirement of Arkaine's Valor at 165

Spirea's lists the strength of a level 99 Iron Wolf at 154.

I hope you like those Strength runewords. ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
bishiboss,

As I mentioned before there are more options that will work and they were detailed in the tread I listed.

For example on Helm's you could use a magic Harpoonist's Circlet (+3 spear & javlin skills) to boost a Cold Iron Wolf's skill level by +3.

Then a magical Echoing sword (+3 barb warcries) to boost the Cold IW by another +3.

Followed by using a magical Guardian's shield (+3 paladin defensive auras) for another +3 skill levels.

This would get his boost to +9 and then you could get it to +11 by using an Arkaine's Valor that is socketed with a Hel Rune (reqstr=132) and has +2 sorc skills on it.

You need to expand your list some.
Ruvanal, the reason i didnt include items with +skill tabs from other characters except sorceress, is that i dont think that works for the act3 mercs.

Are you sure that it works?

Unfortunately i am a poor tester and an even worst code examiner :(

Warblade, strength can do the trick and either a socketed helm with 2-3 amethyst, but the sacrifice is the lose of 1-2 skill lvls from these slots.
As Ruvanal mentioned Hel rune is by far the best solution.
bishiboss,Mar 26 2003, 06:57 PM Wrote:Are you sure that it works?

Unfortunately i am  a poor tester and an even worst code examiner  :(
Yes, it does work. Without modding the game, it is actually easiest to test with an act 3 merc. Use a lightning version and find a couple of +skill tab items that boost their skills. If you use one that start with a rater low level of Charged Bolt and compare the number of sparks in an attack with and with out the items, you should readily see the difference.
Mavina's Embrace (+2 passive) is also equipable earlier than Arkaine's Valor ...and for a lot less strength.

Arguably Valor might give the merc a better survivability :D
Wow, I had never considered M'avina's Embrace for a hireling! M'avina's would also work for an act II mercenary's offensive auras, would it not? -- since offensive auras are on the same skill tree position?

I wonder though whether this feature will still be working when the patch comes? M'avina's should still be good for a rogue's inner sight, I guess.

In the meantime, thanks for the idea!
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."