Running D2 with 2k
Hello Lurkers,

I have been faced with a slight dilema. I have a computer using Windows 2000 and can not seem to run Diablo II: Lord Of Destruction on it. Heck, I can not even run Diablo II Classic. Is there a way to play the game not as an administrator? Thank you in advance and I appreciate any help.
Have you updated your Windows to the current service pack?
Win2K has had several compatibility pack released for it, and you _will_ need these for certain games to work.

If you havn't, visit Windows Update and grab the updates.

If you have, then I'm at a loss for tips since the first "game" I've installed on my 2k machine was Diablo II.
This seems like the information I need. However, how does one go along getting these service packages and do they cost anything? Another question is if there are more than one (which i think there will be) does this mean I have to get all of them and apply all of them to my computer? Thank you for your useful information. More of uch information would be the best.
:D

Click Start -> Windows Update.

Go from there. ;)

Rinse and repeat weekly, or at LEAST once a month.

Thank me later. Oh, and no, I don't charge anything for this information. Were I to BUILD or FIX your computer, however... ;)

Good luck, and keep us posted if you have any more problems. I run Windows 2000 myself (solely as an Administrator, though), so I can try and help you if you need it.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
No, no...no, I think I'll thank you now :D . That was quite helpful. I have a question though. Is that the only problem that needs to be fixed? I mean, are there any other possible problems? Thanks in advance (as always).
i have no problem running it off w2kpro it runs nice :)

this also include warcraft3 and d2 and wc2 windows and sc, d21 ask away i will answer i know my way around w2kpro
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
I have a question then. Is there any way of playing D2 without using the administrator account? Also, does that have anything to do with installing it as my own user and not the administrator's account? answers to these questions would be great.
If you install D2 from a user account, then you will be able to play it through that account.
...isn't there some restriction sometimes, where you need Administrator access to install things?

God, $9k for training classes and already I'm forgetting everything. :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*
It all depends on the installer and how it's configured.
Yes, there are certain things, like write-to-registery access, but user accounts should have permission to do that, unless configured otherwise.
DiabloII doens't try to do anything stupid, like putting files into different folders that can be restricted or access certain sectors that are Admin only, so it installs fine. I've done it at least 3 times with different Blizz games.
Uhh....yeah. Whatever you guys said. Anyway, I did install it as my own user but I still can not access the game. I also have the updates. I have a feeling that Roland might be right. All the help is great. It would be awesome if I could get more informaiton though.
Here's a tip:
Try INSTALLING under Administrator. Or, better yet, log on as Administrator and give your regular user account "Administrator Rights".

BTW - Is there some reason why you DON'T want it under Administrator?
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Simple Reason: I don't really have access to it. What would happen if I got administrative rights? Isn't that a power user?
In a situation that You cannot be an Admin (If you are at work and should'nt be doing this :) ), you may want to possibly creating a disc with the bare minium installed....even if it can be done, it probally would run terribly....

Good Luck

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East