Classic 800x600 possible?
Hi there,

I'm a long time D2 player and reader of the forums that has recently started playing Classic v1.0(tired of LOD). A little nostalgia goes a long way but....

I was wondering if there is a way of playing Classic 1.0 in 800x600?

I've flung this question around a couple of forums but no one seems to remember a modified MPQ that came out just before LOD that enabled Classic players to use the higher resolution. I installed it myself the day before I bought LOD.

I dug up what could be the MPQ here. It hasn't worked for any patched version I've tried. I believe 1.08 you are able to run in 800x600 via a registry change but I don't want to run that patch!

Please, any help would stop me from installing LOD again!
Hail yob,

There was no way to do it in 1.0 (why the heck you would play in 1.0 is beyond me anyways: 1.06 was FAR better): it was possible only in 1.07 (which came as a part of 1.08).
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
If you have to expansion installed you can play 1.09 classic but that's it.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Is it your intention to play DiabloII 1.00 or any such old patch before 1.09?
Or just DiabloII classic, but with the current patch?

If you wish to play patch 1.06 or before at 800x600, it is impossible since the increased resolution was introduced with 1.08. (*or 1.07. Saw Elric's post right after I finished writing. Not exactly clear on patch history anymore*)
The game engine simply does not support higher resolutions on any older patch.
If you did not know or have forgotten, the reason why Classic players could play at 800x600 when 1.08 was released was that an oversight in the patch which allowed non-LoD players to activate the new feature. If you have ever seen it done, you'll know that although the patch had updated the engine to support the new resolution, the GUI did not, and seams were everywhere.

The easiest way to play classic at the higher resolution is simply install LoD again, and create non-exansion characters. Otherwise, you're stuck with the not-exactly-pretty 1.08 MPQ modification.

Also, IIRC, wasn't v.1.00 unplayable on B.net due to a mistake in burning the Gold?
It was my intention to play v1.0 and I don't play on Bnet at all so that isn't an issue. The reason I wanted to do this was simply to replay my old Speary again with a lot more knowledge this time. I remember playing with a scythe for the longest time with her! :D Now that was friggin' fun!