Please help a newbie...
Big respect to all the community.I would like to receive some information from probably the best Diablo players all over the planet.Help me choose between the single-player game and a multi-player-direct-cable-one-player-hack-and-slashing(whew...)
I heard that in single you can't choose a difficulty-is it so?
Thank you in advance.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
You can select a difficulty in singleplayer, although it's a bit tricky. First you have to enter a multiplayer game with the desired difficulty, and then start a new singleplayer game. It will have the same difficulty as the last multiplayer game.

So if you want a nightmare difficulty singleplayer game, start an IPX/B.Net/DirectConnection nightmare game (you need a multiplayer character of suitable level) and then a singleplayer game with your singleplayer character. There is no character level check, so be careful. I just entered a Hell singleplayer game with a level 1 warrior to try it out and it worked. I didn't survive long, but I got in.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Hi,

As Yogi_Baar said, you can generate higher difficulties in single player. What needs to be stressed is that you have to have a *multi-player* character of sufficient level (20 for Nightmare, 30 for Hell). If you play a single player character completely through Normal and Nightmare, he will probably be about level 28 or so. So, to get that character to Hell, you would have to play your multi-player character more than your single player character. Kinda settles the question ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

It's pretty simple: the multi-player DCC solo option is much better than single-player (for many, many reasons), so choose that.

You're welcome. ;)
What about quests?

I honestly think people should play through single player at least once for each class, just to experience some quests - kinda adds variety. Multiplayer is superior in the long run, but single player is best, especially when starting out with the game, to "get your feet wet."

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Well, yes the single-player quests are more interesting than the multi-player ones, and I agree with you that it's well worth going through the single player game at least once (though personally, I'd say going through it once with one class is enough, unless you really want to see every quest -- you can always try a new class in multiplayer). But otherwise single player just doesn't the have long-term options of even solo-multiplayer (as I know you're saying too).
I would also like to add the challenge concept of Multiplayer.

In SP, monsters are weaker, you have the ability to purchase jewelry and no item recoveries are needed.

Still, SP is very interesting for the quests and also to view the little cinematic with Laz's diabolic ritual at his chamber ( red bright eyes ) :)
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
Hi,

The original question was: "Help me choose between the single-player game and a multi-player-direct-cable-one-player-hack-and-slashing(whew...)".

Now, your answer is "both", and I agree with you for the reasons you give. But that isn't really an answer to the question asked, now is it? ;)

--Pete

Pete,Apr 18 2003, 04:08 PM Wrote:Now, your answer is "both", and I agree with you for the reasons you give.  But that isn't really an answer to the question asked, now is it? ;)
With my post I intended to show the reasons why the MP experience was better than SP overall.

1. Tougher monsters in MP
In CD Normal difficulty, SP monsters have half the number of Hit Points from the equivalent MP monsters. In Classic Hellfire that rate is equal for the new monsters in all difficulties

2. Ability to purchase jewelry in SP
You can that way theoratically get a very effective setup without any need of item runs and instead massive shopping. Purchasing prefixed Zodiac jewelry will be easier than acquiring them in Laz runs.

3. No need for item recoveries
Saving the game often is your backup. No inventory slots needed for alternative setups. An item recovery is IMHO a very rewarding experience which can't be simulated in SP.

4. The "Quests" factor
So, I have pointed out three reasons to make the SP experience easier than the MP experience. The quests are another factor that can unbalance the game. A mlvl 25 Unique Monster on late cats ( Zhar ) may grant another ability for a middle aged character long before it hits Hell. Other examples would include Leo's Quest Item that has higher average lifesteal and AC to its only MP equivalent ( Helm of Sprits ).

Still, having pointed out all those reasons, why would be the point of playing in Single Player if the best challenge and emotional co-oping experience is in MP? The same factor I listed as 4.

Alternative and aditional dungeon layouts for the (sub)Quests ( Poisoned Water, Halls of the Blind, Laz's Chamber ) add an interesting aspect for the game and also help with the game atmosphere itself, granting more details to the background story.

Conclusion: Overall, MP > SP, yes. Still, it is very interesting to experience each one of the SP quests. If my first answer was contradictory for you, I am sincerely sorry and hope I have corrected this time.

Edit: Small glitch concerning HF
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Hi,

View these fora in threaded view. That way you will be able to see who is talking to whom. Since my post was in response to Bolty's, it had nothing to do with you. The brain dead non-threaded view that was "invented" by the bulletin board kiddies requires too damned much effort and too much unnecessary quoting just to keep track of what the structure does in threaded view.

--Pete

SteinHerz,Apr 18 2003, 05:46 PM Wrote:3. No need for item recoveries
Saving the game often is your backup. No inventory slots needed for alternative setups. An item recovery is IMHO a very rewarding experience which can't be simulated in SP.
Step 1: Enter dungeons, travel to a highly populated area and drop all equiped items as fast as possible

Step 2: Move to safe area, cast bone spirit / blood star until life < 10. Cast any other spells until mana is exhausted

Step 3: Travel to spawn point, save game

Step 4: Return to dungeons and die where you dropped your items

Step 5: Reload game

Heal, and proceed with item recovery.

Not exactly what you had in mind... :)
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
the Langolier,Apr 20 2003, 02:26 AM Wrote:Not exactly what you had in mind... :)
Well, you have shown a way to simulate an item recovery situation in SP.

The point is that you are doing such steps on purpose while getting M'Ked is generally an accidental situation that could have been avoided by various means ( drinking potions, 2-step and casting an escape spell ). People generally don't die because they want to.

Also, if the situation of getting killed during the "recovery" ever happen, you won't be able to proceed with the action. ( Unless of course you reload the game ).

And reloading the game is something you cannot do in MP...