What's this about white, black, etc armor?
I logged onto open B.net a couple of weeks ago and people were talking about some armors/items that corresponded to a color (white armor, black armor, etc). What's that all about?

Delete this post if you wish admins. I hope you don't, though. I'm just asking out of curiosity.
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
I assume they were refering to some of the hacked items out there. While I've never heard of white armor (or "black" anything) I have seen a white ring.

Out of curiosity, has everyone out there seen some of the stuff that's circulating out there? I started visiting the sites those bots are always spamming, just out of curiosity (the fact that people pay real money for imaginary items absolutely bewilders me). Let's put it this way. Remember the Simpson's episode where they move the whole town a few miles down the road because of the mountain of garbage? Right at the end, the one guy says to the other "do yourself a favour -- don't turn around."

If you haven't seen this stuff, don't turn around.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
gekko,Apr 18 2003, 03:16 AM Wrote:(the fact that people pay real money for imaginary items absolutely bewilders me)
Makes sense to me - I gave money to Blizzard for some CDs full of bits.

I'd always thought that if there was some item in D2 that I really wanted and just couldn't find or trade for, that I wouldn't mind spending a couple bucks on it. If the enjoyment I got out of it was worth the money, why not?

Hasn't happened, yet, though.

-- CH
(who got entertainment value going to ebay and seeing the absurd prices other people were willing to pay for stuff)

(If legit-ness weren't a worry, I'd pay a quarter for a Baranar's Star.)
White armor adds to defense based on char level (if it is *truely* white) or at least it did back in version something or another (or I have just played too many mods, or it is a case of a bugged item, again...) and black does something else.
gekko,Apr 17 2003, 11:16 PM Wrote:I assume they were refering to some of the hacked items out there.  While I've never heard of white armor (or "black" anything) I have seen a white ring.
Well there is the Black rune word for maces, Thuk+Io+Nef.

I once made what *should* have been a Black Wirt's leg, but I learned rune words do not apply to what the game consideres quest items. I would be delighted if this were fixed in 1.10. So would my Wirt's leg barbarian.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Vash,Apr 17 2003, 10:09 PM Wrote:I logged onto open B.net a couple of weeks ago and people were talking about some armors/items that corresponded to a color (white armor, black armor, etc).  What's that all about?
I think that it has something to do with the actual colors of the item in question. Armor is easy to spot, of course, and I think the weapons would look somewhat black on the display screen. I have never seen these, though, so I'm not totally sure.

As for the other items that don't show up (jewelry, gloves, boots, and belts), I think it has to do with the fact that the item "name" is done with white font only. Like gold for uniques, yellow for rares, etc. I've also seen screenies of the "white" ring.

These people are so creative in naming their items. <_<
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Well, I guess the LL is the wrong place to ask about such things! :P (thankfully) nobody here seems to have any information....

I was just curious as to what mods these items had. I wondered what kind of mods I would put on an item if I could do anything I wanted with it. Maybe I'd give it a +100 light radius. Or perhaps +2345987 defense per character level....

If the possibilities were limitless, at what point would I stop?
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Well, you could do a quick search on ebay to find out what's the latest bugged items out there but like you said...you'd feel better just not looking. I will say though that any one of those items, let alone using all of them, makes playing in games with people using them a joke I'd assume. Haven't seen public play in months.

While it used to be fun trying to fight back against PK's, even that part of the PK argument has been shattered.
Basically, they are just insanely hacked items that have a white or black color (if you recall, a special item modifier affects color, as such with items like sigon's set). There aren't really any differences between them. Any item type can be found as a "white" or "black" such as rings, armor, bows, boots. They are full of 20-30 mods (yea, in fact, it isn't rare to see an item that was so many mods they won't even display), and each mod is raised well above valid ranges for that affix. Armors most often have +DR (per clvl), +DR, +%DR.

When wearing a full set of these items, characters virtually have "god mode" with a million life/mana, Defense rating near 30K flowing off the character screen, attack rating of 50K, minimum damgage > 20K (max damage is off the charts), all resistances +500%, and a sum of +50 to all skills or so. Of course, no character can be complete without +125% absorb fire/coldghtning and +100 absorb from every equiped item. Also, I'm sure the magic find is in the multiple thousands percentage, and all stats are boosted by 100 easily.

It is not suprising open consists of 90% dueling/pk - just how many times can you kill baal in one hit before it becomes old.

All of this is based on the last time I logged onto open for 10 minutes a year ago. It is suprising blacks and whites are still around, I would have thought they have moved into something new by now.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
All I've ever heard of whites/blacks/blues etc. was to change the color of your items. There are many editors that I have used (Exclusively single player) where I can put 25 or so points into a skill to see if it is fun for me (thank god for this because it is how I discovered how boring frozen orb is. I wish I could stil "pretest" my characters lie this but when a few items dissappeared from my account, I thought it best to delete these programs for fear that one contained a keylogger or something.

Anyway, The Read me for one of these programs described Whiting as a process where you change the color only of items you have just to make them look cooler. So you could maike a pitch black setup for your ASSN necro or a bright white setup for a pally etc. Te modsalways stay the same though as far as I know.

Anyway, I expect to take some flame for this probably. I'll admit, testing characters like this is cheesy. But it's single player that I do it and I'd rather be a little cheesy than wor to build a character I don't have any fu playing. :ph34r:
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Nothing wrong with using a trainer for testing *in single-player*, as you're not affecting anyone else. I've tested skills that way myself. I just made sure I didn't have that loaded if I went into bnet. That would be cheating, eh?

And you're right. How fun is it to kill hell Baal in one hit? That's why I only ever used them to test skills and stuff.
--Mav
Yeah, what Lang said. I meant that most of the Whites and Blacks (and whatever else color you can get) were items that are hacked up the wazoo. My fingers were working way better than my brain early this morning. That was the reason for the "dry" smilie. :)

I guess I need to load up on caffeine again so I'm somewhat coherent when posting. ;)
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Plenty of folks there who will be happy to explain.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
nt
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Oh, and BTW, I saw someone in a trading channel saying he wanted white armor (or duped/hacked/bugged...) with a stat that modifies its color... so people will pay extra for it. :blink:
Toothrow? :D
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)