Classic v1.03 socketed item question...
Hi all,

Some of you may remember me from the DSF, others from the old LL (but not the OLD old one ;-), and others may have no idea who I am. Doesn't matter. I have a question about D2 v1.03 (obviously, without the LoD expansion). If you would rather tell me to upgrade than reply, don't bother. I have reasons I consider good and sufficient to play an older version.

Now, down to it! I have a level 42 Necromancer in Hell Act 2 who has 3 perfect diamonds and a socketed tower shield (the diamonds have not been inserted). I also have on him a rare tower with enhanced blocking (64%) and 25%ish to all resistances (about half what a triple diamond shield would give me). I'm also getting my butt kicked due to low resistances. Some might say, "So socket your 3dT!! Duh!", and I would agree, but I hate to lose that extra 20% blocking.

I was wondering, if I were to wait on socketing until I find a "Superior" socketed tower (or Pavise, I'm not picky ~_^), one with enhanced blocking, and socket THAT with the diamonds, would it retain the enhanced blocking in its gemmed form, or would the "Superior" enhancements vanish, rendering it a plain vanilla 3dT? If the enhancement is retained, I want to wait for the extra blocking; my other char in Hell/Hell seems to find superior socketed towers all the time. If not, I'll want to socket NOW to get the extra resists.

What should I do? Any help would be appreciated! =)

-Kasreyn

P.S. This is a cross-post from the DSF Community.
..."Superior" shields do not get enhanced blocking, as far as I can recall. That being said, no, you will not lose any enhanced properties by inserting gems into the socketed shield. It retains the exact base item, rather than "rerolling" it. As such, while it may be labeled "Gemmed Tower Shield", it will in fact retain its enhanced properties from the "Superior" mod, i.e. increased Defense Rating or Durability.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I'd recomend carryin 2 sheilds. 1 is a 3PD and one a increased blocker.....

Doh I almost told you to make Rhyme.......stupid! Stupid!! STUPID!!!
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci