How To Re-Roll Charms
Hello to all,
I was just wondering how to re-roll charms. Also, does the re rolling of charms work for any kind of charm no matter what type?
3 Perfect Gems (of any type) plus 1 Magic item = 1 Magic Item with (probably) new mods.

Waste of gems IMO. :lol:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Can Pskulls work with this formula?
Yes, you can use perfect skulls for this. The perfect skulls might be be better saved for the formula
6 perfect skulls + 1 rare item -> 1 low level rare item
ilvl_new=int(0.40*clvl)+int(0.40*ilvl_old)
The 6 perfect skull formula is best on a few of the items that have high qlvls(70+) or on rare diadems. For the the diadems, it works out that reguardless of the ilvl on the diadem you will always have all the rare circlet affixes available.

Warblade:
Quote:3 Perfect Gems (of any type) plus 1 Magic item = 1 Magic Item with (probably) new mods.

Waste of gems IMO.
The waste would depend on what items that you are using them on. Some items cannot be obtained easily from drops (very low chance of dropping, especially with the desired affixes) or from the shops. The items that can be obtained from shopping are not good choices. But some items like a Matriarchal Bow will seldom drop and almost never with desired affixes (i.e. 'Cruel'), so using the gems to keep 'rerolling' a good one may some players best use of the gems they find (unless they want to deal in dupped items).

Another case is the small charms of ilvl 95+ for the pupose of getting the 4 highest elemental damage prefixes on them. Since it is hard to to get one of these charms to start with, the 3 Perfect Gem formula can be the more practical way of seeing these types of small charms with resorting to dealing in duped items.
It's only a waste for people who like yourself normally play single player where you can't easily move an item from one character to another. :P

IMO the best non crafting use for gems is this recipe. When you look at the chances for a skill charm to be rolled (especially if you get a late nightmare charm) you can roll skill charms pretty often. I have gained about 1/2 of my skill charms this way and I have on average probably about 4 or 5 per character (thats 16 chars, I limited myself to 2 bnet accounts :) ).

I would certainly not call 4 or more to your favorite skill tab(s) a "waste" unless you really love inventory space. <uglywink> ;) </uglywink>
Sir_Die_alot,Apr 20 2003, 01:12 PM Wrote:It's only a waste for people who like yourself normally play single player where you can't easily move an item from one character to another. :P
Even when multiplayer gaming, I refuse to cheat. Mules are for the weak. <_<

Quote: IMO the best non crafting use for gems is this recipe. When you look at the chances for a skill charm to be rolled (especially if you get a late nightmare charm) you can roll skill charms pretty often. I have gained about 1/2 of my skill charms this way and I have on average probably about 4 or 5 per character (thats 16 chars, I limited myself to 2 bnet accounts :) ).

True enough. I've used the recipe to put a functional bow into the hands of a weapon-deficient Amazon and chewed up 6 gems to get something workable. The recipe does have it's moments.

Quote: I would certainly not call 4 or more to your favorite skill tab(s) a "waste" unless you really love inventory space.&nbsp; <uglywink> ;) </uglywink>

. . . or if you play Paladins.

I play Paladins mostly. Considering he's frequently only the product of three skills split between 2 trees, bonuses to entire trees don't go far. If I ever felt the need to throw that recipe into assisting my Paladin characters, I'd be using Small Charms or weapons.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
The affix calculator here is useful:
http://www.diabloii.nu/affixcalc/

It's generally considered best to use an item just good enough to be able to get the affixes you want

I prefer grand charms from the end of Act 2 NM onwards (ilvl 50 enables skills) and small charms from the end of NM onwards (ilvl 61 enables of Vita and of Good Luck). Ruvunal is quite right about the high level elemental damage affixes - to some extent it is a matter of personal taste with regard to what you are looking for

I have also spent some time looking for a small charm from Hell Nilathak - potentially a 450 poison damage small charm ;)

I think cubing charms is very strong both for twinked characters and for no twink characters and that it is the most effective use of perfect gems

You can check monster levels (which tells you the ilvl of things they drop) on Spirea's site, hosted here and accessible from the front page