Local Area multiplayer question
I've recently attempted a couple of times to get a multiplayer game started on the lan without any luck. Any other game, including diablo2, work just fine on lan.

I used direct cable connect, created the game, but the other computer could never detect it. Is there anything special I need to do? Thanks.
How are these computers connected to each other?

It sounds like you may have selected the 'direct cable connect' option when the 'local area network (IPX)' option was needed, or vice versa.

'Direct cable connect' is only for two computers which are connected to each other directly by a serial cable.
The first time they were connected by crossover cable and the second time hooked up with other computers through a hub. Each time I tried IPX (and I have no clue what it really is of course) it said it wasn't an option so direct cable was the only option left and got the results I originally posted.

Is the direct cable option outdated and IPX the only way to get D1 set up now? My knowledge on most of this is rather low obviously.
Sounds like you do not have the IPX protocol installed. Unlike most newer games, D1 can only connect in LAN via IPX, not via TCP/IP.
If you do not know how to check if you have IPX installed, post what operating system(s) you are running, and I am sure someone here will be able to help you with detailed instructions :)

Moldran
You need to have the IPX protocol installed on your computer for it to work (obviously). Most newer games communicate via the TCP/IP protocol, which would explain why DII works. To install IPX, go to [Network/Dial-up Connections -> LAN connection -> Properties] and on the general tab click [Install -> Protocol -> IPX/SPX protocol]. That's in Win2000, the procedure is probably very similar in other versions.

You mentioned you had a cross-over cable, was that connected via the network cards or via the serial/parallel port? Because Direct Cable Connection IMHO works for the latter scenario. I've never tried it though, it just seems logical (IPX for network & DCC for the other way).
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
They were plugged in via the network cards and nope, I didn't have IPX installed so that's probably what it was. I installed it now so it will probably work fine. Thanks a lot everybody.
Would playing over a LAN reduce the lag you get when you play on Kali?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
No idea but when I'm hooked up on Lan, i'm not connected to the internet. I assume it'd be the same for bnet since it switches to peer to peer once the game is made.
Hello MEAT,

Yes Lag is reduced to a very minimal amount when one uses a home-network, that is without any Internet connection intervening.
I have played LAN games on my home network with the following results.
- 2 comps connected with cross-over cable through Network cards at 10Mbps = barely noticeable lag
- 2 comps connected with cross-over cable through Network cards at 100Mbps = No lag at all
- 4 comps connected through network cards and Hub at 10Mbps = barely noticeable lag
- 2 comps connected through IEEE 1394 cable (Firewire) at 400Kbps = No lag at all
For Direct cable games:
- 2 comps connected with serial (COM Ports) cable (null-modem cable) = Barely noticeable lag
- 2 comps connected through High Speed Parallel cable (LPT ports) = No Lag at all.

Only problem I have is how to wield 4 mice and 4 keyboards with only 2 hands.
Sometimes I wish I was an octopus but -alas- comps are not waterproof.

ArthurDent

P.S.: All tests above were conducted with TheDark. Original CD's of D, HF, D2 and LOD were used as "special home-networking devices" (i.e. coasters) :)