Hellfire: Fixed
Quote:NEW: Hork Demon began causing crashes at some point, so he's been removed. (I have a suspicion what the problem is, but I'd rather not fix it if it means un-doing one of the above changes.)
Quote:8.3.3 Little Girl

If you have activated the hidden quests (see chapter 1.2), you will find a little girl standing close to the bridge just above the one that leads to the Hive. She will only appear once you have been to the Hive. When you kill the Hork Demon on level 3 of the Nest, he will drop Theodore, the teddy bear. Take it to the little girl and she will give you a random magic amulet created from an ilvl of 26. If you have not activated the hidden quests, the Hork Demon will drop a random magic amulet also created from an ilvl of 26.
So... How does the quest work now?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
The quest should do nothing now. If you turn on "Theoquest" and crash, you'll just need to turn it off.

Hork Demon removal is no big deal, though. There are sufficient bosses in the Hive to keep you busy.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
The problem with the Hork Demon is probably his spawning of Hork Spawn. If you change his attack type he should be giving you no trouble anymore
[Image: Zamal.gif]
You guys did fix old MS, and have the code lying around a forum somewhere... any technical reason why Lemming didn't include it? I might be wiling to lend my limited ASM knowledge on getting this implemented in Lemming's mod. ;)
Hello Zamal,

That is very possible, but it might also be the meddling with amulets. We had that problem too, once, but unfortunately I forgot how we fixed that.

Hello Foxbat,

The problem with our MS fix was that it did more then just handle the no-stun. It also turned the 33% damage reduction in (slvl dependant) extra damage, for example. Also, back then our notes were not always understandable, and that might have kept Lemming from using it :).
Game crashes when Hork Demon dies. So, I believe it has to do with changes made to amulets. I know the game checks, for example, Na-Krul's drops right down to the graphic value. I wonder if Hork Demon does the same? If that is the case, I'd rather disable the force-amulet-drop than change amulet pics back to that mundane blue thing.

As far as your notes go, much of what I didn't include had to do with me not understanding asm. However, your notes still proved extraordinarily helpful. If there was something I couldn't find, I usually found it after a few minutes of shuffling through that pile of txt files. ;)

Hello Lemming,

Ah yes, disabling the forced drop is what we did. It freed a lot of codespace :). Searching the notes for 'King of the Nest' will propably lead you to it.

Are you planning for updates? If so, you could consider disabling Griz' (and possibly Wirt's) habit of selling you ever better items. It will also provide for more diversity in Griz' shop. While certainly not a bug, this behaviour is very bad design, IMO. It's only a one byte change, and in the notes.
BTW, I don't have Hellfire, so there's really no reason for me asking these questions. But what the hell, someone has to :)

The Bovine Plate can now drop, rendering the Jersey's Jersey quest obsolete. Gold is now in stacks of 10,000, rendering the Auric Amulet useless (Unless the mod makes the stacks even bigger with the amulet, perhaps 15-20k, it's not specified in the readme). So what of the quests?

I gather someone gives you the Rune Bomb (Either Lester or the Complete Nut™), but do you get anything in return for completing the quests? (Bombing the Hive with Lester, retrieving the suit for the Nut)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
The Bovine Plate can now drop, rendering the Jersey's Jersey quest obsolete.

Not obselete. Players who *really* want one can simply use Jersey quest to get one immediately.

Gold is now in stacks of 10,000, rendering the Auric Amulet useless (Unless the mod makes the stacks even bigger with the amulet, perhaps 15-20k, it's not specified in the readme).

"(No more Auric Amulet, either)"

Auric Amulet is gone period.

I gather someone gives you the Rune Bomb (Either Lester or the Complete Nut™), but do you get anything in return for completing the quests? (Bombing the Hive with Lester, retrieving the suit for the Nut)

Of course.

Just wondering whether you corrected the buggy "Berserk" spell in this fixed Hellfire.

Problem with the spell was that if you "berserked" a creature but carefully did not activate others around him, the berserked creature would then kill all those around him without "activating" them himself. Thus he'd take no damage in return, and could kill 'ad nauseum' as long as his movement brought him into contact with opponents.

This in turn lends itself to the "ultimate cheese kill" of Diablo on 16, since there is one (and only one?) foe there you can Berserk, and who then can attack Diablo.

Of course one could claim that not getting experience from these kills offsets this "bug". But I don't know -- a "free" Diablo-kill using this spell? Seems like a bug to me.

Kudos on your efforts, sir!

Attika
I didn't write the Readme for nothin', y'know. :p

I can't fix broken routines; I wouldn't know what I was looking at. But I can add fixes if somebody's done it in hex.

Hello Lemming,

There are several problems with the Berserk spell, but the most important is indeed that attacked monsters are not activated. A fix for that can also be found in our notes, but I'll give the code here.

You will need 14 bytes of free space. We used location 0047A9B2, but that space might not be available to you. If so, find a sequence of 14 'nop' and adjust the call for it (or ask, and I'll gladly help).

This will only work for monsters that are attacked in melee, but that is the most common. In HF, Berserk only works on not magic immune creatures.

Melee Monster vs. Monster

Activation of target monster (for when attacked by Charmed monster):

File Offset 0003CFB6

:0043DBB6 39BE8CDC6900 cmp dword ptr [esi+0069DC8C], edi
change to
:0043DBB6 E8F7CD0300 call 0047A9B2 <- adjust this call if needed
:0043DBBB 90 nop

File Offset 00079DB2

:0047A9B2 90... 14*nop
change to
:0047A9B2 808E28DD6900FF or byte ptr [esi+0069DD28], FF <- code that activates target
:0047A9B9 39BE8CDC6900 cmp dword ptr [esi+0069DC8C], edi
:0047A9BF C3 ret

Sorry for the bad spacing. Can't get it right, it seems.
I have absolutely no idea what to do with that. :\

Is flash better? Worse? No comment?