Gems in uniques.
Does the color of uniques change when they are soceted with a gem.

For example, will a ruby in Lightsaber give it a Red, evil color, while a saphire/emerald will change it to a "good" color.

A purple LS would rock too....

I ask because if it doesn't affect color then I will socket stuff with more useful runes/jewels etc.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
no i don't think it does. i have a culwen's point socketed w/ a perfect amethyst and its still the same color

EDIT: but don't take my word for it
[font=Arial size=3]If 'I think therefore I am' is true, then is 'I think not, therefore I am not' true?[/font]

Virginia Tech is the best damn school in the country! I'm not too sure about the cities though....
No, they don't. They don't even change the color in some white items.
Quote:They don't even change the color in some white items.

Pardon? White as in "mundane" or white as in "palette shift"?

Mundane items go grey as soon as you punch holes in them. White palette items, whether rare or magic, already have their palette set by their affix, so any socketing will fall under the same rules as Set or Unique items.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Right. Never try and write posts 5 minutes after waking up. I was referring to "mundane" items, but you're right, they do turn grey. But I was also speaking about Katars and how they don't have a color change, but I realized after playing my Assassin that it's just a little tiny color change at the bottom of the blade.
Just a note......since he mentioned LS (a phase blade)......weapons from the class don't have a colorshift on their blade - only the hilt....

Also uniques, sets, rare, and magic's pallette shifts are permanent (because they are shift #1 and dominant - it doesn't consider any beyond it - does that with first jewel/gem/rune input in a mundane item too) - or else you'd get a really ugly as hell color w/ a sword that's got a Ruby, Sapph, emerald, and topaz in it.....*shudder*....
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
I've soceted Phase blades/crystal swords/(Whatever the exceptional is called) before(not LS) and there is a signifigant change in the bottom portion of the blade, near the blades centerline. I think it's a cool effect, though it is very subtle...
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
Nicodemus Phaulkon,Apr 24 2003, 02:59 PM Wrote:Mundane items go grey as soon as you punch holes in them.&nbsp; White palette items, whether rare or magic,&nbsp; already have their palette set by their affix, so any socketing will fall under the same rules as Set or Unique items.
Are we talking about item text color? I'm a bit confused since I thought the original question was if they changed color in inventory or on the character, i.e. nothing about text color? AFAIK, items (not the text) won't turn grey when socketed.

Anyway, not all inventory pictures of items have clearly visible transforms and I think this is poor design by Blizzard. The mod Eastern Sun clearly shows in the latest version (version 2.2), by using a bit more clever base item coloring, that color transformations can be made much more visible on the inventory (not avatar) pictures. Items seen on the character avatar and how they transform is completely unrelated to the inventory pictures.

Also, gems up to (and including) Flawless Gems use one kind of color transform, and Perfect Gems seem to use another, according to the "transform" column in gems.txt residing in the MPQ file. It seems like Chipped - Flawless Gems use a light color transform and Perfect Gems use a dark transform, but it could be the reverse if I'm misinterpreting things. :)

No transforms are applied to items that aren't of cracked/normal/superior quality as people have said before.
<span style="color:orange">Account: jugalator // <span style="color:orange">Realm: Europe // <span style="color:orange">Mode: Softcore (kinda inactive nowadays though)
Loyal Diablo fan since 1997 :-)