Ascii Fortified Account Passwords
Think it's safe to use ascii in my account passwords?
I can't post to the battle.net forums because of it.
One time GFrazier on the forum there mentioned that maybe game accounts shouldn't allow ascii.
Do you think I'm safe or will not be able to log in after 1.10?

With all the corrupt things happening on bnet, I think it would be foolish to disable the use of ascii in passwords.
Since I speak both French and English, I sometimes choose password that contains é ê è à â... characters. I learned that some services allows the use of those characters while other don't.

I wanted to be on the safe side so now all my passwords are A-Z, a-z, 0-9 characters only. That would be my advice. Better safe than sorry !

By the way, there is probably a word for those ` ^ characters in English ? What is it ?

Methraton
@Methraton:
When you say "` ^ characters", are you talking about your previous examples of "é ê è à â"? If so, I believe we call those accented letters, similar to as you would in French. Though I'm not sure if we use the same nomenclature (ie, I doubt that the 'à' would count as having an accent grave...don't know what else we'd call it, though). If you were simply talking about what we'd call the '`' and '^' characters, I'm not sure of the first one, but the second is a caret.
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
Hi,

Although that is not a common term in English since it does not use those marks except in imported words. The combination of a letter and its mark is often called an "accented" letter, although technically only the acute and grave are accents. Other diacritics include the umlaut, the breve, the cedilla and the tilde. Those are the only ones that come to mind right offhand, but it's been a few months since I last read a book on language and my memory isn't what it once was ;)

Oh, and BTW to whom it might concern. A-Z, a-z, and 0-9 are *also* ASCII. In the past I had passwords with things like backspace in them. Now I simply mix alpha numerics in two or more languages to make easy to remember, hard to guess phrases.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hehe, I was only asking how you called letters with accents on them :lol:

It was so obvious, I don't know why I didn't think about it myself... accented letters ! I didn't know accent was used in English also. I didn't know the names for the types of accents though. Accent grave is the same in French, but acute must mean "aigüe".

I guess I should have used that big book with lots of words in it... oh yeah, a dictionnary !

Methraton