Another MPQ question
Hi,

I've extracted all files from the MPQ using MPQ Viewer 1.1 beta by Simply Red Software and I found everything I needed, except one thing.

Where are the inventory items pictures located? In the items folder I only found the pix that are displayed as drops, i.e. the rotating item pic that is thrown upwards and lands shortly thereafter (making things complicated is my hobby) and that blasted map of stars or whatever it's called. But no inventory pix.

Can someone tell me if I finally need to get glasses or if the inventory items pix are in fact located somewhere else? Or do I have to use a different MPQ Viewer?

Thanks.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Extracting all the data as we speak. Did you want them in their .cel / .cl2 format, or converted? ;)

Edit:
Hmmm... Same problem you ran into. .Cel / .Cl2 are all animations of the flippyfile. None of them are the actual graphics... Odd. I'll hunt around some more. :P

Edit 2:
Got it. :D ObjCurs.cel file.

http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/diablo.rar - Thank me later. ;) All the images, stored in .gif format. Enjoy!

Edit 3:
One more time! :D .Gif screwed up some of the images, SOOOO... You now get them in .gif, .tga, and .bmp. :D Same file. Enjoy!
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Better yet, hunt out a program called CelViewer which will be able to access MPQs, and extract frames from CEL/CL2/CL6 (For Diablo 2) files into either GIFs or animated GIFs. An excellent tool, one which I use for pretty much all my CEL file manipulation.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
NiteFox,Apr 25 2003, 01:51 PM Wrote:Better yet, hunt out a program called CelViewer which will be able to access MPQs, and extract frames from CEL/CL2/CL6 (For Diablo 2) files into either GIFs or animated GIFs.  An excellent tool, one which I use for pretty much all my CEL file manipulation.
;)

I figured since I was going through the trouble of hunting them up for the guy, the least I could do was extract & convert 'em. :)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Thanks, I was going to check out each individual cel myself, so you saved me a lot of work.

Thanks for the rar as well. At the risk of being called an ungrateful little bastard, all I can do is mention you in the program I'm making. :D BTW, since it's Diablo related (data & calculations (price, probabilities...)), am I allowed to advertise it on this forum?

I DID have to download and install a RAR unpacker and rename the files. <_<

BTW, my CEL viewer crashed when I tried to open the objcur.cel file. Which viewer do you use, because I had the same problem at some other files as well? Is it the one NiteFox suggested?
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
I was using a program called CEL/CL2/GRP - Viewer V3.2 by M. Konig (a.k.a. Telamon), but it crashed with some files, so now I downloaded CV5 (by the same author), which is a bit better. Is it the one you suggested? This one also displays the color transformation details, which is great because (and please correct me if I'm wrong) apparently I'll have to combine the TRNs for the base monster type with the TRNs for the bosses. Thrillsville.
-- Ford Prefect
Quote:Thanks, I was going to check out each individual cel myself, so you saved me a lot of work.

No prob. Like I said, I figured I'd do it while I was all set. ;) I had all the tools and everything, it was just a matter of a few more minutes. :)

Quote:Thanks for the rar as well. At the risk of being called an ungrateful little bastard, all I can do is mention you in the program I'm making. :D BTW, since it's Diablo related (data & calculations (price, probabilities...)), am I allowed to advertise it on this forum?

AFAIK, that should be fine.

Quote:I DID have to download and install a RAR unpacker and rename the files. <_<

WinRAR is the best. You'll thank me. ;) RAR is way better than ZIP. Just don't use WinACE. ;) It sucks.

Quote:BTW, my CEL viewer crashed when I tried to open the objcur.cel file. Which viewer do you use, because I had the same problem at some other files as well? Is it the one NiteFox suggested?

I use CellViewer 5, IIRC. It's VERY unstable, but if you can get it to do what you need it to before it crashes, it's the best program out there (and, really, the only one ;)). :) Just gotta be fast, and pray. ;)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Apr 25 2003, 08:25 PM Wrote:No prob. Like I said, I figured I'd do it while I was all set. ;) I had all the tools and everything, it was just a matter of a few more minutes. :)
I'll also have to get the unique monsters pix. From what I could deduce by loading TRNs, the unique TRNs have to be applied on top of the base monster TRN. Example for DeathShade FleshMaul would be:
dhsm (beige (def))
where dhsm = DeathShade's TRN (presumably), beige = Stone Clan TRN and def = default (no) TRN. Am I correct?

If that really is the case, is there any way to know (perhaps listed somewhere on the net) which TRNs are used by which bosses? I'll make the TRN combination program in 2 minutes, the file structure couldn't be more straigthforward, so the only time I'll need to sacrifice will be to find the correct TRN for each boss. I suspect the TRNs are named after the uniques' initials, hence my assumption that dhsm meant DeathShade FleshMaul, but the extracted TRNs in the monsters/monsters directory were fewer than the number of uniques. <_<
-- Ford Prefect
There is no list that I know of. Except for the one I just created by hand.

Code:
Gharbad the Weak - BSBD
Skeleton King - GENRL
Zhar the Mad - GENERAL
Snotspill - BNG
Arch-Bishop Lazarus - GENERAL
Red Vex - REDV
Black Jade - BLKJD
Lachdanan - BHKA
Warlord of Blood - GENERAL
The Butcher - GENRL
Bonehead Kneeaxe - BHKA
Bladeskin the Slasher - BSTS
Soulpus - GENERAL
Pukerat the Unclean - PTU
Boneripper - BR
Rotfeast the Hungry - ETH
Gutshank the Quick - GTQ
Brokenhead Bangshield - BHBS
Bongo - BNG
Rotcarnage - RCRN
Shadowbite - SHBT
Deadeye - DE
Madeye the Dead - MTD
El Chupacabras - GENERAL
Skullfire - SKFR
Warpskull - TSPO
Goretongue - PMR
Pulsecrawler - BHKA
Moonbender - GENERAL
Wrathraven - GENERAL
Spineeater - GENERAL
Blackash the Burning - BASHTB
Shadowcrow - GENERAL
Blightstone the Weak - BHKA
Bilefroth the Pit Master - BFTP
Bloodskin Darkbow - BSBD
Foulwing - DB
Shadowdrinker - SHDR
Hazeshifter - BHKA
Deathspit - BFDS
Bloodgutter - BGBL
Deathshade Fleshmaul - DSFM
Warmaggot the Mad - GENERAL
Glasskull the Jagged - BHKA
Blightfire - BLF
Nightwing the Cold - GENERAL
Gorestone - GENERAL
Bronzefist Firestone - GENERAL
Warthfire the Doomed - WFTD
Firewood the Grim - BHKA
Baron Sludge - BSM
Blighthorn Steelmace - BHSM
Chaoshowler - GENERAL
Doomgrin the Rotting - GENERAL
Madburner - GENERAL
Bonesaw the Litch - GENERAL
Breakspine - GENERAL
Devilskull Sharpbone - GENERAL
Brokenstorm - GENERAL
Stormbane - GENERAL
Oozedrool - GENERAL
Goldblight of the Flame - GENERAL
Blackstorm - GENERAL
Plaguewrath - GENERAL
The Flayer - GENERAL
Bluehorn - GENERAL
Warpfire Hellspawn - GENERAL
Fangspeir - GENERAL
Festerskull - GENERAL
Lionskull the Bent - GENERAL
Blacktongue - GENERAL
Viletouch - GENERAL
Viperflame - GENERAL
Fangskin - BHKA
Witchfire the Unholy - GENERAL
Blackskull - BHKA
Soulslash - GENERAL
Windspawn - GENERAL
Lord of the Pit - GENERAL
Rustweaver - GENERAL
Howlingire the Shade - GENERAL
Doomcloud - GENERAL
Bloodmoon Soulfire - GENERAL
WIthmoon - GENERAL
Gorefeast - GENERAL
Graywar the Slayer - GENERAL
Dreadjudge - GENERAL
Stareye the Witch - GENERAL
Steelskull the Hunter - GENERAL
Sir Gorash - GENERAL
The Vizier - GENERAL
Zamphir - GENERAL
Bloodlust - GENERAL
Webwidow - GENERAL
Fleshdancer - GENERAL
Grimspike - GENERAL
Doomlock - GENERAL

Excuse any typos. As I said, I wrote it by hand. :P 94 entries, IIRC.

BTW - Just what are you doing, exactly? Now you have me curious...
Roland *The Gunslinger*
If I recall correctly, the reason there isn't a TRN named after every boss is that many TRNs are used for multiple things. After all, there are only so many colors to choose from. To get the right TRN for every boss can be done by opening diablo.exe in a hex editor and seeing where the pointers point... not sure if anyone has ever made a comprehensive list along those lines. Any modmaking people who still have all of their notes could probably come up with that information fairly easily.
Roland,Apr 25 2003, 11:21 PM Wrote:Skeleton King - GENRL
Aha, so you're not much further than I am. I figured out a couple of them by loading up TRNs and comparing the result to the screenshots I made. Most of the ones whose initials match are easy (once I make the combined TRNs), as for the rest I guess it's trial and error. Leoric has the same TRN as the normal (white) skeletons. AFAIK the default is red (burning dead).

Roland,Apr 25 2003, 11:21 PM Wrote:BTW - Just what are you doing, exactly? Now you have me curious...
I sense a soul in search of answers... ;) You'll see when it's done, but to describe it a bit, I'm kinda converting the tables from JG into a program and once that's done I'm gonna add some tools (price & probability (among others) calculator, ironman report generator...) and I thought that pictures fit in well. The sheer magnitude of JG puts a lot of people off, so I figured if it was all in an interactive point & click GUI spiced up with pictures, then perhaps more people would know more about the game. *insert inspiring orchestral music of your liking* And once you get to know the game, you can't really cheat unless you're a true basket case, so even if I convert just one player, it's worth it and I'm gonna give it a shot.

OK, Oscar moment over, you may now shoot down my plans and send my zeal to kingdom come because I secretly know it's a lost cause. Cheaters cheat, and most don't give a damn about JG. Those that do, use the knowledge to their advantage and cheat more effectively (i.e. know better what to import from other people). But I don't care. I'm as stubborn as they come.

*EDIT*: Gotta explain something, this post sounded like I've been around game forever. I'm not much of a veteran myself, either. I've had Diablo since it came out, but the only multiplayer games I played were IPX games, mostly solo. Internet access over here was too expensive for me to play multiplayer games, so I came on Battle.net like a year ago, noticed that there were loads of cheaters around only after someone asked me if I was legit and I didn't know what it meant. :) So I found up moe's DiabloSaver, somehow came across JG, and from then on I've been hooked. So after a year or so, I'm here in the company of the most experienced players around (I have a lot more questions to ask, I'm afraid). :D Jarulf's to blame. :)
-- Ford Prefect
Quote:Aha, so you're not much further than I am. I figured out a couple of them by loading up TRNs and comparing the result to the screenshots I made. Most of the ones whose initials match are easy (once I make the combined TRNs), as for the rest I guess it's trial and error. Leoric has the same TRN as the normal (white) skeletons. AFAIK the default is red (burning dead).

I just made that list now. It's as complete as it's gonna get. ;) Note that it only applies to Diablo, though, and it may be outdated slightly (version 1.08, IIRC). But, I doubt 1.09 changed any visuals. If you need me to get any others (like for Hellfire), I can, but your best bet is to nab EZ ModMaker 2000, by Charlie. It's where I pulled all the TRN info and compiled that list (one by one, by hand :P).

As for your program, I have a question: Since you're obviously a programmer, and probably have at least SOME skill in regards to how Diablo works, would you be at all interested in making a WYSIWYG Mod Maker / Editor? I have a few lying around, but they're all outdated and / or prone to crashing. :( I could throw 'em up for download if you wanted to take a look. Up to you, of course, but it would certainly be nice to have a NEW editor. :P Charlie's is great, but it's missing alot, and it only supports 1.07 and 1.08, and Hellfire 1.01. :(

http://diablosc.com/hosted_files/Mod%20Making.exe - A hefty file (~7 MB, IIRC), but filled with all sorts of programs, documentation, etc. Useful for mod makers and yourself alike. ;) Might prove useful for your endeavors, and also for anyone who's feeling ambitious enough to make a new Editor. :)

Hope to hear back from you (although somehow I bet your answer will be "No" or "I don't know how, so no" ;)).
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I downloaded the executable, extracted it and rummaged thru the directories. I only tried the EZ Mod Maker today, though.

Well, I loaded it up, opened diablo.exe which it then saved as mod.exe, but the buttons did nothing. I could click them, but nothing came up. So I don't really know what you want me to make. Could you explain to me how to use his program? Loading up the newly created mod.exe and clicking on the buttons does nothing, and the only other menu command is help/about. :huh: I'll try out the other programs tomorrow when I will hopefully have more time.

As for my answer: first I'll have to know what it is you want me to make, before I say yes or no. But the fact remains that my program comes first, only then will I be able to put some time into something new. Maybe I could do them parallel if I was single and unemployed, of which I'm neither, and, frankly, Diablo just isn't worth enough to change any of those two. :) There, I deserve to be called a "BLASPHEMER!" like that old sod in Life of Brian.
-- Ford Prefect
Quote:Well, I loaded it up, opened diablo.exe which it then saved as mod.exe, but the buttons did nothing. I could click them, but nothing came up. So I don't really know what you want me to make. Could you explain to me how to use his program? Loading up the newly created mod.exe and clicking on the buttons does nothing, and the only other menu command is help/about.&nbsp; I'll try out the other programs tomorrow when I will hopefully have more time.

As I said (or thought I did), EZ ModMaker 2000 only works with Diablo 1.07, 1.08, and Hellfire 1.01. No other versions will work.

Quote:As for my answer: first I'll have to know what it is you want me to make, before I say yes or no. But the fact remains that my program comes first, only then will I be able to put some time into something new.

I wouldn't expect anything different. ;) I was hoping you could maybe make a mod editor, similar to EZ ModMaker. Hex editing is all well and good, but it can be quite tedious. It would be nice to have an editor (that supports more versions of Diablo / Hellfire) for those of us new to modding, and just to simplify making small, quick changes. :)

Anyway, like you said: your program comes first. I just threw all that junk together so that you'd have more "tools" at your disposal. And, since you're a programmer, I tossed out my question to you. I don't know if you'll be able to do anything or not, but I had to ask. :) Good luck with the proggie. I hope to see it! :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Hex editing is all well and good, but it can be quite tedious. It would be nice to have an editor (that supports more versions of Diablo / Hellfire) for those of us new to modding, and just to simplify making small, quick changes.

So, you're saying making small, quick changes is *tedious*? And you want to mod? :p

I've gotta disagree, though. For those new to modding, that "tedious" hex editing is valuable. You learn all sorts of things about the code. Not to mention it's wildly fun. Some days I think, "I don't want to play today. I'd rather hex edit." Do you want to deprive new modders of that? Would you do that to them?!

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
;)

P.S. - I just think it would be nice. :P If you disagree, so be it. :P
Roland *The Gunslinger*
There was a rather decent hellfire modding tool, I think it was simply called ModMaker by Zakarun. Just don't mess with the "add hacks" portion if you do code edits, and it handles the data very nicely.

I do think learning hex is valuable, but these programs make managing stat-type stuff much quicker than calculating the hex offset every time.
I do think learning hex is valuable, but these programs make managing stat-type stuff much quicker than calculating the hex offset every time.

Not once you make a list of the offsets. Or find somebody else's. :)

Stat-managers are handy for when it's old hat, yeah. But definitely not something I'd hand somebody who's green. The last thing we need is a barrage of poorly-conceived mods. :p

LemmingofGlory,Apr 27 2003, 03:19 AM Wrote:Stat-managers are handy for when it's old hat, yeah. But definitely not something I'd hand somebody who's green. The last thing we need is a barrage of poorly-conceived mods. :P

Since when does being new to Hex-editing and/or modding mean you create "poorly-conceived mods"? I wasn't very good at D2 editing, and I'm still not, but other than a few as-of-yet unexplained issues, I think I've done quite well for myself.

It's not the tools, nor the know-how of modding that makes good or bad mods. It's what you intend to do. That's it. Don't confuse being new with being stupid.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Since when does being new to Hex-editing and/or modding mean you create "poorly-conceived mods"?

Tool = More Modders
More Modders = More Mods
Quantity != Quality