Cow Level?
Does It Exist?
Or not...
Hi,

In D2. In D1 it's just a joke to fool noobs.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiityyy... :( :(
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
Don't let Pete fool you...

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the cow level is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance, Charred Scar. After this there is no turning back. You take the blue portal, the story ends, you wake up in Tristram and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red portal, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more. I can only show you the portal, you're the one who has to walk through it.

But seriously, you can have fun with people who ask about the cow level in games. Tell them you will show them how to get there. First, meet them in the town square. Follow the path that leads to where the town portals appear. Go beyond this point, beyond the path and travel north (straight). Your intuition should tell you you are west of the catacombs entrance. Contine a little ways, then announce: "Welcome to the cow level."
When they state, "where", simply ask "Do you see cows?"
"yeah."
"Well there you go."

Edit: Oh, better yet! Tell anyone asking about the cow level who came from D2 that they must click on the cows in town in a special order, much like the Cairn(?) Stones, to open a portal to the cow level. To learn the order, a special scroll called "the map of the stars" must be found and read. Once they give up eventually and decide you were lying, they will come across an imported map of the stars, and delve back into the quest immediately.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Yes: A few of us were there this past weekend. Though I urge them to say no more than that. ;)

No: You can't get there. But nobody else can either. ;)

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
I heard so many rumors between the time Diablo first came out until Diablo 2 came out, such as Kill every monster in the game and diablo with only a golem... cast town portal on diablo the second he dies while wearing "(hardest item to win the game with here)", etc...

But seriously, I also heard the rumor was started because in patch 1.1, there was a bug where you could cast town portal in town. I heard people would do this and take the TP and most of the time their game would crash, but sometimes they would enter catacombs and it would be like the secret water world in Super Mario Bros. for the NES where it would just keep going and going and going. I don't know if this is true, but it seems like a reasonable explanation for how the "secret cow level" rumor might have been started.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I heard so many rumors between the time Diablo first came out until Diablo 2 came out, such as Kill every monster in the game and diablo with only a golem... cast town portal on diablo the second he dies while wearing "(hardest item to win the game with here)", etc...

Those "methods" are hogwash.

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Anyway, why all the interest in the D1 Cow Level. The drops were crap and the experience gains were tiny...
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
The drops were crap? Maybe you overlooked the cow levers. They open a secret room with 2 large chests, an armor rack, and a weapons rack. Since the secret cow level is actually dlvl 30, you can imagine the quality of items possible here....

Hey, the original copy of the infamous duped GPOW had to come from someplace, right?

But for me personally, seeing Snotspill wearing a cowboy hat was all it took to make the whole long process worthwhile.
Yeah, I did notice those levers. All I got was three lousy Defenders, a Lightforge, and two Gonnigal's Dirks. I swear, I earned more getting there than I earned in the actual level.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
You must not have pulled the levers in the right order.
You know how in Hellfire Na-Krul is much weaker if you read his books in a certain order? Yeah like that, I think the north on is first, not sure on the rest. Much better stuff though.