Running D2X from computer not CD?
Hey all,

Not sure if this belongs here but couldn't find anywhere else for it...
I bought Diablo II and the Expansion a while ago and really enjoy them
but when I enter a new area I get all laggy whole my CD spins up, is there
a way (legitimate, i.e. Blizzard approved?) to run the game off my computer?

I've been reading posts here a while and this seems like a great forum. I hope
my question is appropriate... though I'm sure people will let me know if it is not.

Regards
-N
Hi,

After losing a couple of CDs to a bad player, I started running all my games from the hard drive. I use Game Drive from http://www.farstone.com/home/en/index.shtml It's a few bucks, but it has worked with all the games I have.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Daemon's Tools is another great utility that allows you to set up a "virtual CD drive" to run games off of your hard drive. I've used it extensively in the past, and it never gave me a lick of trouble. It saves wear and tear on those drives and CD-ROMs, as well.

I'm not sure if Blizzard condones the use of such a utility, but it certainly isn't bypassing any copy-protection schemes. AFAIK, Bolty doesn't consider it "shady" or cheating or anything, so it's a valid topic of conversation here.

-DeeBye
Just copy D2xmusic.mpq from the CD into the install directory you have D2X in. That'll solve the spin problem although you'll still be spinning the disk briefly just when you start the game.

Copy D2xvideo.mpq also if you want to prevent CD spin during expansion cutscenes.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
I often log on then eject the disc and play without music (or with alternate music.) you dobnt need the CD once you're logged in.
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
or shut off all the music first so that it doesn't look for that.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
See this thread on the Amazon Basin:
Basin Thread
Thanks Warblade, that helped me out... :) But D2xvideo.mpq is already on your hard drive if you chose full install... ^_^