Silly socketing question.
Okay, my friend asked me if you could socket a quest item. I told that I think no. I wasn't sure though, so I figure I should ask:

1. Can you socket a quest item(Kalim's will or the Horadric staff) with the socket quest in act5?

Hehe, I know you can imbue Wirt's leg, but that's a different matter.

Slightly related:

2. Can you personalise Wirt's leg or Kalim's Will/Horadric staff?

I assume no, and no, but it would be interesting.
Nope, but you can find a socketed wirts leg... :) Up to 3 sockets...
You cant even get the horadric staff to act5 to socket it unless it is one of those rare occasions where the game does not remove it from your inventory after act2.

-Swiftslayer2
Kinda like that time I had the Horadric Scroll in act 4... :)
@SwiftSlayer2:
If I remember correctly, you can hold onto the Horadric Staff by dying against Duriel (with the staff in your inventory or suchlike) and staying dead while another player kills him. You'll still get credit for the quest, and your Staff doesn't get deleted. Now, why you'd want to do this, I can't imagine, but it's a useful bit of D2 trivia.
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
wouldn't it be simpler to take the NM Staff back into a normal game ?
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining, or testing your
code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
@jhartlelt:
Heh, good point.
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
FenrisWulf,Apr 27 2003, 01:26 AM Wrote:@SwiftSlayer2:
If I remember correctly, you can hold onto the Horadric Staff by dying against Duriel (with the staff in your inventory or suchlike) and staying dead while another player kills him. You'll still get credit for the quest, and your Staff doesn't get deleted. Now, why you'd want to do this, I can't imagine, but it's a useful bit of D2 trivia.
I always thought that the staff (and it's pieces) disappear once someone activates the orifice. So I suppose you would have to exit out, have someone activate it, and then come back for this to work. If I get a chance, I'll test this out to see for sure.

But I agree, why would you want to do this? Ready-made spellcaster staff, I suppose. But still, if you are that hard up for gear... ;)

Edit: jhartelt had a better idea :lol:
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Striker,Apr 27 2003, 02:15 PM Wrote:I always thought that the staff (and it's pieces) disappear once someone activates the orifice.
Just tested this earlier on the Realms. I left the pieces in town and another person opeded the tomb using a completed staff. We killed Duriel and when we came back, my pieces were still on the ground. So I suppose if you wanted to keep the staff, you can just leave it on the ground and come back and get it later after you defeated Duriel.
-Dr. Nick Riviera

But then you can't pick up the staff. I managed to keep my staff by putting it on the weapon switch. :P
Obi1.10Kenobi,Apr 27 2003, 08:59 PM Wrote:But then you can't pick up the staff. I managed to keep my staff by putting it on the weapon switch. :P
I never bothered to pick it back up since I didn't need it anymore. That, and I already had better gear. :D

But that brings up an interesting question. When stuff is on the switch, how is it handled by the game? Is it still "real" and counted towards your inventory, or is it in Diablo limbo? I don't know how this impacts actual game play, but it's just nice to know useless D2 trivia. :lol:
-Dr. Nick Riviera

FenrisWulf,Apr 27 2003, 06:26 AM Wrote:@SwiftSlayer2:
Quote:@SwiftSlayer2: If I remember correctly, you can hold onto the Horadric Staff by dying against Duriel (with the staff in your inventory or suchlike) and staying dead while another player kills him. You'll still get credit for the quest, and your Staff doesn't get deleted. Now, why you'd want to do this, I can't imagine, but it's a useful bit of D2 trivia.

If you were to die against duriel, that would mean that someone in your party has already used the staff, and therefore, without the presence of a flaw in the game, you should not still have a staff to die with...

- Swiftslayer2

Edit: oops! my first time quoting :P ill know for next time...
@Swiftslayer2:
It would be very simple, however, to have one person create the game, use his staff to create Duriel's tomb...and then you join the game with your staff. The chamber would already be open, so I believe you could both enter it to defeat Duriel, even while carrying your own staff; after that, dying should take care of the rest.

As I have never done this personally, I cannot be positive of the specifics, but I can't see any glaring flaws in this methodology.
You cant bring the horadric staff to act 3 as the transition will remove it from your inventory, it is however fully possible to kill Duriel and still keep the staff. In other words you will lose the staff in the following 2 senarios:

1 : You or someone else in your party open the orifice.
2 : You go to act 3 in the samme difficulty as the staff was made in. (ie u dont use the waypoint)

I think you can go to act 5 normal with the staff from act 2 nightmare. If you drop it on the ground in normal you will not be able to pick it upp again however.

I belive you can get kalims will beoynd act 3. (just make sure to not break the orb)
Quote:You cant bring the horadric staff to act 3 as the transition will remove it from your inventory, it is however fully possible to kill Duriel and still keep the staff. In other words you will lose the staff in the following 2 senarios:

Heh, too bad Poison_Creeper died vs Baal he could have shown you his Horadric Staff that he was using up to fighting diablo in normal. He managed to maintain it through the transition to act3.

He was using it as his main weapon no less. What happened, is that I joined a pubbie game called "act2 end" and someone had used an opener(a character that already has opened the tomb, but not killed duriel) to make the game. Since the tomb was open, the orifice was never activated in my presence, and the staff was never removed.

The transfer from act2 to act3 does not remove the Horadric Staff from your inventory. If it did, I would have surely lost my staff.
Quote:2 : You go to act 3 in the samme difficulty as the staff was made in. (ie u dont use the waypoint)
Also, I really doubt that the game keeps track of which difficulty you collect a staff in. Note that you CAN use a staff found in hell/NM for a normal diff orifice.

I think that the only thing that removes the horadric staff is when a party member activates the orifice in act2 while you are in act2 as well.

(waiting to be proven wrong)

EDIT: Hmm, I do think that I may have lost the staff before when not partied with the person who opened the orifice, but only when I was in the orifice room with them.
Might be that i remeber this wrong or it was like this in a previous patch. But im pretty sure i did go to act 3 with the staff in the inventory, only to loose it while the movie played. Anyhow, testing required and i realy dont care enough about the result to try B)
I know for a fact, that if multiple persons have the staff, and one uses it, all dissapper.....unless someone holds it out in the air like they are going to drop it while someone else puts theirs into the orifice.....then you can put yours back into your inv...Im not sure how to do it with Kalims will, but I do know that in Low level duels, Kalims flail is a decent weapon....

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East