Lord of Destruction-Imbune
[FONT=Times] :huh: Hi Fellow Gamers. I have a question concerning a function in Lord of Destruction. I have retrieved the mallet for the blacksmith. I have given it to her and she offered to Imbune an article of my selection. I have tried my axe, my shield, my helm, my armor, to no avail. My axe, my shield, and my armor are all socketed items that have all the sockets filled with gems. Can someone please tell me how to get this function to operate? I've perused the FAQ's and the Read Me files and have located no instructions on how to actually make this work. Is my equipment not valid for it to be Imbuned? Is my software goofing up? Do I need a patch? Assistance is appreciated. You can e-mail me at:

Jim-N-Melissa@worldnet.att.net. Please be honorable and do not send me any BS material. Thanks for your help.

Jim
You can only imbue "white" items afaik.

That means non-magical, non-socketed base items.

edit
...and I think you should have posted this in another forum ;)
You cannot imbue rare, magic, unique, set, or items with runes/gems/jewels in them (I am not sure about empty sockets...).

"The stats of the base item do not matter as it is only used to determine what type of rare item will result from using Imbue. Also, the quality of the item used (Superior, Normal, Damaged, etc.) does not affect the new item. So don't waste your time looking for a Superior Item or for specific Defense because it doesn't matter. Any properties of the old item are lost when the new rare item is created."

So in other words, those sockets with gems in them will not be added to the new item, anyway, even if it did let you imbue it.
Hi,

Doesn't matter if they're empty sockets or not. Just "vanilla" items, any quality. Makes it a real PITA since the merchants in the advanced acts don't seem to sell any plain items and finding the right base from a drop item can be a problem.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hail Jim,

I'll also throw in that it's generally good advice to wait until (a) you're a higher level, and (B) you have access to better base items, before you imbue. Sure, you'll still likely end up with a pretty ordinary item (yay - +1 to life, +1 to mana, +10% DR Sacred Armour! :lol: ), but at least you have a chance for something great :)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Waiting is generally the best thing to do, but imbue when necessary. Rarely, you'll wind up with something very useful :)

Another place to look for good items in the early going is gambling. You can gamble some pretty nice rares via gambling.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I tend to imbue as quickly as possible. Except maybe the hell one. It seems the rare pool becomes very dilluted later on. If you want to wait for the best, imbue circlets and class specific items. Or maybe boots and gloves as many rare ones are very good. However, I feel you can gamble them easily. Never imbue weapons (except wands and staves) , as it is simply too hard to get the right mods.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Hail Artega,

I got a +100%ED, 40%IAS, +cold damage, +AR, +something, +something Pike in 1.04. I've muled it, simply because it's so darn good.

I also have a -40% requirements, +30odd life, +30odd mana, +80%(?) DR, +something, +something Ornate Plate I imbued in 1.05; my Fire Arrow Amazon still wears it - until I find Godly Sacred Armour of the Whale that is :D
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
There's not a chance in hell that you can get one of those imbues now, though.
This site allows you to analyze what affixes become available as you progress in level:
http://www.diabloii.nu/affixcalc/

Use the rare column. Affix level is your character level +4 (I think)
Edit: I was wrong it's character level +6

Popular choices include:

Diadems/Tiaras/Circlets/Coronets (which get a bonus)

Ethereal weapons (hoping for auto-repair and decent damage, or failing that something for the merc)

The first four row belt you see (a good choice for item poor players), use a demonhide sash if your strength is low