Question
Hi,

After hiring a merc my amazon started dying a lot more than usual,
and I finally found out why.
When I hold down shift (something I always do when attacking) and
drink a pot my merc gets it, and thus I don't get health/mana :angry:

I tried snooping around in the menus but I didn't find a way to
change/disable this function.. is it possible?
I don't think there is a way to disable it, except maybe disabling the shift key entirely, which I don't think you want to do.
Well instead of disabling the shift key you could probably reassign the "stand still" function or whatever it is called to a different key. It would take a lil getting used to the new key layout, but once you do it should be fine. I couldn't swear that that function is one you can reassign, but it could be worth looking into.
Hi,

While the 'stand still" function does appear on the list of keys you can customize, in practice it does not work. Just another of Buzzard's little screw ups. All the other keys function when they are depressed, when they are released has no real effect. The "stand still" key instead has to start operating when it is depressed and not quit until it is released. Apparently, Buzzard hard wired the search for key press, key release only for the shift key. So, remapping it causes you to stand still for one attack (the first one right after pressing the stand still key) and then it is like you've released the key.

There is a work around requiring you to remap your keyboard under the OS. I don't remember the details, but it did work. The problem is that you have to map the keys right before playing and then remap them to the original layout after (or you end up with things like your space bar being the shift key, etc.) Just too much trouble.

Making the space bar the "stand still" key just would be so nice -- hold it down with your thumb and your fingers are free to roam the keyboard.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

swirly,Apr 27 2003, 10:58 PM Wrote:Well instead of disabling the shift key you could probably reassign the "stand still" function or whatever it is called to a different key.
Doesn't this fall into the "hacking" category?

-Swiftslayer2
Reassigning functions to different keys is in the options menu in the game itself. Not sure how that could even remotely be considered hacking. : )
train yourself to take your finger off shift and the left mouse button at once, bash a pot button and put them both back on - you should lose at most only 1 shot this way, and as you say, you have a mercenary. They should therefore be able to cover you from getting swamped whilst you're doing this. It's a bit messy, and less than efficient, but it stops you dying. This is assuming that you're playing a bowazon - I have little (well, no) experience with javazons, and i should think that it mightn't work, as you'd probably end up in recovery/stun lock (what is it called in D2, since stun is now a seperate thing?). But it you are fighting melee, I don't see why you'd need shift down anyway.

-Bob
Thanks for the input, guys.
Reassigning buttons is out of the question for me, that would make
D2 the only game where I don't use WASD + Shift/Spacebar and my
brain can't handle that :unsure:
(besides, it sounded like lots of work)

I guess I'll just curse Blizzard for not including a way to disable it
and keep playing without a merc. It's not like I need him anyway,
seeing as I have decoy/valk.
Hi,

Just curious, what do you use WASD for in D2? It's been a loooong time since I used the default key assignments, but IIRC, WASD sure doesn't do in D2 what it does in FPS.

Oh, and reassigning the keys takes about one minute one time. Just hit escape in game, then go to the options menu, controls, and assign them. After that, new characters inherit the key assignment.

But, your choice, candle or curse.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I have hotkeys for skills binded to WASD and a couple of surrounding
keys in D2.