Gah!
I swear, I am at wit's end. If I see one more beggar (level 10's in nightmare) spamming screen full of "I need free plz" or "I need rush" I will not be responisble for what happens next!

But seriously, why do people do that anyways? Nobody ever responds to them and most of them squelch anyways. Annyoingly, we were doing a series of experience runs and the same annoying freeloader follows us from game to game. -_-

Seriously, this drives me to press the hostile button, but thank god for the squelch button. But , I will be evil if my mood drives me to.

Is there something morally wrong about having leechers follow you and then simply run pass the monsters letting said monsters make sushi out of them?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:Originally posted by Archon_Wing
Is there something morally wrong about having leechers follow you and then simply run pass the monsters letting said monsters make sushi out of them?
I would say no. :D
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
Archon_Wing,Apr 27 2003, 11:41 PM Wrote:I swear, I am at wit's end. If I see one more beggar (level 10's in nightmare) spamming screen full of "I need free plz" or "I need rush" I will not be responisble for what happens next!

But seriously, why do people do that anyways?  Nobody ever responds to them and most of them squelch anyways.
Simple. They spam up the wazoo, which takes next to no effort (as well as brain power apparently). They get just one person to bite, then bam, it was worth their time. Laziness is an amazing thing, isn't it? :lol:
Quote:Is there something morally wrong about having leechers follow you and then simply run pass the monsters letting said monsters make sushi out of them?
Nope. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. In fact, I may or may not have done it myself :blink:
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Archon_Wing,Apr 28 2003, 04:41 PM Wrote:Is there something morally wrong about having leechers  follow you and then simply run pass the monsters letting said monsters make sushi out of them?
This (sort of) happened to me a few days back.

Occi was playing an elemental-with-pets style Druid (Death-FromAbove) and I had a javelin-waving Amazon. Nightmare Monastery on the way to Andy.

Death-FromAbove pops down the stairs onto a new level, finds himself in a box with a door to the east and immediately barges through. Around about that point I enter the level and move to follow. I hit the doorway at roughly the same time as Occi's Death-FromAbove exited the next box room, this time with doors to the north and south (he went north). So my Amazon finds herself in a little square room with a Druid heading off out of it and a surprising number of shapes edging in for a better look from various room extremities and the south door.

A few spiders and lightning apes, were no problem and the wolves were moving to intercept . . . easy fight.

Except the wolves started evaporating. :unsure:

Um.

*Hits TAB - watches green blip screaming off north at warp nine* :blink:

So there I was, stuck in the middle of a box with what actually proved to be a trio or quartet of spider champs, a similar sized pack of lightning spitter champs and some other spiders . . . that I had happened to notice sported the word "minion".

Woo-hoo! cough <_<

Well there was nothing for it but to start drinking and do as I seldom ever do, hit Keypad 0 a couple of times to alert the errant team mate.

*Hits TAB - watches green blip screaming off north at warp nine* :blink:

Errrrrr . . . Occi?

Keypad 0, Keypad 0, Keypad 0, Keypad 0, Keypad 0, Keypad 0!!!

*Watches green blip screaming off north at warp nine*

Death-FromAbove: "stairs"

Oh good. Exactly what I need right now. Keypad 0, 1, 1, Keypad 0, 2, Keypad 0, 2 *Glug glug glug "HELP! HELP ME!"*

I was having one hell of a fight. The boss proved to be a fairly weak, but highly resilient Stone Skin thankfully and my icon on Occi's screen would have been diving into the yellow pretty often (I hate it when party members miss that one sometimes). And still I see this little green blip on the radar just sitting there letting me know there was a helpful staircase somewhere on the far side of Hell's army. <_< After I finally finished everything off and reviewed my potion supply down to about 2 pots, I had a quick think and said,

StickDeath: "You keep your sound turned off don't you?"
Death-FromAbove: "Yes why?"

:blink:

After I explained and watched the green blip return to my location to review the mess he goes,

Death-FromAbove: "Looks like you had fun"

:unsure: Fun.

Oh yeah, that's what it was. 'Fun'. :unsure:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Bah, it's kind of sad that being annoying seems to have no IQ or level requirement. Sheesh. :)

Beggar's Small charm of leeching
Level Req: None
Iq req: None
Comes with default on beggars

+5 Spamming skills
5% chance of spamming screen upon entering game
0% Damage
-100% attack speed
25% chance of stealing drops
10% chance of being partied
5% chance of getting free ITAm
50% chance of being hostiled
500% increased chance of being squelched
5% of reaching the cow level
-100% usefullness
Decrease maximum IQ 50%
Decrease Maximum Maturity level 99%
100% chance of hacking
99% chance of spamming "get my body plz" when killed only to be ignored
5% chance of speaking coherent english upon striking
80% chance of becoming a bum in real life
1% chance of gaining half a level (clvl/mlvl too low)
Wasted Time
Loses motor function
50% better chance of becoming professional hobo
100% better chance of having better keyboard

+3 to annoy (idiot only)
+3 to Idiocy (idiot only)
+3 Uselessness (idiot only)
+5 l33t speak (idiot only)
+2 laziness
Only YOU can prevent Spamming Fires! :lol:

It is kind of pathetic how people can beg for stuff though. I mean, all that time they spend begging could have been them playing the game and getting some good stuff! I guess some people will never learn....

Nevertheless, it isn't a horrible thing to ask one of the people you know on Battle.Net for stuff, especially if you're going to pay him back.

Yeah, that's it....
Black Lightning:
- Hell's thunder
- It'll strike anywhere
- It'll come down any time
- It'll hit ANYTHING...
(Run for the hills!Wink
I knew that I would eventually read about that faux pas one of these days:

Hey, if the missus says 'Turn that damned thing down or turn it off' I tend to comply.

PS: son broke (don't ask me how) the headphones the other day. Have not been 'round to get a new set lately. Not high enough up on the list of 'must have items' as daughter has been shopping for a new dress for the school dance . . . :P Priorities, eh? :)

I think either my wolves or my raven must have woken those fellows up, as I never saw a single bad guy. Came down stairs, had to choose: Left or Right? Went Left (Druid's left, Right on screen) in search of, as you so clearly recall, the Stairs.

Gee, I found them faster than a lamer with map hack (dumb luck roolz!), and this is the thanks I get? :D You got to have all of the fun with the monsters!!
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I'd put a little "o/t" tag in the title, but as this is the Tavern...

Even without maphack, there is no reason to rely on "dumb luck" for a speedy run through whatever area you're in. LoD threw a wrench in my Catacombs knowledge, but one place that still holds true is the Durance in act 3.

You know, that oft-run path to Mephisto... Simply take the waypoint, and look to your character's left. See that wall? Follow it. 99 times out of 100, it will lead directly to the stairs down.

And since I'm talking about act 3, the simplest (not quickest) way to find everything is to treat the entire area as one large labyrinth, and follow one wall all the way around. (Me? I prefer the left again ;-)).

I'm also working on a trick to the Worldstone Keep, but I haven't gone through it enough to be sure... Usually I have to follow the right wall, though.
Call HCGoodbye(gl,hf,dd)
*dahak_i
USEast HC
That is what I do. I come down stairs in the cats, pick a direction, and hang to that side of the wall until I get round the circle. The dumb luck has to do with picking left or right first, in terms of time spent.

Second: Durance clockwise methodology works in all but one or two cases.

Three: In cats, if I go left first, and find the stairs quickly, I typically go right on the next level, and left on 3. I cannot prove it, but it seems that alternating scheme works more often than not, howerver, plenty of times it has not made anydifference in time of discovery.
In Memory of Pete
I too use headphones all the time - and not usually on my ears. Sometimes I just hook them to the back of the chair; more often I wear them like a necklace.

Death screams of monsters are just not conducive to sleep for young'uns of a certain age. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I am on at least the third (maybe the fourth) set since I started playing this game. They just can't stand up to the attentions of the kids. Damned if I know how they get broken.......
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Getting to the end of a level in 2 seconds is overrated, well except for some parts of act 3. Occasionaly the most irrelevant monsters have the best drops. And chests too. Something maphackers will never have, among other things. :ph34r:
I also almost always play with headphones. I have two computers for diablo: one plays through speakers, one through the headphones. I have no trouble sorting out the sounds. I have only one keyboard and trackball however, and switch them between systems as necessary.

I'm well past the age where I have to worry about keeping my little boys awake -- however I'm sure my granddaughter gets her share of death screams...from monsters as well as from her father.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
...are merely the most pathetic variety in a whole spectrum of lamers. They're the ones who would cheat if they only had the time and energy to download a cheat program. =P They're the type of idiot who thinks the early part of the game is no fun. Maybe they think Blizzard sends cash prizes to everyone who gets to level 99. =P To give an example of idiocy, in my old days at the Sorceror's Tower, I once saw a level 8 begging for books of Firebolt! As if he couldn't go down and get 5 or 6 of them from bookshelves in the Cathedral! Talk about laziness...

To me, it's the early levels in almost ANY CRPG / Action/Adventure game that are the most fun. The sense of starting out on a long adventure, of having a lot of experiences ahead of me, is a real thrill. This is why I had very few D1 characters over 30, but lots under 20; I would bore with Hell runs and long to start a new character and whack rats with a shortsword again. ^_^ Besides, in D1 and D2 both, I think the endings of the games were a bit rushed, and the plot in the late stages was not as well "finished" as the plot in the earlier parts (this is especially true in D2, where the Pandemonium Fortress has the feel of being an afterthought).

The best way to deal with beggars is to squelch or ignore them, and avoid them as much as possible. NEVER, EVER give them ANYthing (not even a TP if you can help it); it only encourages them. With any luck, if they're ignored long enough, they'll throw the game away or grow up.

-Kasreyn
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Quote:NEVER, EVER give them ANYthing (not even a TP if you can help it); it only encourages them. With any luck, if they're ignored long enough, they'll throw the game away or grow up.

I have no hope that any of them will grow up any faster than any other child, however, that is not my concern, it is theirs. I do find that if I either squelch them, ignore them completely, or make some jaded remark like

"Begging is undignified"

or

"No, sorry, I just got PK'd" (Even if I am lying through my teeth with a 72 level assassin)

They leave the game. And THAT is my aim when I encounter beggars. Their departure. :)
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

I have no hope that any of them will grow up any faster than any other child

If, indeed, they are a "child" they shouldn't be playing an M rated game. So, since they are in a domain rated for adults, let them act like adults or suffer the consequences.

Of course, if they are children only in behavior and not in age, then they deserve any and all pain and scorn they get.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

As to the M rated game, agreed. You and Tina (the beloved Mrs. Occhi) are apparently doing a mind meld. :)

As to the 'acting like kids' for the allegedly mature, yes, they are begging to be flamed. But that takes effort.

In the pubbies I have played in, it takes a certain catalyst to get me started on typing a zinger rather than killing a Moon Lord or dodging yet another set of LEB eruptions. Something about the Hostile button that makes such a diversion easy. With a beggar, I find it easier to use squelch, and to once again thank Blizzard for remembering to make that feature work very effectively. :)

Between Squelch and Town Portal, two features work absolutely perfectly in Diablo II.

It's a start . . . :)

EDIT: Oh crap, Town Portal is not really perfect. I usually gets you to town, but the common problem of Portal stacking, where there is one blue portal when multiple folks have on up, and your own is not 'selectable' refutes my 'works perfectly.' So, we are down to one perfect feature: Squelch.

It's a modest start.
In Memory of Pete
...what does TP have to do with beggars? Actually, it can let them get to whatever area you're in so they can use TK to steal your drops. =P

-Kasreyn
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Bestest gorilla warfare tactic ever.

Lamer: need free gear plz!!!!!111
Pirengle: Take that TP. There's some good stuff down there.
Lamer: tks
(Lamer goes down TP)
(Lamer goes splat)
Lamer: LIAR
Pirengle: Oops...did I forget to mention you had to kill Diablo first?

ehehehehe

Why, oh why, oh why doesn't Blizzard combine the death of Diablo/Baal and a level requirement to enter nightmare and hell difficulty??? If they put that into the next patch...
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Quote:Why, oh why, oh why doesn't Blizzard combine the death of Diablo/Baal and a level requirement to enter nightmare and hell difficulty??? If they put that into the next patch...

I never liked that idea. What level req do you think would be good? I've had some very low level characters beat baal before. I would be upset not to be able to get in to NM even though I can kill normal baal. Lots of time I go as quickly as possible to NM act2 so I can hire one of the mercs there. I do go back afterwards and level in act5 normal, but I still think I should not get a penalty for beating him at a low level. It's already bad enough that sometimes he drops items that are far above my level.
USWest Hardcore Realms
Accounts: mikedok5, mikedok6
Count Duckula,May 1 2003, 10:40 PM Wrote:Why, oh why, oh why doesn't Blizzard combine the death of Diablo/Baal and a level requirement to enter nightmare and hell difficulty??? If they put that into the next patch...
Just pushed one of my buttons.

I've seen stuff like that in patch wishlists on certain other sites. And it always annoys me.

My reaction is "So you would punish skillful legit players in order to delay entry of grief players into your games?"

If someone is skillful enough to play a Spedara you'd say "Sorry Dude, time to regress to the mean"?

KoP made a timely statement on RBD today:

Quote:I only wish people have the chance to see how a non-distribute elemental druid, a naked sorc and a naked zon clear hell with fluidity while way under the mlvl vs clvl curve. It may impress opon them how important and fun it is to THINK TEAM. This team of characters wasn't even made with supplementary abilities in mind, we just happened to team up.

While the thrust of his post was about teamwork, I still say that going to a higher difficulty level is as valid a method for making the game more difficult - funny how that works, eh ;) - as making a semi-crippled variant.

Then again, I also think that crippling gambling was stupid, and the idea of completely randomizing the game as well. That's because I have this irrational belief that someone with brains ought to be able to get what they want. (But the lottery is popular where I live, so what do I know?)

-- CH
(this space reserved for a witty quote to the effect that the honest don't need laws and the dishonest ignore them)