Diablo in a Window
Has anyone worked on a mod to run Diablo in a window? Same thing would be great with Starcraft, heh
If you are a Mac user ( which I am 95% sure you are not ), there exists an alternative which consists of pressing both the command key and "M".

That way, the main Diablo screen appears resized and you may take care of other quick subjects while it is open. However, there are quite a few problems that I've experienced running that way:

I. When the D1 screen isn't active, the background colors are usually psychodelic with chaotically colorful streams ( doesn't affect gameplay since when you are gaming, the window is active ).

II. While doing your "other business", players in your same game may experience lag.

III. When you take too much time without having activated the window ( simply by clicking on it ), for some particular reason your character will be travelling in town very fast, similar to the Hellfire "jogging" feature.

AFAIK, in PCs, with the Alt+Tab command, Diablo will be shown resized in the task bar.
Except in pure mathematics, nothing is known for certain (although much is certainly false).

Carl Sagan, "The Demon Haunted World"
he could try alt+enter as well, but I have no idea if it works for Diablo.
Works good for almost all the games I've tried it with under XP.
It nae works, at least not in Win2k. I THINK the issue is with the way DirectX is "summoned". :) If they set the cooperative level to DDSCL_FULLSCREEN (implies DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE), then the exclusive mode owner (game) is responsible for all graphic operations. The usual GDI doesn't work (dialog boxes, combo boxes, listviews...). If newer platforms or DX versions have some kind of wrappers or hooks for being able to do it, I don't know.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
SteinHerz,Apr 28 2003, 08:22 PM Wrote:AFAIK, in PCs, with the Alt+Tab command, Diablo will be shown resized in the task bar.
It will appear minimized, and the only option is to restore it back to fullscreen.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
It can be done though, for instance take EverQuest with EQWindows(it was around even before they built it in) and DXWindows(precusor). These both somehow edited the exec memory and made it run in a window instead of fullscreen. IIRC DXWindows set up a hook on the DX calls and just forwarded them, editing the call to start. The problem is I have no real experience with DX at all, so my disasmebling of both programs was to no avail. EQW can be obtained from www.eqwindows.com and DXwindows is a bit tricky.. its on the HackersQuest site but there are no real likes to it. You have to go to the old forums and search for it... then mess with the url because they changed the dir structure.