Sorc masteries and fire damage.
Running through the archives, I came across an intresting tidbit that said that the sorceress fire mastery would increase fire damage regardless of the source. (eg. fire damage on a weapon) I'd just like to have some confirmation here.

I'd also like to ask a question about the Explosive arrow properties found on bows like the Kuko Shakaku. How much damage does it add anyways?

Thanks for the time.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Archon_Wing,Apr 28 2003, 06:10 PM Wrote:Running through the archives, I came across an intresting tidbit that said that the sorceress fire mastery would increase fire damage regardless of the source. (eg. fire damage on a weapon) I'd just like to have some confirmation here.

I'd also like to ask a question about the Explosive arrow properties found on bows like the Kuko Shakaku. How much damage does it add anyways?

Thanks for the time.
Don't know about the conformation, but I would assume it does. I think Shadow has played (is playing?) a melee sorc that used an elemental bow. She (or someone else, obviously) would know for sure.

As for the damage, I believe it's similar to the Amazon's Exploding Arrow skill, but it's at slvl 1. So checking the Arreat Summit, it looks like it adds 2-4 fire damage. Not great, but the Kuko already adds 40-180, so that's just icing. ;)
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Ack! So the splash damage is 2-4? But it's so awsome when it pierces. :)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I can confirm that fire masteries affect all sources of fire damage, including charms or the likes of Naj's Circlet. Lightning mastery does the same for items that have lightning damage.

I made a melee sorceress that used this 'feature'. She didn't use a bow, but did wear Naj's Circlet for a time. She also tried out Tal's amulet, and Hwanin's Set for a while too, before the lack of blocking against the NM Ancients defeated that notion.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Now, firstly I might well be wrong here but this is my understanding:

Pack of monsters

A A A
A B A
A A A

Sorc shoots monster B

Now let's say for the sake of argument they are all within the splash area

The sorc's damage as listed on her items is
100 physical
100 lightning
100 fire
25% crushing blow

She has sufficient mastery to add 200% fire and lightning damage

Monster B takes
100 physical adjusted by the usual multipliers - Dex, Might etc
100 lightning * (100+200 mastery bonus)% = 300 lightning
100 + 2-4 for lvl 1 exploding arrow fire * (100+200 mastery bonus)% = 306-312 fire
25% chance of crushing blow

Monsters A take
100 + 2-4 for lvl 1 exploding arrow fire * (100+200 mastery bonus)% = 306-312 fire
25% chance of crushing blow

Now every time the shot pierces a new monster becomes Monster B, any around him close enough to be caught in the splash take the Monster A damage (again)

As I say I'm not entirely sure that's right
Brista, your example is correct except for the details on Crushing Blow. CB can be triggered on each hit, and the game treats Ex Arrows as two separate hits: one for the fire splash, and a second hit for the arrow itself. As a result, monster B takes two hits, each of which has 25% chance of Crushing Blow.

Note however, that CB damage on ranged weapons is half that of melee weapons. Spirea has a good summary of CB damage here:

Crushing Blow Damage Calculator
Thank you Roguemage

Now I wonder if someone could explain the Bone Prison effect please which has always rather confused me
Bone Prison? Your diagram says it all. ;) If the Boss you want to crush has no flock surrounding him, just cast Prison on him. The bone segments that comprise the Prison then correspond to the "A's" in your diagram. When you target the big "B" with your Ex Arrow, it pierces through two of the A's as well. The Boss takes one hit from the arrow and three hits from the overlapping fire splashes, and with each comes a chance to trigger Crushing Blow. B)