multiple items dropping in games
I was under the impression that in each game, every unique/set piece could only drop once i.e. isenheart's case drops; therefore any breastplate dropping afterwards in that game could not be unique.

However, I just recently had vidala's fetlocks drop twice in a single game -- more than that, it was simultaenously! Meph dropped not one but two pairs of the set boots.

Am I incorrect in my assumption, or was this a bug in the game?

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
The items you describe are Set items (they appear in green text in the game). It is true that only one unique of a particular item could drop in a given game, but this is only true with uniques. Sets aren't that exclusive.
Call HCGoodbye(gl,hf,dd)
*dahak_i
USEast HC
I believe it's also possible to get a Unique and then get the same Unique, but one or the other has to be ethereal.
Hmm.. never heard that thought... :)
As said not too long ago, videlas is set. Of course, they should degrade Isenharts to normal, just because of how often it drops... (Isenhart just has too many breastplates!!)
I've had a Felloak (unique club) drop in 1 game, then the next day, while the character was equipped with the Felloak, another dropped! :D

For a low level Barb, dual weilding 2 Felloaks was pretty cool. B)
- Ace 777
Check Out: NJ DeMolay

[Image: knight_left.gif]
It doesn't matter if you have it equipped... but lucky you (kinda...)
I think the keeping track of already-dropped uniques went away somewhere around patch 1.08/LOD release....
--Mav
Mavfin:

Not exactly. What you might be thinking of is drop order, which has indeed been removed. For instance, this was where a nagel ring woud always drop first, then the manald ring, and finally a stone of jordan (assuming none exist in the current game yet). This has been removed, and now any unique ring can drop as long as it meets the mlvl requirement.

What dahak_i stated is correct, once a given unique item has dropped, it cannot drop in the same game again. I have verified this before while experimenting with modding (can't verify ethereal drop too, I have no idea).
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Hail Langolier,

Are you positive? I was sure it was that a Unique can drop twice.

I made a mod to test this out: I basically upped the chance of a Unique drop - woot ;) Sure enough, I was getting multiple drops of each Unique - nothing else changed (well, I also reduced the NoDrop chance, because I was too lazy to test this for long :P ).
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I used to have a screenie that showed that meph had dropped me two Isenhart's BP...they may have changed how sets drop, and it was .09, but a long time ago....

J
*NERDmanWhippy on Us East
That is very odd. I currently have a little modification where quill rats drop 3 elite uniques a piece... (boy this game is easy!). After a unique drops, the next drop of the same base item is always rare, so pretty quickly all the quill rats are dropping elite rares. Perhaps there some different way we are each forcing unique drops, but I am only aware of one way. Also, what version are we talking about?

On a side note, I think the title 'rare' and 'unique' should be interchanged. Rare means that something is not common, i.e. it takes a long time to find it. Unique means that something is one of a kind; nothing quite like it exists. With the number of different affixes and possible names that a 'rare' can spawn with on different base items, chances are virtually none that the same exact item will be found ever again. That fits the definition of unique very well. On the other hand, 'unique' items are very specfic. With only occasional and small differences in defense rating and few affix values from item to item, one unique is always the same as another. 'Unique' items are actually not unique, but only rare - they take time to find, but it is possible to come across the same item again.

When I first played D2, I intuitively confused the two. I wasted more than one imbue hoping for that "Torch of Iro" for my necromancer.

Edit: ...Corpsemourn as well, just to see a Darth Vader barb. Turns out that very few parts of the barb's armor actually turn black, providing for a more than disappointing sith lord.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Hail Nerdmanwhippy,

I've lost track of how many times I've said this in the past week: you could ALWAYS get the same set item twice in a game. There's a SSTSI or two of the same Set item dropping next to each other; I've also posted shots of identical Rares (and I mean IDENTICAL) dropping at the same place. It was only ever Uniques.

PS Langolier, I have always said the same thing: Rare and Unique ARE around the wrong way!
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Lets try to sort this out. It used to be that the game did only allow one of each ite to exist in a game. The exception was that you could bring in more than one by a character entering a game. As soon as a specific unique existed in the game, it would not be created (from a drop of a monster, or through gamble for example). Do note that "exist" did not include on the ground in non active areas.

At the same time, the game used a method of picking uniques when there existed more than one of the same type, in a method that was basically "pick the first one in the list".

This resulted in the famous pick order. That is, one made sure the first one allready existed in the game. It was then not a possible pick and the game would take the next one. And so on.

With the expansion, this was changed. now the game would create a unique as long as it had not been previously created by the game. The change was thus that bringing one in with a character would no longer mark the unique as having been created.

In addition, when more than one unique of the same type existed, the game no longer picked the first one, but picked one of them randomly (with individual probabilities for each).

Hope this helps (and was correct)!
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote: I believe it's also possible to get a Unique and then get the same Unique, but one or the other has to be ethereal.

nope, ethereality doesn't matter.
Well then, it's official. :)
There is this line in the 1.09 patch readme:
Quote:- Fixed a bug that allowed the same Unique to be spawned more than once in a game.

So it looks like two changes took place

In 1.07 the game ceased to take account of items already on characters

In 1.09 a bug fix

But yes, I too was quite puzzled having clear memories of finding the same unique twice in the same game in 1.08
I had a drop from Cow king in 1.09d on the realm where he dropped twice the funny green studded leather armor in the same drop....

Regards, Hunky
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
Only unique (gold) items are restricted to one dropping per game.
I am not sure but I think I found multiple instances of the same unique item in a game.

But could be my memory playing tricks on me (again)

Regards, Hunky

P.S. Did you follow up on the game buffer report?
I am famous for my Memory - I have no Memory
No Hunky, this happened in 1.08 and was fixed in 1.09. I remember it too :)