Backing Up Diablo & Diablo II
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I have. My computer has suffered some catastrophic software crashes that requires me to do a recovery. This action will reformat my C:\ drive and resinstall my bundled software. Is there any way to save my Diablo & Diablo II data so that I do not lose my characters current status? I tried to move Diablo & Diablo II to a CD-Rom disc, but an error came up telling me that I was not authorized to open a particular file in Diablo & Diablo II. I believe the file was named cl3. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim Sherlock

e-mail: Jim-N-Melissa@worldnet.att.net
Go into your "Save" directory within your "Diablo 2" directory off of "Program Files" on your C drive (this is assuming default installation directories).

You'll note several types of files, all associated with the various D2 character names you've created. The ones you require are the .d2s files, only. Simply copy those onto a diskette, Flashdrive, etc. etc. and you'll have your characters at their most recent incarnation.

It's been too long for me to guesstimate how to do it with Diablo characters. I'm certain another here will be helpful, shortly.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Hi,

HowGozIt wrote the definitive backup guide quite some time ago and it's hosted right here on the Lounge :)

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/diablo/informa...-howgozit.shtml

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

edit: you might as well ignore this since Pete has directed you to a guide, I'll leave my ramblings here anyway, just in case you want to bore yourself silly.

blech! I just spent the last 20 minutes typing out a detailed post and IE promptly crashed!

to condense:

D1 saves: multi_#.sv and single_#.sv (where # is a number beween 0 & 9) found kicking around loose in the D1 folder, pre version 1.08 the multi's were in the windows folder.

if it's only multi's, you can comfortably copy 20 onto floppy disk, I've seen single get to over 2Mb, which could be fun, without CDR, ZIP disk etc. if you've got a decent bandwidth connection, it won't be too hard to get a geocities website account, upload them there, and then get them back once the reformat is complete.

D2 nic mostly said it, but remeber that closed realm characters are stored on battle.net anyway, so there's no need to worry.

restoration:
reinstall the games, get latest patch, copy files back to the same places that they were on the old installations

NB D1 doesn't seem to be able to find Bnet to get the latest patcj with a fresh install, you need to update manually from the Battle.net website

if you have problems copying from inside windows (i.e. windows goes completely pear shaped, just say the word and I'm sure a few of us can help you do it from DOS)

-Bob