Cain by the Harrogath Waypoint
I know, it's more convenient to have him there. That would put him right by the waypoint and Larzuk, and just down the stairs from Malah and the portal spot. I generally don't see much of Cain in Act V because I always have a Tome of Identify, and when I portal back, I just hit Malah's place and ID things as I sell. If Cain were down by the waypoint, I'd click on Malah for the heal, head down the stairs and click Cain for IDs, then over to Larzuk. Nice.

But I for one (and probably only) do not necessarily like this move. Because somehow to me it just reinforces the fact that people are always in a hurry, generally lazy, and just plain want everything to be as convenient as possible. Is it really such a hassle that Cain is over by Qual-Kehk? He is always in the center of town, near the well if there is one. That's his place. Spending coding and debugging time to move him just so people can save 2.3 seconds running down and up a set of stairs just doesn't seem right.

Each town is laid out differently. It's easy to be spoiled by the Rogue's Camp because it's so small, and by Lut Gholein because, even though it sprawls a bit, Fara is both healer and smith, and Cain is right on the way. The Kurast Docks sprawl too, and I hate running over to Hratli, but you know what? That's just how the town is. Live with it. Harrogath sprawls, and has those stairs which took me a while to get used to, but that's the town. They didn't build it for your convenience. (Okay, come to think of it "they" - the programmers - did. But it's cool, and not that inconvenient.)

I remember a thread a while back on DII.net, someone was complaining that every NPC in town should just automatically heal you, that you shouldn't have to go to a particular one, especially if it's not one you otherwise would need to visit a lot with that character. And Cain should just automatically ID everything for you when you click on him, the same way the healers auto-heal you. My thought? What a lazy, whiny bastard. No one wants to be inconvenienced in the least.

Okay, that's enough ranting. Hold on while I look for my flame-retardant suit...

Orbert
Liza Bow 83, Polgara Tri-Sorc 82, Jane Jav 81, Kathryne Sassy 79, Bellina Xbow 78
Alfredo AxeBarb 81, Bob Pal 80, Zachary Necro 78, Merrick Werewolf 78

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
I agree with you, Orbert, but apparently you shouldn't have to worry about it; as mentioned in the other Rainbow Facet thread, Cain appeared as he did only because whoever took the screenshot was running in some sort of debug mode. His placement shouldn't make it into the final version.
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
I'm already taking bets at 3-to-1 that, if Cain is put back in his place, that the tirade of pubbie bitching would be so great that they'll stick him there in 1.10b.

And you know what? It'll be GF's fault for publishing that stupid screenshot of a totally nonsequiter* unique jewel :)

* Yes, I know the meaning of the word and I know it's incorrectly used. But I couldn't think of the equivilent word for dealing with an actual object of no worth rather than an anecdote. So sue me.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hi,

I couldn't think of the equivilent word for dealing with an actual object of no worth

Hmmm, "worthless" maybe?

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

:lol:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Sup, you'll be happy now! :D

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/images/ot...nbowfacet01.jpg

EDIT: @#$% Saw the other thread.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
According to Diabloii.net, GF just confirmed that Cains placement was simply a debug mode:

Quote from Geoff Fraizer:
Quote:"Cain is there because we were using a special "debug" version of the game where "weird" things happen =) As to the guys by the fire, I don't know. I don't think anything has changed there."

http://www.diabloii.net/#newsitem1051794590,59151,
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin