Poll: Do you use tomes?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I use a tome of ID.
0%
0 0%
I use a tome of TP.
33.33%
16 33.33%
I use both tomes.
60.42%
29 60.42%
I don't use tomes.
6.25%
3 6.25%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tomes
Myself, I use none. :)
Er, depends. My Artimentalist uses neither ID nor TP Tomes, as he has no room but for Skill Charms. My Wolf carries an ID Tome, because he does MFing, and picks up a ton of items to ID. My newer characters carry both ID and TP tomes, just out of habit. :P
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
I carry both.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I only carry TP scrolls in my belt. I don't carry ID scrolls or tombs at all.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I carry tomes of both until Cain is rescued, then only a tome of TP. I don't carry ID because I have a very simple system to determine what I carry back to ID:

Any +skills item (wand, scepter, staff) that actually has a skill bonus, or is rare or magical. Plain vanilla "white" items with no +skills, I leave where they drop, unless I lose my marbles and decide I want to waste an imbue. =P

Any magical or rare heavy armor.

Any ring or ammy. Always the chance of something good, or at least sellable.

Any exceptional throwing weapon (knives, axes, spears, etc). Generally a good price for a small inventory space.

Most other things are decided on the basis of, "do I have the inventory room, and might this be any good?" If there are ID scrolls lying around I'll use them, but I hate to waste 2 inventory spaces carting an ID tome around.

-Kasreyn

EDIT: P.S. I also carry a full tome of TP for another reason: when dealing with bosses with MR or Stone Skin (if I'm, respectively, a mage-type or melee-type character), or who can do boatloads of damage (the Heffer comes to mind), I'm not above porting to Jamella for some instant life/mana restore a few dozen times in a row. Considering that Hephaesto's curse takes so long to wear off, and the amount of experience I'd lose if he hits my sorcie 2x in a row is so high, I think it's worth blowing hundreds on scroll after scroll for some cheezy Jamella runs. =P
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
I carry tome of TP, except on baby characters where I carry both as soon as they can afford it. On older characters I use all, or almost all the space for charms.

Often I will pick up anything that strikes my fancy. Always rings and jewels and gems and charms and amulets. Most anything green or gold, except for venom ward. Always TC 90 stuff, dimensional shards and such, even if they're junk.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
What is all this about no space for tomes because of charms? I hate charms and thus rarely use them. I will keep the useful ones, but those are rare to find. I will throw out a 6% fire resist +4 to minimum damage large charm out in a heartbeat for a tome of identify. Also, if you don't have room for a TOME, how are you going to pick up a noteable drop? It is even MORE annoying when you need to visit the private stash just to pick up the isenhart's case that just dropped :)
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
I use both.

-Neutrality-
Phase 1: steal underwear
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: profit
the Langolier,May 2 2003, 05:54 AM Wrote:What is all this about no space for tomes because of charms?  I hate charms and thus rarely use them.  I will keep the useful ones, but those are rare to find.  I will throw out a 6% fire resist +4 to minimum damage large charm out in a heartbeat for a tome of identify.  Also, if you don't have room for a TOME, how are you going to pick up a noteable drop?  It is even MORE annoying when you need to visit the private stash just to pick up the isenhart's case that just dropped :)
Agreed...tomes are simply convenient. And what exactly are these crazy people doing that they can't spare 4 slots? :P
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Well, I used to avoid ID tomes, until I hated going back to ask Cain 5298052 times. I think he and I don't get along very well anymore. :(

I pride convience over anything else. If I don't like an ID'd item I drop it. Plus, it allows the people who are too lazy in my party to carry ID to see if it's good or not. :P Doing 20 more damage or having 30 more mf isn't worth having an overloaded inventory which will screw you over in a public game :D

So I always have a 4x2 spot open, a horadic cube, the two tomes, and sometimes keys (I'm crazy) The rest of the space is of course charms which becomes a case of survival of the fittest

I think it's worth it to quickly analyze elite items without running to town everytime.
Only char i have that regularily dont use tomes are my pvp sorc. She has a row of tp and a row of id scrolls in the belt. Pity that the belt is bugged when it comes to scrolls tho, it dosnt automaticaly move everything down when u use a scroll.
I use both. TP tomes I think are an obvious choice. I like the ID tomes so I don't have to go to town as often. I usually only pick up items that are worth max money. Any elite items I find I pick up, ID, and throw on the ground if they are garbage, or keep if they are good. Without an ID tome I would be making many more trips to town.

I don't carry too many charms unless it's a character that really needs them. Even then, I keep my tomes/charms at a level where I can always fit 2 more large size items in my inventory if I need to.
USWest Hardcore Realms
Accounts: mikedok5, mikedok6
the Langolier,May 2 2003, 05:54 PM Wrote:I will throw out a 6% fire resist +4 to minimum damage large charm out in a heartbeat for a tome of identify.
Um. Most people would throw out such a charm for two squares of empty space. :blink:

Come to think of it, I'd throw out an ID tome for two squares of empty space too. :P

:lol:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Definitely both tomes - thats standard issue for any truly dedicated adventurer , just like flint n steel , 50' rope , waterskin , torches, ......... :P
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
I try to carry both when I can, but after keys and mana potions, they're the first things to be dumped if I need invetory space, if I can only carry one, it's TP.

-Bob
I am one to typically use absolutely advantage possible. That means that in hell difficulty if I can replace a tome of ID with a 1-2 fire damage grand charm...it's worth it. However, TP tomes are my lifeblood at times as I tend to "get in over my head" alot.

PS, thanks to whoever had the post about TP hotkey problems as ever since I've had Portal on a hotkey. My dumbass never thought of it before. :blink:
"Once you have tasted flight,
you will forever walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there
you have been, and there you will
always long to return."

-Leonardo da Vinci
WarBlade,May 2 2003, 04:01 AM Wrote:Um. Most people would throw out such a charm for two squares of empty space. :blink:

Come to think of it, I'd throw out an ID tome for two squares of empty space too.

True, but isn't that the standard quality of charms you find?

I think it is more effective to carry around that tome of ID using two spaces in order to ID that Full Plate Mail that ends up having worthless mods. When you dump it, you have already saved yourself 4 slots net with a single ID scroll. This is especially important if you have an inventory of charms and you get 4 mephisto drops. Plus, when you are going through an area such as the chaos sanctuary, you can pick up and ID all the blue drops from normal monsters and the three super uniques. Instead of going to town four times (or just ignoring items that you think you might not want) you can just pick it up quick, ID it, and drop the worthless ones.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
I pretty much agree with that. I prefer to be able to know in two seconds what to keep. Then I drop it already ID'd for anyone else to come along to pick up. (Not everyone recognizes which unique is which)

Also I do some MF and come across tons of stuff worth selling. I'm not going back to town to ask cain if this phase blade is good or not each time ones drop. Mf charms aren't great enough to make a big bonus. 100 extra MF isn't really worth the trouble when you already have 400 due to diminishing returns

I find time to be the most important factor. In these two charm spaces, I can stash what? 12 mf? +30 life? about 50 more damage? Maybe, but from my experience Killing a boss three seconds faster isn't worth the trouble. :)

What if there are two good drops? I believe we'll be the only ones to be able to pick up items, because everyone else wants 30 more fire resist :P

But that's the way I play. I don't bother with gaining every advantage there is. I just play and I like it fast. I don't save stat or skill points for more than three levels, because in the long run, it doesn't matter much. Of course, this leads to screw-ups, but hey! *Cough* Breast Plate :)

But all and all, you efficiency folks do have it better in the long run. Of course, I'll still pack both tomes and a key. After all, I would have never found a Cruel elite item via drop if I had to annoy Cain all the time.

(Yea, yea, you all have mules of super elite weapons, but hey! How many have dropped :P)
Most of my regular (i.e. start and play thru entire game) characters carry both tomes.
However some characters with lots of charms carry ID tome only and tp scrolls in belt slot # 4.
My reason is that if something tasty looking drops I might not have too much room to carry it back to town (I'm addicted to picking up gems AND carrying lots of charms :o ) so I usually like to ID it on the spot and ditch it if its junk or useless for the cube.

... that and casting TP in the middle of battle from belt while strafe-locked is just so .. 'cool' :P