Questions about cold damage
Something I've never quite understood: what exactly makes monsters chill and/or shatter upon death, and how can I increase the odds of that happening?

Specifically, if I have cold damage on my weapon, and a few charms with cold damage, would the odds be better than if I didn't have the charms too? Or is it the total amount of cold damage and not the number of charms at all? What if I have no cold damage on the weapon but a bunch of small charms with 1-2 cold damage?

Basically, I don't want to fill my inventory with a bunch of cold charms if it makes no difference, but if the number matters, or the total amount matters, then I have something to consider. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Orbert
Liza Bow 83, Polgara Tri-Sorc 82, Jane Jav 81, Kathryne Sassy 79, Bellina Xbow 78
Alfredo AxeBarb 81, Bob Pal 80, Zachary Necro 78, Merrick Werewolf 78

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
IIRC the chance to shatter is 1/3 when chilled or automatically shatter when frozen. You can't modify this by charms. My memory could be fuzzy on 'chill shattering' though - Someone might prove me wrong. :unsure:

What you can modify is chill duration which improves with each charm added. ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Reaching Zero hit points while frozen causes the shattering animation to play. Longer freeze durations increase the chance of this occurring. Longer freeze durations come from the largest cold damage item attributes and higher levels of some spells.

I mainly play necros, but you could look into the stats for sorcs and for sapphires in weapons to get specific data.
Growler

"To excuse such an atrocity by blaming U.S. government policies is to deny the basic idea of all morality: that individuals are responsible for their actions." -- Salman Rushdie writing of September 11th
WarBlade,May 3 2003, 01:56 AM Wrote:...1/3 when chilled or automatically shatter when frozen.
That's correct. Adding cold damage charms has one benefit -- every charm will add one second cold duration. The frost maiden in LoD can get stupid freeze durations because of this -- with my less than ideal setup, my girl has about 10-15 seconds of freeze with ice arrow (depending on equipment, etc) in hell. Playing in normal is fun :).

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
I can picture you in Normal, surrounding yourself with minute long, beautiful blue translucent statues of Harpies in the Ice Caves.

"Walking in a winter Wonder Land . . . "

How serene, if it weren't for those nasty old Ice Trolls. Bah, they are just art haters! :o

Or, maybe redecorating World Stone Keep, level 1, with Sirens and Skeleton Warriors, frozen in some silent, sculptured, tableau.

Hmmmm, Gekko Scissorshands . . . :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete