Character Problems
A few months ago, my old hard drive was having some problems. Fearing the loss of my Diablo characters, I saved them onto a floppy. Not long after, my HD died and I was forced to purchase a new one. Just today, I decided to copy them over from the floppy. I had v1.09 installed, and when I copied the multi_#.sv files into the Diablo folder, a couple of them wouldn't show up when I loaded the game. I'm not sure why this would happen. If anyone could help me out on getting them to work, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
Hail Kryn,

I had that once too. The problem was that I had patched to 1.09, but the characters I had not USED in 1.09 were still saved on the dlls in the Windows folder. They only get moved to the new files AFTER you use them - which, to be perfectly honest, stinks! If there's any chance that's you have not used them since 1.07, then there's a good chance that is your problem.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I once had troubles with moving char files from one computer to another. This happened b/c i needed to rename a few of them, example: multi_3.sv instead of multi_0.sv. Some of the renamed files didn't show up in the game... The weird thing: renaming them back made them show up, but they turned out to have become copies of the other char files:( I was like "wtf" and from that day on i became very careful with my diablo char files.
(All char files spoken of were created in 1.09 btw)
Elric of Grans,May 5 2003, 01:02 AM Wrote:Hail Kryn,

I had that once too. The problem was that I had patched to 1.09, but the characters I had not USED in 1.09 were still saved on the dlls in the Windows folder. They only get moved to the new files AFTER you use them - which, to be perfectly honest, stinks! If there's any chance that's you have not used them since 1.07, then there's a good chance that is your problem.

If I hadn't used them in 1.09, then they'd still be in .dlls, right? But the files I have are multi_#.sv, which means they were used in 1.09, correct? Also, they go from multi_0.sv to multi_8.sv, I don't think any renaming would have to be done since this is how they were when I played on my old hard drive. The only thing that's really changed is that I upgraded from Win2k to WinXP, but I don't see why that'd effect just half of the characters.
Is grace enough to build a bridge once burned, to fill that which is hollow with the substance of virtue,
Though the wings of a dove have wiped a tear from my eye, my tongue has fanned the flames of transgression,
But love suffers long and rejoices in truth, and this imperfect creation is striving none the less for that which is eternal...

- Hopesfall - The Broken Heart Of A Traitor
Check this page for transferring characters, it says there that you MUST use them, it has something to do with the computer name.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect