I saw X-Men 2 today...
Well I don't know if I want to see sentinels or not, but it does seem like it would be a pretty simple idea for them to introduce. I mean all they have to think is "how are we going to protect ourselves or the people". From there it is a short jump to the sentinels though of course they will be tweaked some from what they are in the comics.

The thing that I really want to see and seems to be wanted by many is for gambit to show up. I figure he will not show up on the good guy side to start with though. He has a pretty good amount of history with the bad side of things. He is a thief of course, but also its been said that when the morlocks were massecred he was the one that showed the people who did it to them where they were. I am sure there are plenty of other not quite "good" things in his past as well. So I see him being introduced on some other side and then eventually changing over. Gambit was never really a very for sure good guy anyway. He always ended up doing the "good thing" in the end, but usually there were questions he had to debate on the way to that end. So I think he is ripe material for use in that way.

The same could actually be done for colossus since he has been known to side with the brotherhood on times as well. I don't think they will go that route with him though seeing as how they have already shown him as a good guy. I kind of doubt that they will use him more than as a bit part guy though. They blew him off pretty quickly in X2. They didn't show much of iceman and pyro in the first one either and they got bigger roles, so it could happen with him as well. It could have been just an introduction for more use in the next movie. I kind of doubt it though.

I also doubt they will have rogue gain any perminate powers. I don't really think they would fit with the character they have made her into. She just isn't really the rogue that we know from comics. There seems to be a much different personality to the two characters, though of course some of this is because of the comic version having the more power.

Its fairly obvious that something will be done with the phoenix aspect of Jean. I tend to agree though that they will just say it is her natural powers manifesting themselves. To try and explain it like it is in the comics is just too complicated and confusing for the movie.
bschultz,May 6 2003, 08:18 PM Wrote:so no one's mentioned how jean grey was turning into the Phoenix at the end of the movie there.
Because aside from being obvious to all the readers of the comicbook, to those who've only ever seen the films and don't know the backstories, it's called a spoiler and others among us were refraining from mentioning it on purpose. <_<

But since you brought it up, yes the firelight in the eyes was a dead givaway and the stretched wing bird 'insignia' appearing in the drink was just extra eye-rolling confirmation.

As previously speculated, I don't think we'll see much of the comicbook backstory. Rather, this is a transformation of Jean Grey into Jean ohsomeone'sgettingtheirasskicked!!! Grey probably to be called "Phoenix". As to speculations of it being triggered by Cerebro, yeah I can go along with that and I'll also point out Magneto's genetic mutator doohicky could be a contender and perhaps even a combination of effects from both gadgets. ;)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
WarLocke,May 7 2003, 05:00 AM Wrote:Here's what I want to see in X3:

The government, extremely alarmed at the near-death of everyone in the world, somehow learns that it was at the hands of a mutant (perhaps Stryker's second leaked the information).&nbsp; Wanting to ensure that such a situation never happens again, the president (maybe not the one from X2, perhaps this is next term) authorizes yet another secret operation to curb the "mutant threat", headed by Henry Trask.&nbsp; Yes, that's right, I want some hot hot Sentinel buttkicking action!&nbsp; The Sentinels tear up the mansion (again), and we see cuts to sentinels fighting other mutants (perfect place for some cameos).&nbsp; The Sentinels, however, develop a glitch:&nbsp; since every "normal" human being has the potential to mutate, or pass a mutation to their progeny, the only way to wipe out all mutants is to kill all the normals as well.&nbsp; This culminates in the X-Men having to fight their way into Trask's base to turn off the Sentinels (and perhaps get some Master Mold action, too).&nbsp; This would quite nicely tie up the current "Anti-Mutant Government" story arc.
On one hand you point out the movies "stay away from the outlandish" and then you wish for Sentinels??? :o

:lol:

I can almost guarantee Sentinels are one thing we're very unlikely to see.

Quote:Oh, a few more things X3 needs:
Gambit
Cannonball Special!
Longshot (yeah, I wish...)
More Colossus
Rogue's powers

- Gambit? I hope not. :P
- Cannonball? I wonder if that was the kid playing basketball in X-Men (looked like a teleporter, but not sure).
- Longshot? I'd love to see Longshot, but a synthetic man from another dimension doesn't fit the movie continuity . . . although I wouldn't put it past them to include him with a suitable backstory if he was deemed a suitable character.
- More Colossus? Colossus and Nightcrawler were my favourite characters from the second generation and I love seeing them now. Unfortunately the 'actor' playing Colossus sounded distinctly American in his one line of dialogue and that just doesn't feel right (speaking of which, my memory of Pyro in the comic was that he was Australian). :blink:
- Rogue's Powers? Um. Rogue has one power. We've seen it. Unless she gets to kill someone who flies and throws cars around she'll still have one power.

No, I think X2 has thrown us right up to mutant character saturation point for the time being. The problem with adding more characters is they tend to spread the story thin as the film tries to do them all justice. If I had a wish regarding characters for X3 it would be simply to focus on and develope that which is already there. B)
WarBlade,May 5 2003, 06:37 AM Wrote:The comicbook character is actually wrapped in ice rather than transforms into ice.
Well, Iceman used to be wrapped in ice (like on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends!), but he got a power boost a few years ago. Long story short, Emma Frost got Bobby to utilize the "full potential" of his powers and now his body is actually made up of a unique type of ice.

/end fanboy speak

Quote:Cannonball? I wonder if that was the kid playing basketball in X-Men (looked like a teleporter, but not sure).
If I remember correctly, the rumor when the first movie came out was that this kid was Nightcrawler. Obviously, that was wrong. I personally thought he could have been Quicksilver, but I don't think the kid had an official name in the credits.

Quote:Rogue's Powers? Um. Rogue has one power. We've seen it. Unless she gets to kill someone who flies and throws cars around she'll still have one power.
It looks like they're doing the same thing with the cartoon on the WB. I personally like this version better.

Quote:If I had a wish regarding characters for X3 it would be simply to focus on and develope that which is already there. B)
Agreed.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
I agree that we will probably not see sentinels in the third movie -- and we know there will be a third one -- for a variety of reasons. Not the least of these reasons is that the X-movies have for the most part "played it straight", ie. tried not to be campy as hell. It would be very difficult to write a plot for a mutant movie that incorporates giant death robots yet still has a human element to the story. I'm not saying it would be impossible to do, but I'd say it's one of the less likely scenarios.

On the other hand, aside from the names of a few mutants on the computer screen there were also the names of a few initiatives. One such initiative was called "Project Wideawake" and I do believe that was the name for the original sentinel program.

The next movie is likely 2+ years away now, so we'll be wondering about it for some time.
Gambit and Wolverine. They never trusted each other. Ever. Were always at each other's throats. At least, in the cartoon years back they were. :D I never was big into the comics, save for when that weird biological / cyborg virus thing came out. That was cool. You know, the one that affected the guy with the big ass guns? Looks like someone from UT? I can't remember his name. It's been SO long since I collected comics / cards. I still have 'em somewhere, though.

Cyclops vs. Wolverine vs. Gambit. Hehe, oh what a show of masculinity! Pure macho BS bashing heads with one another. Always good comedy. ;)

Seriously though, Gambit SHOULD be in. Yeah, he's not the best character, but he adds so much FLAIR. His whole attitude would just shine, if you ask me. But, I'm biased. I always thought he was cool. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,May 7 2003, 02:07 PM Wrote:Seriously though, Gambit SHOULD be in. Yeah, he's not the best character, but he adds so much FLAIR. His whole attitude would just shine, if you ask me. But, I'm biased. I always thought he was cool. :D
He was cool for all of 5 minutes . . . :unsure: . . . well, a few isues anyway. I still have his first appearance tucked away somewhere and he was interesting to begin with, but dark and mysterious only goes so far before it's persistance gets silly. I got sick of him pretty quickly after those first few issues.

I sincerely hope the movies never show him, simply because the inclusion of a character who adds nothing but aesthetic value as percieved by the craving masses is adding nothing to the character interaction and won't really further the plot. Looks alone won't cut it. When I imagine Gambit in an X-Men sequel I imagine something like having Yoda in Star Wars with only the spinning lightsaber tactics and no zen commentry --> Flashy with no substance.
Quote:I sincerely hope the movies never show him, simply because the inclusion of a character who adds nothing but aesthetic value as percieved by the craving masses is adding nothing to the character interaction and won't really further the plot.

The funny thing is, this also describes Wolverine. He's a guy with claws and an attitude that goes berserk and cuts people up. Superficially, Gambit and Wolverine are both just "aesthetic value" characters.

Oh, and the Cannonball Special is (was?) a Colossus/Wolverine signature move: Colossus would pick up Wolvie and hurl him at a clump of badguys. Extreme gutting action would follow. As much as I want to see this, if they keep the same actor for Colossus, I don't thik they can do it (he doesn't look large/strong enough to hurl Jackman).

There was a mutant called Cannonball (in X-Factor? Whichever team Cable ran); he could fly, and generated a sort of "friction barrier" around himself when in flight, so he could "canoball" right through things.

- WL
Though I like gambits attitude and such, I actually think adding him would add some substance. I'll present some points as I see them, which of course doesn't mean that they have any worth what so ever. : )

1: Bad guy turned good guy. Now we currently have wolverine debating a little what side is right. He is not a clear cut good guy what with the killing and such. So he could be used to show some of the "bad guys" opinion and how it compares to the "good guys" opinion. Wolverine isn't the type to be really torn by indecision though and to debate things. He is more of an instinctual kind of character. For this reason I think gambit would be a good addition. Gambit has always been a character that has straddled the line between good and bad. I think this presents him as a good character to use to really showcase the parts of the different sides that are tempting to people. You get to see the debate in his character as he chooses sides. Everyone that has been introduced has been quickly aligned to one side. The only exception to this is pyro, but I think its safe to say that it was fairly obvious where he was headed. So I think gambit will help pull out some of the thoughts that go on when debating sides and choosing where you stand.

2: Iceman/Rouge/Gambit. Current I think the iceman rogue relationship is a little shallow. There isn't much point to it being in the story. It does show some of the problems of being a mutant, but I don't think it does it in a very pleasing way. If you throw gambit into the mix you get a little more depth added to the situation. (though he would have to be made younger to fit the age group which I dunno how well would work) You end up iceman and gambit having tension between them. You get to explore younger mutants using their powers against each other just like normal younger people get into fights sometimes. Basically adding tenstion to a situation opens room for things to happen.

3: Wolverine/Gambit. Gambit being the type to not be sure of which side he is on as stated in point 1 would make wolverine trust him less. Then you add in gambit and rogue having some interaction (point 2) which would probably get wolverines attention since he is protective of rogue. Thus you have more byplay taking place to add to the depth of the characters some.

Overall I think his outlook on things is different enough from any other character involved that it would be useful thing in the movie. Now these things can probably be done without him. Point 1 can be done by fleshing out the pyro character some and his debate for which side to be on. Point 2 may not really need to be done by adding another person to disrupt things some, but rather just come up with more reason for iceman and rogue to be there and basically just write it better. Okay so I had a few issues with their seems. They didn't seem quite right to me. : ) Point 3 can be taken care of with the current cast of characters and the byplay between them.

So is he needed? Probably not. Can he used as part of the story? I think so. Being a thief and such easily can be worked into a plot so that he helps it along. Him switching sides gradually as things progress helps with presenting a different viewpoint as well.

It does seem that soon they are going to have a problem of too many characters to handle. They are going to have to find a way to work that out though. I'm sure they have given it thought already even. They probably did so before the first movie was even made. You can't really take on a move like x-men without realizing that there are alot of characters and that you will have to find a way of handling that. Yes you could just not introduce any more. When the point is that there are alot of mutants out there and that it needs to be accepted, to not introduce any new ones is to lessen that point. The introduction of new mutants shows that there are indeed many mutants out there. It helps press the point to the audience. Of course adding mutants doesn't mean you have to add x-men. You can add more to the brotherhood or any other faction as you please. My point is just that to stop introducing them at all doesn't seem the right answer to me. Also the introduction of new mutants doesn't mean that the character growth of old ones has to stop. Sure you can't focus on them all at once, but I think that most of the characters have enough of a core to them that they can be grown while still doing other things.

Anyway back to the original point and gambit. I think that he could be added and in such of way that he helps the story. I also think that he could be left out as well. Any character is only as useful as the writer chooses to make him. So while I want to see gambit in the next movie, it owld make perfect sense for him not to be there as well. : )
WarLocke,May 7 2003, 02:39 PM Wrote:The funny thing is, this also describes Wolverine.&nbsp; He's a guy with claws and an attitude that goes berserk and cuts people up.&nbsp; Superficially, Gambit and Wolverine are both just "aesthetic value" characters.
Not.

Superficially Wolverine was always an aesthetic value character, but that's only scratching the surface. Between the amnesia, his love interests, the turning to busido as a quasi-religious curbing of his violent tendancies, the Weapon X (and Alpha Flight) piece of his hidden past, Maverick and Sabertooth, etc etc this is one character with more layers than an onion. Despite the Dirty Harry personality the various writers conveyed many ideas through him.

Quote:There was a mutant called Cannonball (in X-Factor?&nbsp; Whichever team Cable ran); he could fly, and generated a sort of "friction barrier" around himself when in flight, so he could "canoball" right through things.

The groups were New Mutants and later X-Terminators (third X-Terminators) with Cable. He was also physically strong and one plot offered the claim that he was suppsedly immortal.
Cable! THAT'S the guy with the weird viral infection on his arm.

That was when I got into the comics - when that virus started hitting the world over. Never did finish that chapter, either. :( Pity. I still have a few of the comics left, too. The ones I managed to buy, anyway. I'm missing a good handful of that chapter. Bah.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Heh. Maybe someone can tell us how that story arc ended then. :lol: That's roughly where I left off . . . Moira MacTaggert got infected (mutant virus jumped to human), Rahne jumped into the quaranteen with her, Maverick was dying, I saw the cartoon on TV and experienced increasing disenchantment with the new-found extra colour kiddie-focus storylines. After the top writers and artists did a runner and formed Top Cow under the Image brand name the X-Men died for me.

Ghostrider and Blade kept me looking at Marvel for a bit, but even they failed in the end. :( As did my favourite Top Cow titles eventually. :(
...was good. VERY good. :D

Oh man. Nostalgia hitting again. Sad thing is, I actually want to go break out the cards and start collecting again. What's next, M:tG? :P

Back on topic, though, I THINK I have the last episode. Or the second to last episode. Whichever, I remember a scene of glass tubes filled with the skeletons of the original X-Men (Wolverine's skeleton was easy to spot). I know this came from the comic book, but I seem to recall a cartoon image of it, as well.

My mind was never good when it comes to memories. Pity. Mayhap I'll dig up my old comics, and have a look through. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
http://membres.lycos.fr/zcomics/phalanx_us1.htm

A good summary of the storyline for Phalanx Covenant. I happen to have a few of them, all in mint condition, too. :D Mayhap I shall finish my collection of this storyline.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
We're refering to different virii then. I was thinking of a long winded storyline of a virus engineered to target mutants (and the name completely eludes me). I was dimly aware of the Phalanx Covenant but it was right at the end (or maybe just after) of my following this stuff.

Techno Organic virus . . . Warlock/Douglock?

Ah whatever. The stories were getting screwed by then anyway. ( = me not really interested )
Although, if you read the story (from the Phalanx Covenant series; not sure about elsewhere), you learn that it was actually an alien lifeform, or somesuch, and that it wants the eradication of all beings in the universe.

It's actually quite confusing, if you ask me. That site, however, gives a good summary of the comics "The Phalanx Covenant". Whether that particular storyline matches others elsewhere, I do not know. But, it is the "virus engineered to target mutants".

It's complex. Leave it at that. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Wolverine's skeleton at the time of his death would have only been easy to spot because he was so short.

Magneto RIPPED Wolverine to pieces, stipping the metal from his bones. His claws proved to be natural, extensions of bone and fingernail like substance that was covered by metal. With out his metal reinforcement, Wolverine found that he and his claws were useless. Sad really, what they did to Wolverine.

Cable is One Bad Mutha... And for good reason. IIRC, he is the son of Scott Summers.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Phalanx was about the Techno Organic beings/virus, which started with the introduction of Warmachine and Warlocke in the early days of the New Mutants comic book.
The other virus was (is?) the Legacy Virus.

My interest in Xmen ended with Uncanny Xmen 252, the issue where Psylocke (pre-ninja) persuades the Xmen to escape into the Siege Perilous while being under attack from the Reavers. After that IMO Jim Lee etc. (aka. the Image guys) replaced substance and story with flash and frankly, porn-lite for the kids; and Marvel really cranked up the number of titles.

The only decent storyline after 252 was the Age of Apocalypse.

Still occasionally go and read synapsee of the books from fansites though. Nostalgia thing probably.
Dani,May 7 2003, 03:15 PM Wrote:The other virus was (is?) the Legacy Virus.
The Legacy Virus got cured by Colossus sacrificing himself. Peter is now dead and beyond resurrection (he was burned and his ashes spread to the winds).
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
In the Marvel universe nothing is beyond resurrection. Certain red headed mutant has alone proved that. :P