ITD, AR and the Lying Character Screen
Greetings Fellow Lurkers

I think I need a review on this topic, please.

For background, I have been building a Bow Necromancer. He is clvl 75 now, and has pumped dexterity to 250+. Additionally, he has a rare circlet with Visionary (% increase to AR based on clvl) and Platinum (+104 AR). Until yesterday, he was using a Pus Spitter as his main bow (decent AR bonus on that too).

And he still had a very poor % chance to hit anything. His chance to hit a Death Mauler was 65%.

However, a miracle happened, and an Eaglehorn dropped in the Bloody Foothills. He got very excited. ITD ! AR bonus ! Improved damage even. Who cares if it is slow........every bow in his hands is slow.

After equipping it, I was reviewing the Lying Character Screen to see what improvement he had. It was in a Hell Act 1 game, and his % chance to hit a Carver Shaman was listed at 80% with the Eaglehorn equipped but without the circlet. Swapping the circlet back in resulted in an 89% chance to hit.

I had understood that ITD actually meant 95% chance to hit things (except for Bosses, where one's normal chance to hit applied).

Does the Lying Character Screen show something else? Is it the % chance to hit things without the ITD effect? Or was it because he was quite a few levels lower than the monster he was trying to hit?

Please review exactly how ITD works and how AR factors in? And what is it that the Lying Character Screen does show, anyway?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hail Shadow,

And to think I suggested a Goldstrike ;)

ITD does not mean 95% chance to hit: it simply removes target's defense from the calculations. There is still the clvl/mlvl curve to worry about. Therefore, if a critter has a higher mlvl than your clvl, your chance to hit is would be lower than 95%; if it's the same or lower, then you're set.

However, the LCS has never taken ITD into account: it does the same (mis)calculations no matter what. It is listing what your chance to hit would be without the ITD; you'd be hitting a tad more than that :)

Now for the formula...

100 × AR/(AR + DR) × 2 × alvl/(alvl + dlvl)

alvl = attacker's level
dlvl = defender's level

It normally uses that formula to work out your to-hit, but if you have ITD (and it's not a boss you're attacking), then AR vs DR bit is removed (ignored):

100 × 2 × alvl/(alvl + dlvl)

As you see, it's better chances to hit, but still not always 95% :)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Like said before ITD just sets the monster defense to 0; you still have to deal with the level diffrence between you and the monster. The level diffrence factor actualy seems to be more important than ITD or attack rating. If you were level 50 with ITD against a level 80 monster, you would still have difficulty, although it still helps.

Monsters can block I believe. (*cough* Diablo) which makes the chance of them getting hit even less.

ITD doesn't work on bosses either.

Hope you'll find a demon machine which is fast and has something even better than ITD, since fires explosive arrows auto-hits with none of that clvl/mlvl crap ;)

And yes, never trust the character screen. It doesn't seem to take in account ITD.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:Monsters can block I believe. (*cough* Diablo) which makes the chance of them getting hit even less.

From memory he is the only one in the entire game with this ability.

Not even the shield wielding corrupted rogues have blocking (or so I understand... however odd *that* is :blink: )

... and I agree it is kind of silly that LCS doesn't account for a *variety* of seemingly *unique* effects (deadly strike/mastery/cs is another one .. one could factor it %wise into dmg display and it would be a lot more accurate than the ugh abortion of a thing they did with poison adders) present on dozen's of special game items and visible to everyone who comes across one but incorporates the ever present but *invisible* (monsters don't display *their* level when selected) clvl/mlvl penalty. <_<

I dont even dare to hope 1.10 fixes some of the display issues.
I think Oblivion Knights can block as well (though they do not have shields).
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Hmm interesting. It can't be very high as they are not hard to take down. Is it physical attack/arrow block or
does it have spell 'avoid' component like amazon's avoid skill?
Hmm...Arreat Summit doesn't say anything about it. I guess I was mistaken. But I could have sworn that they had a physical attack/arrow block. Oh well.
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Hail Vash,

Using Fire Arrow as much as I have, I know exacty what blocks (very little), and how much (beyond Diablo, very little again :P ). Oblivion and, I think (though I could be remembering wrong), Abyss Knights have blocking, but the animation looks like avoid. I cannot remember anything else notable, but I'm sure Fallen have something like a 5% chance to block ;)
Hrmm maybe its only their bone armor that they cast sometimes absorbing stuff. :blink:
Actuallly, in the latest game with my warrior, a fallen managed to block me three times in a row. Hell difficulty will be a treat seeing as it takes me 6 swings or so to kill a zombie in the blood moor :)
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Nah, their bone armor is no different from a Necro's. It absorbs physical damage but doesn't "blolck".

Ah and yes Elric...I remember the animation now. I knew I got that idea in my head from somwhere...
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
Lahve and peace!
ldw,May 11 2003, 04:54 AM Wrote:From memory he is the only one in the entire game with this ability.

Not even the shield wielding corrupted rogues have blocking (or so I understand... however odd *that* is :blink: )

... and I agree it is kind of silly that LCS doesn't account for a *variety* of seemingly *unique* effects (deadly strike/mastery/cs is another one .. one could factor it %wise into dmg display and it would be a lot more accurate than the ugh abortion of a thing they did with poison adders) present on dozen's of special game items and visible to everyone who comes across one but incorporates the ever present but *invisible* (monsters don't display *their* level when selected) clvl/mlvl penalty.&nbsp; <_<

I dont even dare to hope 1.10 fixes some of the display issues.
Check various monster stats on the Arreat Summit. It will display blocking for some of them. Izual has 75% block :blink:
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Hail Archon Wing,

Actually, I'm not too sure about that value. I have not the files handy to check right now, but I'm sure those values are taken direcly from the block column of monstats.txt, and those raw vaules could not possably be the final figures used in the game. After all, Diablo has something like 230% block there, and I have an awful feeling that Baal is listed as having more block than Diablo... and I'm POSITIVE that cannot be the case!
Also have a low block chance when shield equipped. I have never seen the animation, but friends I trust tell me that they have.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete