hell/caves
I was doing a hell/caves run as a sorcerer and I had a couple of questions. Jarulf says charging horned demons have a 500% cth. Why does that number not wrap around the way diablo's cth does in NM and hell difficulty (maybe it does wrap around to 245 which is still pretty high)?

Also, what are sorcerers to do against obsidian lords. They're 3x immune (in hell difficulty), they're animals (no CC), and they attack golems. As I see it there is only apocalypse, stone curse and king's sword (since they are animals you get a bit of help this way) of haste, speed, slaughter or carnage (with puny damage), or stone curse and golem. Ugh! Is there a better way (aside from not doing hell/caves runs)?
Hi, I think that it doesn't wrap around because the tohit value for the charge attack is not part of the monsters table. The horned demons' main attack tohit value is 60% and 100% for the secondary attack, what ever that is.
So, this 500% value is intrinsic for the attack type (where it has 2 bytes space) and not assigned to the particular monster which uses this attack. Also see chapters 6.1.7 and 6.2.3 in JG.

As for the obsidian lords, why don't you just skip those levels? ;-)
Quote:Hi, I think that it doesn't wrap around because the tohit value for the charge attack is not part of the monsters table. The horned demons' main attack tohit value is 60% and 100% for the secondary attack, what ever that is.
So, this 500% value is intrinsic for the attack type (where it has 2 bytes space) and not assigned to the particular monster which uses this attack. Also see chapters 6.1.7 and 6.2.3 in JG.

As for the obsidian lords, why don't you just skip those levels? ;-)

As to the horned demons thanks. As to the obs. lords that´s what I do. It is interesting that there is such a difficult (for a mage) low level creature.
Quote:Also, what are sorcerers to do against obsidian lords. They're 3x immune (in hell difficulty), they're animals (no CC), and they attack golems. As I see it there is only apocalypse, stone curse and king's sword (since they are animals you get a bit of help this way) of haste, speed, slaughter or carnage (with puny damage), or stone curse and golem. Ugh! Is there a better way (aside from not doing hell/caves runs)?

That's it, but options 2 and 3 are the same option. Fight with your golem for increased killing power. If you don't keep a king's sword, pick up a random sharp item and start poking. It's really not that bad and can be kind of fun. But if you are trying for fast experience, fast items, or fast anything, you should be skipping *all* triple immunes.
Quote:That's it, but options 2 and 3 are the same option. Fight with your golem for increased killing power. If you don't keep a king's sword, pick up a random sharp item and start poking. It's really not that bad and can be kind of fun.

The only reason I seperated 2 and 3 is because against advocates your golem is left alone as opposed to here.

Quote:But if you are trying for fast experience, fast items, or fast anything, you should be skipping *all* triple immunes.

What if I want a lord's sword of puncturing :)
Actually, Obsi Lords are fine. Not very high HP, sharp weapons do fine (I used bastard KSOH. H for Heavens though :-) ) and golem kills their statues quite fast. Just watch your back for charge attack. Advocs are not bad either. You can use the same tactics as for Obsi Lords.
The problem are Soul Burners. They fire at your Golem from insane distance (if they have clear line of sight) and it takes a lot of manoeuvring to lure few of them to some "leeward", where you can finally cast a Golem to help you. Also, their HP can be even higher than HP of Blood Knight.

I remmember to my Naked Mage 3@30. I met Soul Burners in 15. Somehow I underestimated this possibility and my Golems slvl was 2. It took me literally hundreds of potions just to clear way to Laz. That experience set up new definition for word "tedious".

Basically, one or two Bountiful/Apoc staves can do the job much more faster than any weapon + slvl 20 Golem. And if you dont want to loose 95% of your killing speed, you have to get one.
Actually, tripple immune monsters are reason, why I dont like sorceror. Most powerfull character, bah .... My Warrior or Rogue can clear lvls with Obsidian Lords, Soul Burners and Advocates very fast and Warlord of Blood, Lionskull the Bent or Rustweaver take just few swings or arrows, while most of Sorcs just chicken out when they see first yellow bloodstar. Pansies ;-)