Izu-Sorc
I'm playing a Izual-Sorceress right now (Frostnova). She is level 13 and needs some advice:

I want to max Frostnova and Warmth (perhaps Warmth only 15)

I want to go on fast cast wherever I can get my hands on it

I plan on having Fire wall as second damage variant later on (sick of these lvl 30 skills - hydra, orb etc)

I have set nearly all stats in Energy, FN is Lvl 6 right now (lvl 8 with my staff), and Warmth is lvl 7 (lvl 8 with my staff)

Has anyone of you played a Sorc like that?

Would be great if one of you lads could give me some advice for later on...

PS: Again, it's only Single Player..

CU Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
I'd go with meteor w/ fire mastery over firewall w/ fire mastery....firewall may do more damage, but it's over time and is more difficult to keep monsters on it the full duration than the majority of the damage from meteor (which is the impact damage...you should be able to get down timing of meteor after a few tries, little hard at first but then it becomes second nature).

If you get far enough to have a tertiary skill (Frost Nova - Primary, Meteor or Firewall - secondary, X - Tertiary) - I'd go with either blizzard, glacial spike, fireball, or high level static field. These would provide you with some extra speed and range for your build, another option is ice armor but it won't provide these, it will however provide you with high defensive ability.

Hope that helps (also lets you avoid the redundant level 30 skills, which the sorceress is one of the few capable of doing without losing signifigant abilities - if any).
Chaos < Logic > Order
One who knows the enemy and knows himself will not be in danger in a hundred battles.
One who does not know the enemy but knows himself will sometimes win, sometimes lose.
One who does not know the enemy and does not know himself will be in danger in every battle.
- Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
Ok ok ok.

I must admit I didn't like Meteor that much since the last time I played with it.. The delay before the damage is dealt was a huge turn-off for me.
Hm.
Perhaps I never really lerned to use it...
Lemme see:
When dealing with melee attackers, I'd cast it on me or in front of me, while casting FN with fast cast..
When dealing with ranged attackers, I'd simply cast Meteor on 'em while I'm trying to get close so I can use FN
AND
They won't be able to avoid the fire damage from meteor so easily once they are chilled by FN...

Sounds good to me :P

As to what concerns the tertiary skill - Shouldn't it be a lightning skill that can kill COMPLETELY alone...

You know, when playing single player, I cannot relay on some barb or pala to finish that Fire Immune Ice Immune Magic Resistant Boss...

And I'm sure I would pretty much dislike to just have to start a new game everytime that happens :blink:

But Thanx, that was some inspiration here...

CU Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Fragbait,May 12 2003, 05:34 AM Wrote:As to what concerns the tertiary skill - Shouldn't it be a lightning skill that can kill COMPLETELY alone...
Well, there's always the standard Thunderstorm. A good "cast and forget" spell. But there are some drawbacks:

*Targets single monsters
*Can activate and spark the oh so lovable LEBs
*Almost all sorcs use it ;)

You can go with either plain Nova or even Chain Lightning. With the majority of your points into Frost Nova and Fire Wall/Meteor/Fire mastery, the damage isn't going to be as high as you would like it. I would suggest Nova since that relies on fast cast. CL, as of v1.09, relies on your attack speed. But it was mentioned somewhere here that CL will switch over to cast speed with the arrival of v1.10. So you might want to take that into consideration.

Quote:You know, when playing single player, I cannot relay on some barb or pala to finish that Fire Immune Ice Immune Magic Resistant Boss...
You can always get a merc with an elemental weapon... ;)
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
If I'm not mistaken, TS is a lvl 30 spell.
As I have said before, I don't want my built to use these.. (I'm not quite sure about the masteries though).
Since I was actually searching for a spell to co-operate with FN and Met, I hadn't thought of Nova, since it would, in first place, replace FN as a 'fast caster'.
What comes to my mind now:
If I just use my tertiary skill to finish off the Fire/Ice Immunies, Why shouldn't it replace FN?

But, you know, it's all about style, fun to play and versatility(?), isn't it?
If I have a second skill, that looks like FN and works like FN, just does lightning dam and more of it instead chilling, that might get boring soon, don't ya think? <_<

On the other hand, my sorc would benefit much more from her Mana+Fast Cast Gear... :blink:

I don't seem to have made my decision yet..
Hm. Is lighning casting speed itself also currently (speaking of 1.09d) determined by the weapon you wear or by your fast cast gear(FCG)? :huh:
Would be a stylish option. And doesn't set off LEBs if I don't want it to... ===>Chain Lightning, TS, Nova, Charged Bolt.

Seems pretty interesting to me. Anyone who knows the damage potential of Lightning, say lvl 12 with LM, say lvl 6?`

Thanks everyone, btw. One should thank his advisors from time to time... :D

CU, Fragbait

EDIT: Typo-God seems to hate me today. Oh well...

- Bruce Lee

Actually TS is level 24 ^_^

But I'd go for plain lightning. I mean, you WILL be original. ;)

My blazing sorcie uses Charged Bolt as secondary. I did drop a couple of points into TS, I like the "fire and forget" a lot.
Accidents happen. :D

But seriously, it simply means no fun to me to cast a spell without actually targeting it ->TS.

Now you'll say: BUT FN, BUT NOVA!!!

I disagree on that. You have to run to get the monsters into the spellradius of these spells.

Imagine: You can beat e.g. Izual by simply putting TS on and then going (running won't help much as your stamina decreases and he will cast FN anyway) around, occasionally recasting your TS, refill your belt and let your self-repair items repair themselves while you wait for him to die... :blink:

That's not FUN to me...

Oh well - everyone as he likes ;)

PS: Lightning will be very cool :D :D

- Bruce Lee

Quote:Imagine: You can beat e.g. Izual by simply putting TS on and then going (running won't help much as your stamina decreases and he will cast FN anyway) around, occasionally recasting your TS, refill your belt and let your self-repair items repair themselves while you wait for him to die...&nbsp;

That's not FUN to me...

But I like my all-passive sorceress! Cast TS, Hydras, Chilling Armour, tanking done by a helpful mercenary, and off you go. It requires so little interaction I can read the LL forums while at it :lol:

[edit]Damn typos! *Squish*
Fragbait,May 13 2003, 01:06 AM Wrote:I don't seem to have made my decision yet..
Hm. Is lighning casting speed itself also currently (speaking of 1.09d) determined by the weapon you wear or by your fast cast gear(FCG)? :huh:
Weapon speed.

Quote:Would be a stylish option. And doesn't set off LEBs if I don't want it to... ===>Chain Lightning, TS, Nova, Charged Bolt.
Er, don't know what you mean here. About the only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't spark LEBs is Smite.

Quote:Seems pretty interesting to me. Anyone who knows the damage potential of Lightning, say lvl 12 with LM, say lvl 6?
From Chippydip's skill info page, 2-302.

I vote for CL. Gotta love the higher max damage and the potential to take out more than one monster at a time. Plus, it looks cool! :)
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Quote:Weapon speed.

Bad luck.

Quote:QUOTE
Would be a stylish option. And doesn't set off LEBs if I don't want it to... ===>Chain Lightning, TS, Nova, Charged Bolt.

Er, don't know what you mean here. About the only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't spark LEBs is Smite.

I meant that if I don't aim at a LEB, I probably won't hit a LEB, unlike with CS, TS,Nova and Charged Bolt, which has a somewhat random way of sparking.

Quote:QUOTE
Seems pretty interesting to me. Anyone who knows the damage potential of Lightning, say lvl 12 with LM, say lvl 6?

From Chippydip's skill info page, 2-302.

Thank you very much indeed.

Quote:I vote for CL. Gotta love the higher max damage and the potential to take out more than one monster at a time. Plus, it looks cool!
Post Settings

In fact, I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do... But I have time. She's only lvl 14 now, my little Blackjade, and entering Kurast...

Thank you. What you told me helped me a lot. -->Striker

CU, Fragbait

EDIT: with lvl 14, it's of course Lut Golein that she is embarking, not Kurast. Oops.

EDIT2: She's lvl 29 now, and lvl 23 Frost Nova rocks! 68-70 cold damage and chill duration: 30 seconds make my life easy.
Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to this. I'm looking forward to Meteor (only on a staff by now)...

EDIT3: She's lvl 37 now, FN (still lvl 23) is sufficient for chilling nightmare monsters and finishing crowds, my Act 5 Merc and Meteor do the rest...

- Bruce Lee

Quote:About the only thing that I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't spark LEBs is Smite.
Hurricane is save to use, too.
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining, or testing your
code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
If you take a Holy Freeze Merc with you and level him up, Holy Freeze does a decent job of keeping the monsters slowed down so that they stay in the Firewall a bit longer.

I would suggest: Firewall, Chain Lightning, and Frost Nova, and a Holy Freeze merc. Any merc can clump monsters together, an action which enables Firewall to do its thing.

Your character, your call, my 2 lire. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Although this might be true, I think i'll go with meteor this time.

I truly disliked this spell, and I think it will be fun for me to play it, because it's gonna be hard - I am simply not able to do the forecasting right.
I don't know exactly where the monsters go, so I don't hit to well - seems like I've got something to work on....

====> fun for me :lol: :lol:

Thanks anyway, I think you're called Occhi..

PS: How many of you lurkers (=experienced Diablo Players) are women? What would you guess...

CU, Fragbait

EDIT: deleted most typos (I hope so)

- Bruce Lee

.. nobody wants to answer, I speak to myself :D :
I think there are more women in here than one would guess at first glance...

'Lemme see that.. Aye! Aye.. it is as I believed. Gimme a moment... Ach. Here you are.' - Griswold the Blacksmith

I'd say about 30 percent. With a total of 620 lurkers, that is 186 (?) women. Pretty much for a computer game. How nice !!

What would you guess?

Do I have to make a poll to get results???

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee

I think a new discussion thread in the Lounge about genders and gaming would be pretty neat. :)

(One of the 186.)
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
OK. I'm heading over to the lounge...

- Bruce Lee