I realise this may be out of your control
Is it possible to have a center tag available for use in signatures and posts?
I certainly can't see one available and it could make a nice addition with very little possibility for silly people to abuse it. (my apologies if there is one, but I have triple checked).

-Bob

p.s. what is the LLtiquete for signature image size? (not 'physical' size, computer size, i.e. in Kilobytes)

edit: why do typos only show up *after* you've clicked 'submit post'? :angry:

edit 2: Elric seems keen for us all to use a threaded view, might I therefore suggest that the forum default is changed to reflect that, so that those using 'default' will get what is recommended by the forum admin(s?). Also, is there a way to do threaded a bit like the way the old LL used to work? where it shows all the posts text, but threaded? (indenting the various levels a bit) It's very tedious to have to click on each post to read it, particularly if one doesn't like having to use the mouse, or scroll through x many options with the tab key to do it will the keyboard.
Hi,

edit: why do typos only show up *after* you've clicked 'submit post'?

Because that's the way the "auto-typo" function of your OS was written.

What? You've never heard of the auto-typo function? It is an undocumented (even denied) "feature" of all OSes. It causes your perfect input to develop arbitrary but plausible typos, grammatic errors, spelling errors, and often just inane statements just as you hit the "submit", "sent", or "post" button. Advanced versions interact with word processors and text editors, usually using the "save" command as a hook. The gnu *nix freeware version, as usual, improves on the commercial versions, making many of the typos in the form of the most embarrassing Freudian slips possible given the intended audience.

The "auto-typo" function is part of the Murphy package, the only know working example of AI to date.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

The "auto-typo" function is part of the Murphy package, the only know working example of AI to date.

It strikes!
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Hail Bob,

I cannot see how centring could be an abuse ;) I would imagine adding a centre tag would require a little messing with the code: I am not sure if Bolty is prepared to do that or not though - there's potential to knock the Lounge out for a while if a mistake is made.

From the forum rules:
Quote:Keep your pictures small.
For the sake of the dial-up modem users out there, please limit the maximum size of your pictures used in signatures and avatars to 30 kilobytes. Understandably, if you're posting a game screenshot it could be large; however, when you put large pictures in your signature you are continually slowing down everyone who loads threads with your posts in them.

Typos also show up if you hit preview, but those of us who suffer from BTD* are immune to such preventative meassures ;)

The forum default is unlikely to change as the forum default is the way these fora were supposed to work, however when you get threads like we do here, if you do not have a threaded view, it's impossible to keep up with the multitude of discussions. As for returning to the old-style threaded... we hope to one day. Currently it is impossible, but if we ever can get the old style back, we will :)

* Bad Typist's Disease
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Yes, I would love a return to the old-style threaded view, that was so wonderful. And look, no tpyos! :P
WWBBD?
I've been poking at getting threaded view back to the way it was, but I haven't had time to touch it since March....

I have made some progress and there is a thread that I posted updates in, and I should have time again next week to start up on it again, but I will have to go back an retrace a lot of what I did (thankfully I comment as I go...) It takes changes to a few files to get it to work right, and I find that I have to fix a couple of problems with the current view. It might be a bigger issue than I first thought to have it work like it does now or show all the posts. On a long thread (since you lose pagination with threaded view) not being able to view the way threaded currently works would be a major pain.

Last time I checked with that author of the current thread hack he didn't have any time to wrok on it either.

Bolty could actually change the defualts, on a forum by forum basis (there is not global board setting for it) so that it would use threaded view as default. I believe he stated in the past why he didn't want to do that, but I don't recall.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Threading like that would be exquisite. As it stands, I have to do the threading mentally and only pull up the threaded view when there's an ambiguity as to who is addressing whom. One nice touch for linear view would be something along the lines of "re: Poster X" so threaded view wouldn't have to be accessed for that information. (I got used to that on UBBthreads, which in every other way sucks compared to this board software.)

edit: I just thought of another nice feature that vBulletin uses: make edits within, say, the first minute not put the 'edited' line on the post. That way, doing things like correcting a grammatical mistake that slipped through preview wouldn't tag on another line to the post.
All language designers are arrogant. Goes with the territory... - Larry Wall