More Excitement
I just started playing D2 again after a couple month vacation from it. As a single player, I find that when I get the oppurtunity to download a patch, Blizzard likes to make it so single players can't get any good stuff. I am currently looking for an item drop mod that increases my chance to get (good) rares, sets, and uniques. Know of any?

I would also like to get a mod that changes some of the game things, like making Rabies last longer/contagious like Jonathon Spectre described. But with 1.10 comeing, I hope that Blizzard changes those things.

Come to think about it, being able to hire a merc from each act and simulate a party would be great.
I suggest that you go to http://d2mods.xfernet.com and read up on modmaking.

The changes that you are looking for are very easy to accomplish, and you'll probably take more pride over playing something that you modded yourself. It might take a little time to understand how to use the tools that are needed, but after that it's a piece of cake. I warn you though, once you start modding it's hard to stop, and you'll probably never want to play Vanilla LoD again. :)

EDIT: I'm not sure about getting multiple mercs, and I'm pretty sure you won't be able to make rabies "contagious," but there are SO many things you can do. If you've never played a mod before, I suggest you try out one of the hosted mods on said site, you won't be disappointed.
I don't host my mod there, for a variety of reasons. Maybe someday I will. For now, I won't. :D

Although the current incarnation is broken (1.10 and onwards), it's an overall solid mod. It is geared 100% towards balance, with inclusion of new things that Blizzard dropped the ball on (Crafting, Rune Words), or just things that I felt they did poorly on, as a secondary goal (at best). The best way to play it is to forget EVERYTHING you know about Diablo II, and just play. You'll find your way. The game itself is the same, it's just everything you've come to know as "the way to play" is no longer "the way to play". ;)

To address the issue of it being "broken": currently, drops are screwed. I mean totally, off-the-wall screwed. Too many "good" items drop, throwing the rest out the window. The good news is, you'll get plenty of cash from this. Going hand in hand with that, Gambling will be your best friend. Not only is it actually feasible to get Sets and Uniques, but Rares will become your new best friend. The bad news is, you won't "find" much good stuff, in terms of weapons and armor. Rings, Amulets, Charms, and Gems will be pouring out of every orifice in your body, however. I've been working on a fix since 1.10 (up to Beta 3 internally on 1.11), and have not yet found a solution. I will though, even if it means undoing the drop changes (won't affect much; just means I have to live with Blizzard's settings ;)). There are no NEW broken skills, or anything of that nature. I couldn't fix much that Blizzard broke (like Assassin skills), but I fixed what I could. Balance takes on a whole new meaning in the mod. ;)

Some of the biggest highlights (as of 1.11 Beta 3, not yet release):
- Completely redone Character Skills.
- Completely redone Experience table.
- Completely redone Hireling stats (1.11).
- Completely redone Prefix & Suffix attribute tables.
- Monster Attack Rating cut in half.
- Modified % chance to get a Magical / Rare / Set / Unique to 85% / 10% / 4% / 1%.
- Added new Class-Specific items for Paladins, Barbarians, Assassins, and Necromancers (Necromancer items only in 1.11).
- Added new Rune Words (1.11).
- Added new Crafting recipes.
- Increased the size of the Stash.
- Portal to the Cow Level can now be opened multiple times.

You can get the mod, in all its incarnations (except the latest internal build; releasing of internal builds is a new occurrence as of 1.11 and onward; once I make sufficient enough changes, I release a "Beta" build for player testing) at the following address:
http://www.diablosc.com/hosted_files/dark_tower/

There is a Diablo II Lord of Destruction mod (1.09d), as well as a Diablo mod (1.07). Check them out if you feel so inclined. They may be just what you're looking for. ;)

(Shameless plug: If you want some fun, try an Elemental Druid. You won't be disappointed. ;))
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Thanks! I'll try my hand at makeing a mod, and give 1.10 out for a spin!

Any recommendations for overhaul mods? Baldur's Gate?
...drop me a line. :) I won't hold your hand through the whole ordeal, but I can certainly get you started. It's actually quite easy, once you know what you're doing. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I don't know what I'm doing. The most modding I've done was with Wes Weimer on the Icewind Gate 2 project, and I was just a tester.