Ethereal Merc?
A while ago, I was playing with my sword barb, who uses a might merc, and had something very strange go on. The merc was not being targetted by the monster AI at all, nor was he being hit with magic from any enemy, including Baal. The only thing that was able to hurt him was Iron Maiden damage in the Chaos Sanctuary, which he only got because he was next to me when it happened. However, he was fully functional, his aura worked and gave me the damage bonus, and he could hit enemies while they attacked me, but even after he attacked them, they wouldn't target him at all. I have absolutely no idea what was going on, but figure (hope) someone here might.

The entire thing happened pretty much like this (as best I can recall):
-Started a new game on Nightmare difficulty, merc was dead from my last Baal run.
-Played through to the "Kill Baal's Minions" part of the game and revived him, I forgot when though. Might have been between Ventor and Listor, or maybe earlier...
-Tried to hit him with Battle Orders a few times but couldn't (I now realize that was an actual bug in the game and may not be particular to this), so I whirlwinded my way through Listor. He lived through this, but I didn't think anything of it since I made pretty quick work of Listor.
-Went down and beat Baal, was a little surprised he lived through it, but just attributed it to luck.
-Decided to do the Cow level, and this is where I really noticed that something was going on. None of the cows would attack him. Ever. Took a few screenshots, which can be seen here: http://www.geocities.com/dof1234lee/d2/merc.htm but I'm not sure if you can really tell anything from them, other than the fact that he's right in the middle of the cows and none of them are attacking (or even facing) him, they're all going after me.
-Once I finished the cow level, I decided to push my luck and went to the Chaos Sanctuary. Sure enough, he wasn't being targetted by anything, Bone Spirits flew past him, Storm Chaser thingies went through him, Doom Knights ignored him. It wasn't until I was in the middle of the area and an Oblivon Knight cast Iron Maiden on me, and subsequently he got it too, that he started taking damage. It wasn't from the enemies though, it was his own damage coming back at him. After quickly going back to town to remove the curse, I went back down and he was still untargetable. A couple minutes later, I was hit with Iron Maiden again, and before I realized it, I was dead, him with me.
-When I resurrected him with Tyrael, he went back to his normal, targetable self.

I'm not sure if it was a glitch when I tried raised him the first time at Quak Kehk, when I tried to hit him with BO, or sometime in the Baal load time, but as far as I can remember this is the only time this has ever happened. I've tried to recreate it several times by killing him, joining a new game, going to baal, raising him and failing to hit him with BO, then going after Baal, but have had no luck.

In case anyone is wondering, he had a Goldskin (brought from D2C over to the xpack), an ethereal Coif of Glory, and a Kelpie Snare on. He was level 55, and somehow had 542/609 health the entire time this was going on.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
This has happened to me recently also. I had fun with my immortal merc too. Everything would just ignore him. Which was fine with me being how nothing hurt my char to begin with.

Next game it was fixed. Oh I was bad little boy for abusing such a bug ^^.