Question about Defense Calculations
Does Defiance affect Stormshield's +x to defense per character level stat? I know that Holy Shield does not, but how about Defiance? I.e. does +y% Enhanced defense from Defiance increase the effect of "+x to defense per character level" or not?

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
A 488 def Herald of Zakarum in comparison with a 505 def Stormshield (affected def via character level).

Even with the loss of 2 adders from the HoZ, the Stormshield still displayed higher defense totals (50, give or take). That's taking into account that my Defiance dropped from 130% (slvl 7) to 110% (slvl 5) with the HoZ's absence.

Given that the "+x to defense per chracter level" adds a whopping 371 on my paladin, my hesitant conclusion would be that Defiance does indeed capitalize on this affix.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Thanks for the test. Strange that the two shields have almost the same defense, but the defense totals with the stormshield were that much higher. Noting that Defiance was 20 % lower with Stormshield, I would have expected that the total defense with Stormshield had been lower. <_<

Can you give your pally's dexterity, item defenses, and exact total defenses with the both shields so that I could try to figure what's going on? Did the character screen update the loss of +2 to skills correctly? Note that the character screen does not update correctly on occasions, especially when you change items or lose skill bonuses. You can force it to update by changing auras.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign

Hail Tommi,

I do not have a Stormshield with which to test this, however I do know that Defiance goes off your final DR (which I consider a bug myself), so I would imagine it would take that bonus into its calculations too.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Apologies for that, Tommi... I was doing the testing in a hurry, and didn't allow for the game's readjustment period after the loss of the skill adders. :blink:

Here's the skinny:

Defense numbers:
Helm -- 217
Armor -- 819
Gloves -- 83
Boots -- 158
Belt -- 75
Subtotal: 1352

Herald of Zakarum -- 488
Subtotal: 1840

Paladin Dexterity: 205
LCS Total Defense: 1891 (no aura)

LCS Total Defense (slvl 7 Defiance 130%): 4349

Storm Shield -- 516 defense (+371 from clvl affix) * borrows a compatriot's SS because of the higher def*

LCS Total Defense with SS: 1919 (no aura)

LCS Total Defense (slvl 7 Defiance 130% *snagged two charms from compatriot to compensate for lost HoZ skill adders*): 4416

Total difference without auras: 28 more defense with Storm Shield
Total difference with slvl 7 130% Defiance: 67 more defense with Stormshield

Which adds up to a 139% gain... *scratches head* :huh:

Anyway... hope that helps.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Thanks for the numbers, Nico.

The Defiance Bonus for HoZ seems to be ok. I.e. 1891 + [1891 * 1.3] = 4349. However, that is not the case with Stormshield: 1919 + [1919 * 1.3] = 4413, not 4416 as the character screen gives. But: 1920 + [1920 * 1.3] = 4416. It seems that we have a hidden +1 modifier here. Could it be due to "+defense per character level" property?

[] indicates rounding down.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur

Dwarf Campaign