Attacker takes damage of x?
I have a question regarding the modifiers:

Attacker takes damage of x
Damage reduced by x

where x is a value (i.e. 2, 4,...15)

What do the numbers mean? Is it a percentage? Or is this value a multiplying/dividing factor?

Example: Lets say a skeleton does 50 points of damage when he hits my character. And I have a shield that says Damage reduced by 4, is he now hitting me with 46 points?

Also, how does the Attacker takes damage of x work.

I have searched for topics relating to this matter but all I get are the stats for items that have these modifiers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Hail Tanthalas,

Actually, as boring as this sounds, they are direct figures: it is exactly as it sounds. When you're attacked, your attacker takes X damage; when you're attacked, the damage is reduced by X. Some examples...

You have Attacker Takes Damage of 5 on. Fallen strikes you, and recieves five (physical?) damage for its efforts. You may get a free kill, if you're lucky ;)

You have Damage Reduced by 30. Arnie Fallenegger strikes you and rolls 100 damage; damage is reduced by 30, so you recieve 70 damage.

Nothing overly exciting really :\ Perhaps worth noting that direct damage reduction comes *after* percentage reduction (eg Shaftstop) :)
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
As far as I know:

"Damage reduced by x" (and x being a plain number) it does just that, it reduces incoming (physical) attack's damage by the number listed.

(in contrast to damage reduced by x% which acts like a physical resistance)
Worth traking note in this context is the order of which damage is affected by those affixes:
[well, according to elric the order below is not true for phys attacks (see his post above) and I am sort of willing to trust him on that one ;) ]
first: plain reduction (damage reduced by x (phys) and magic damage reduced by x (elemental and magic))
second: resistance (damage reduced by x% (phys) and resist fire/coldghtning/poison x%)

"Attacker takes damage of x" on the other hand triggers a form of an attack from your character on the monster hitting you (does not work against ranged attacks) which is in turn affected by monsters resistance.
It can (simplified) be seen as an effect like the paladins "thorns" aura not taking into account how much damage an attacker does.

Hope this helps :)

edit: ok, ok I am just too slow typing....elric beat me by 3 minutes.....
I am not trying to post like a Wanker but my english has a pretty strong krautish influence.

Feel free to flame the content but give me some slack on spelling an grammar, thanks Smile

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Elric of Grans,May 16 2003, 06:31 PM Wrote:Nothing overly exciting really :\ Perhaps worth noting that direct damage reduction comes *after* percentage reduction (eg Shaftstop) :)
Percentage damage reduction is actually a physical resistance rating. The direct damage reductions are taken before the resistances are factored in, not after. You have them reversed Elric.

http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/damagereduction.html
Hail Ruvanal,

I must have been remembering it backwards. I knew the order had been changed, but I thought it used to be (M)DR then Resistance, and now the other way around. Oh well, no biggie: I'll remember it right next time ;)
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE. MY QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED
Quote:10) Please do not make your title in ALL CAPS, or even worse your entire message. This is the equivilent to shouting, and many of us have sensitive ears.
It is indeed MDR then Resistance

Damage reduced by X works differently

Tommi's site explains all, linked to in Ruvunal's post
Quote:Tommi's Site (Damage Modification Mechanisms):

From Section 2.3

Step #2: Apply all reduction effects, except Cold Mastery --> subtract their effects from the result

Step #3: Apply cold mastery --> multiply the result by 1 - Cold Mastery % / 100 and round down (only with cold resistance)

Should I interpret that to mean that Cold Mastery actually reduces cold damage if the target had negative cold resistance after step #2?
Zath,May 17 2003, 08:55 AM Wrote:
Quote:Tommi's Site (Damage Modification Mechanisms):

From Section 2.3

Step #2: Apply all reduction effects, except Cold Mastery --> subtract their effects from the result

Step #3: Apply cold mastery --> multiply the result by 1 - Cold Mastery % / 100 and round down (only with cold resistance)

Should I interpret that to mean that Cold Mastery actually reduces cold damage if the target had negative cold resistance after step #2?
Yes, that's my understanding. I asked people how it works in this thread, and copied the result of the discussion to the page. Technically, the resistance is not negative at the step 3, since the difficulty penalty is not taken into account until the step 4.

Cheers,

Tommi
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
I was thinking of Conviction, Lower Resistance, and the -X% cold resistance items in the upcoming patch mainly. It looks like a Paladin/Necromancer teamed up with a Sorceress may want to consider using some other skill combinations in light of this.
Hail Elric,

After reading and re-reading your post, my question is:

Does the attacker receive the damage that you deal with your 'attacker takes damage of X' - items before he deals damage to you or afterwards?
Because if it is before, it might be possible to kill most monsters (with some exceptions like bosses) without ever hitting them and without ever losing health... With the right equipment of course.
If you get, let's say 'Attacker takes Damage Of 1000' on all your items(might this be possible? that's for s.o. else to figure out), you will even want to have no shield and no weapon blocking with an assassin, so that the attacker gets his damage everytime...

Just a weird idea.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
.. I added all 'attacker takes damage of x' modifiers that can spawn together and ended up with some 380 damage. Not too deadly, especially in Hell.

Note: this is no exact value. Feel free to correct me/ do further calculations. The result might just be around 'my' value. ;)

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.