I Beat King Leoric ...BUT
First of all, maybe you should only post 1 at a time and wait for a reply instead of quadrupel posting. Anyways, I like Wirt, he's the best, he's the only one who sells strange stuff which rocks! I also bought lots of stuff from him (Gold doesn't matter in multiplayer) Including a KSOH :)
!!SaLtMaN!!,May 2 Wrote:First of all, maybe you should only post 1 at a time and wait for a reply instead of quadrupel posting. Anyways, I like Wirt, he's the best, he's the only one who sells strange stuff which rocks! I also bought lots of stuff from him (Gold doesn't matter in multiplayer) Including a KSOH :)
Say what...quadrupel posting.?.?.? What do you mean by that. I only have 2 threads, One on the Butcher and this one. After reading everyones comments I decided to make a remark on each one because I appreciate all the input and support, there really is a good group of fellow players here.

But I havnt asked any "new" questions without reciving a previous answer, and if it may appear to be that way somewhere(?) then it was because me and "whomever" must have been submitting a reply at the same time.

As for Wirt I will see if my opinion changes as I progress in the game, but so far he has done nothing but collected gold from me, 50 peices at a time...little bugger :angry:
Say what...quadrupel posting.?.?.?

I haven't noticed anything spammish in your posting habits. Ignore Saltman. ;)

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Greetings Merciless!

Not sure whether you are aware of this, in single player games, you can safely "store" all your extra items in town, no body is going to steal them. :) Well, you can "store" up to the limit, which IIRC, is 256, when you reach that, you won't be able to drop any more item until you pick one up. So, if you are uncertain about the usefulness of an item, and you are not short of cash, just leave it in town, who knows, it may come in handy. ;)

Enjoy!
- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
SoulEdge,May 23 2003, 03:45 PM Wrote:Greetings Merciless!

Not sure whether you are aware of this, in single player games, you can safely "store" all your extra items in town, no body is going to steal them.    :)  Well, you can "store" up to the limit, which IIRC, is 256, when you reach that, you won't be able to drop any more item until you pick one up. So, if you are uncertain about the usefulness of an item, and you are not short of cash, just leave it in town, who knows, it may come in handy.  ;)

Enjoy!
Ahhh....never thought of doing that!

BIG HELP! where do I store them...should I just drop/store them at any random place or is there a paticular designation for this option?

Either way that is a major help ;) ....Thank you
In a single player game, wherever you leave an item is where it stays. So if you leave something behind on dungeon level 1, it's location will be remembered in the save file. So the place to store them is someplace convenient: some spot that know you will be heading to frequently anyway. So most people will drop some of their items around the well in town, by Cain. But unless you see some reason you might eventually use an item, you may as well just sell it. A single player character can always find plenty of things to spend gold on.

FWIW, I think the item limit for any level (including town) is 128, not 256. It usually isn't something that you need to worry about, though.
I usually leave them next to the town portal place. That's a real handy place if you ask me.
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
You think you're addicted now, wait until you get into the multiplayer portion of the game. I spent many many long days playing Diablo over the net with my DSF buddies. There were occassions where I would litterally play the game for 24 hours straight, not to mention being up until at LEAST 3am every night of the summer playing D1.

-Ryethe

P.S If you really hate Wirt be sure to check out northern Tristram in D2 when you are finished with D1 :)
The government makes paper airplanes out of our lives and files us out the windows. (Obasan)
And I don't care WHO thinks it's a spoiler, I think every newbie deserves this warning!

When you start to get deeper in the dungeon, you may see zombies that are a vivid, bright yellow in color, called "Black Death"s. DO NOT LET THEM HIT YOU! Every single time a Black Death damages you in combat, you permanently lose 1 life point, and you can never, ever gain it back! You can gain more, but you'll never reach the full amount a normal character would. Personally, I find this feature to be pretty deadly, and I think every new player deserves to be warned.

When you encounter Black Deaths (BD's for short), either kill them at a range, or use the shift button to stand still, then swing at them with a blunt weapon as they approach (this is risky!); if you hit them as they move into range, you'll knock them back before they strike. If you decide to attempt this, *remember to hold shift*! Many Warriors prefer merely to avoid BD's completely, but in Single Player this might not be an option.

Best of luck, and if you use AIM you can ask further questions at AIM screen name LordKasreyn (which is me =P).

-Kasreyn
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Holy Cow! This is why everyone is afraid of them! :ph34r: Stupid black deaths!

And about item storage, I usually keep the best plus to magic items I can find, so I can read spell books. :P
Hi,

The BDs and the FOS shrines aren't that much of a problem in single player since your character will (most likely) never get above level 25 or so and the monsters are wimps. So, you don't need full power to complete (and, yes, I consider the SP game "completable" as opposed to the MP game which is open ended) the game. And since the character is a "one shot", the fact that the character is not "perfect" does not really matter.

Heck, the names escape me, but IIRC there were people who played characters that had lost stats to BDs and FOS up to level 50. It's more of an aesthetic consideration.

However, I do agree that both BDs and FOS were a poor "feature". Had they taken points from vitality and magic, they would have been better.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

The original "Nystul" character was short about 10 mana and 1-2 life. He was my second or third character, and thus the transition where I started really learning the details of the game happened while he was in progress. If not for Jarulf's Guide, I would have never even noticed that he had actually lost the stats; they sure seem insignificant when using mana shield with 1000+ mana!

Of course, he never made it to level 50. But he made it closer than any of my other characters have.
Quote:in single player since your character will (most likely) never get above level 25
That's only if you were like me before I knew about playing in nightmare/hell will single player. :P
But I do agree the monsters are wimps once you get used to it. Except that butcher if you can't get behind a grating. :D
Kasreyn,May 24 2003, 02:21 PM Wrote:And I don't care WHO thinks it's a spoiler, I think every newbie deserves this warning!

When you start to get deeper in the dungeon, you may see zombies that are a vivid, bright yellow in color, called "Black Death"s.  DO NOT LET THEM HIT YOU!  Every single time a Black Death damages you in combat, you permanently lose 1 life point, and you can never, ever gain it back!  You can gain more, but you'll never reach the full amount a normal character would.  Personally, I find this feature to be pretty deadly, and I think every new player deserves to be warned.

When you encounter Black Deaths (BD's for short), either kill them at a range, or use the shift button to stand still, then swing at them with a blunt weapon as they approach (this is risky!); if you hit them as they move into range, you'll knock them back before they strike.  If you decide to attempt this, *remember to hold shift*!  Many Warriors prefer merely to avoid BD's completely, but in Single Player this might not be an option.

Best of luck, and if you use AIM you can ask further questions at AIM screen name LordKasreyn (which is me =P).

-Kasreyn
Thanks for the heads up.

and no that's not a spoiler, rather the kind of helpful input that I am looking for ;)

Thank you
Ryethe,May 24 2003, 02:11 AM Wrote:You think you're addicted now, wait until you get into the multiplayer portion of the game.  I spent many many long days playing Diablo over the net with my DSF buddies.  There were occassions where I would litterally play the game for 24 hours straight, not to mention being up until at LEAST 3am every night of the summer playing D1.

-Ryethe

P.S If you really hate Wirt be sure to check out northern Tristram in D2 when you are finished with D1 :)
Now THAT"S EXTREME!

you probably looked like this[ :blink: ] buy the time you decided to shut off your computer.

:lol: lol
Pete,May 24 2003, 03:23 PM Wrote:Hi,

The BDs and the FOS shrines aren't  that much of a problem in single player since your character will (most likely) never get above level 25 or so and the monsters are wimps.  So, you don't need full power to complete (and, yes, I consider the SP game "completable" as opposed to the MP game which is open ended) the game.  And since the character is a "one shot", the fact that the character is not "perfect" does not really matter.

Heck, the names escape me, but IIRC there were people who played characters that had lost stats to BDs and FOS up to level 50.  It's more of an aesthetic consideration.

However, I do agree that both BDs and FOS were a poor "feature".  Had they taken points from vitality and magic, they would have been better.

--Pete
I can understand that in MP the game is open ended, but as for SP is there any final closure to this game?

You say that I will most likely not pass level '25', but you mention that some have went as far a s level '50'.

Does the came not have a conventional ending where you beat the last 'boss' and the game is finished?
The final boss is Diablo, the Lord of Terror. When you find him, he'll appear with the name "The Dark Lord" visible on him, but it's Diablo all right.

When you beat Diablo (or, as we affectionately call the big pink bastard, "D"), the game you're playing ends, and you get a neato movie. However, you can then create new games with the same character to get more experience and loot!

The only problem is, in Single Player, you can only play on Normal difficulty (you won't even see a difficulty selection screen). Normal difficulty is all well and good, but when you get to around level 26-28, the experience gains from killing things in Normal/Hell get very small. The experience gains are so slow it would take a ridiculous amount of time to get to level 40, and that is the absolute limit in Normal difficulty.

If you want to advance into the character level 30's, you'll need to create a multiplayer character. If you want to play alone, just create null modem games and don't invite anyone to join. I recommend this before you venture onto Battle.net; on Bnet you'll have to deal with a lot of strange and dangerous people, and it's best to have a good grounding in the actual game first. Besides, anything below level 20 is usually considered "low" level, and you're not considered high level until you reach your 40's. Of course, the higher difficulty levels provide added challenge for such powerful characters. Give it a try!

Good luck,

-Kasreyn
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Hi,

As to single player, in a sense, the game ends when you kill Diablo. You can repeat that on the normal and nightmare level. Since, in single player, you have to work your way down through the whole dungeon to get to Diablo, doing it a second time at the same difficulty is pretty well a waste of time. Especially since you are getting stronger all the time and the monsters on a given difficulty stay the same. Once you've done it on each difficulty with each character one time, there isn't a whole lot left worth doing.

And, really, except as a stunt, it isn't worth playing SP past normal (where you'll finish the game at level 25 give or take one). If you do do all three difficulties you'll end up around 37 (thanks to no XP cap). You could take a SP character to level 50, but it hardly seems worth the effort.

In multi, OTOH, there are a lot of reasons to play in addition to killing Diablo. And all the openings to the Dungeon are open when you enter the game. Thus, playing multi is a lot more open ended. Even if a level 50 character isn't your goal, you could get one just from playing with friends, etc.

Sp, you see the level 25 to go through the SP game and the level 50 you can get to are two very different things. One is a reasonable stopping point for SP, the other is the absolute max for both SP and MP, but only really makes sense getting to in MP.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?