Beating the Butcher?
Greetings.

I am new to this board and to Diablo. I have just made it to the butcher but dont have a clue how to beat him. He wont give me a chance to do much of anything because he just keeps HACKING at me and I die. :o

I am trying to cast firebolts at him but my defense doesnt seem to be working all that well while I take a moment to cast that spell. Also I dont know what type of weapon is best suited for attacking him, my reaction time seems to be hyper and inacurate while trying to slash him and cast an accurate firebolt at the same time.

> What do I have to do in order to beat him?

If you need more info like my stats and such I will post it if necessaray.

Thanks
I'll assume you are a mage. What you could do, before locating the butcher, is find the stairs to lvl3. Then, find the butcher, open his door, and run towards the lvl3 stairs. Make him chase you around the stairs. There is a point where he will get stuck in the stairs to lvl3. At that time, you fire away. Or buy a few scrolls of firewall and cast it on him while he is stuck there. Also, you could open the door, cast firewall just inside parallel to the wall, as close to the door as possible, then close the door.

For more strats + details, you can go to Freshman Diablo: http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/diablo.shtml
Click on Butcher Bashing 101 (http://www.arewehavingfunyet.com/diablo/butcher.txt)
Actually Im a warrior. Thank you for the help....much needed.

I sooo needed that link that you posted, It is going to come in extremely handy. I am about as fresh as a freshman can get lol.

I will let you know once I destroy him
The butcher is DEAD.

I did as you suggested and got him to stay still in the level 3 entrance...then I hailed a bunch of Firebolts at him...about 10 full mana's worth, then I decided to attack him head on...hack for hack, chop for chop till I killed him.

I am now at the next Boss, King Leoric. I saved the game and will take a brake for a while then ATTEMPT to destroy him <_<

Thanks!
Wait...you're a warrior and you used firebolt? :)

Just a thing, warriors are strongest in melee, then archery (bows),then magic (spells). To take out the butcher, you could have used a bow instead of the firebolts, and saved yourself some time and cash.

Also, use a blunt weapon, ie mace/club/spike club/morning star/flail/war hammer against skeletons, as it doubles the damage you do, and "sharp" weapons against animals as it doubles the damage you do to them.

One more hint, try to max your Dexterity reasonably early, as it gives you to hit, so you can hit monsters, blocking chance, and also more armour class, so they can't hit you as often:)
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
Draconis,May 17 2003, 04:38 PM Wrote:...try to max your Dexterity reasonably early...
YES! Do this. It helps :)
I'd say put everything into Dex until it is maxed out, unless you need to pump some points into magic for holy bolt and firewall. But don't pump magic to more than 30. Once Dex is maxed, you can distribute the rest as you like. That's just my opinion :)

Also, a note about Leoric: he can open doors. That is all.
Blunt weapons don't double the damage.. they 1.5x the damage.. :)

Leoric-bashing were a hot subject in many Iron-Man posts on the DSF and other forums. A warrior needs high dex, and a good blunt weapon to stand a chance.

IIRC, Charis had a post about the required conditions that had to be met to actually have a theoretical chance against Leo.. Tho, after a serious amount of beer, I might be mistaken.

Good luck with that warrior.
You're right Meshuggah, the article Charis wrote is saved at the RBD:

http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/forgecdmeleeleo.html

This is the definite guide to killing Leo in an IM game, but most of the startegies apply to anyway you play Diablo.
-Ell_man
Draconis,May 18 2003, 01:38 AM Wrote:Wait...you're a warrior and you used firebolt? :)
Looks like he's been reading Lemming's guide. ;)
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Draconis,May 17 2003, 11:38 PM Wrote:Wait...you're a warrior and you used firebolt? :)

Just a thing, warriors are strongest in melee, then archery (bows),then magic (spells). To take out the butcher, you could have used a bow instead of the firebolts, and saved yourself some time and cash.

Also, use a blunt weapon, ie mace/club/spike club/morning star/flail/war hammer against skeletons, as it doubles the damage you do, and "sharp" weapons against animals as it doubles the damage you do to them.

One more hint, try to max your Dexterity reasonably early, as it gives you to hit, so you can hit monsters, blocking chance, and also more armour class, so they can't hit you as often:)
I tried using my short bow after I pelted him with like 4 man's worth of firebolts but it didnt seem to be that effective, I did that for what seemed to be 10 minutes and he didnt die, so I assumed that they were doing minimal damage.

Thanks for the tip on dexterity, I will do that for shure.

Thanks for the info on the use of weapons, just wondering....when trying to kill those flying bats do you suggest using a "sharp weapon". They seem to get in the way when Im getting attacked by skeletons and zombies.
dfn,May 18 2003, 12:04 AM Wrote:YES! Do this.&nbsp; It helps :)
I'd say put everything into Dex until it is maxed out, unless you need to pump some points into magic for holy bolt and firewall.&nbsp; But don't pump magic to more than 30.&nbsp; Once Dex is maxed, you can distribute the rest as you like.&nbsp; That's just my opinion :)

Also, a note about Leoric: he can open doors.&nbsp; That is all.
Cheers....Will do!!
MERCILESS,May 18 2003, 09:32 PM Wrote:Thanks for the info on the use of weapons, just wondering....when trying to kill those flying bats do you suggest using a "sharp weapon".
By all means. Swords against animals, clubs against undead. You should check Jarulf's Guide on info about which monsters fall under which category.

Ehh, what the hell:
Animals:
  • Fallen ones (monkeys with swords & spears),<>
  • Scavengers (rats),<>
  • Winged fiends (bats),<>
  • Horned demons (rhinos),<>
  • Spitting terrors (dogs that spit acid)<>
    [st]Undead:
    • Zombies,<>
    • Skeletons (all kinds),<>
    • Leoric<>
      [st]Demons:
      • Hiddens (disappearing ones),<>
      • Goats,<>
      • Overlords (fat ones),<>
      • Gargoyles (big flying ones that turn to stone),<>
      • Magma demons (throw fiery stones),<>
      • Storms (they use lightning and have sharp claws),<>
      • Balrogs (inferno users),<>
      • Snakes (vipers and drakes),<>
      • Witches (fire blood stars at you),<>
      • Knights (wield huge swords),<>
      • Mages (they phase around),<>
      • Butcher,<>
      • Diablo<>
        [st]
"My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
-- Ford Prefect
Hey thanks Yogi!!