Using diablo 2 in windowed mode
When I play Diablo 2 in windowed mode, clicking anywhere off the screen makes the Diablo 2 window minimize to the tray. Is there any way to prevent this from happening and keep the Diablo 2 window always maximized? I don't want to play in full screen mode either.

- phranck@nycap.rr.com
no text
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
(This only applies to version 1.09D or 1.09B. Don't try this on any other version unless you know what you're doing. Regardless, make sure to back up your DLL before doing anything.)

You might try hacking your D2GFX.DLL file (back it up first!). If you don't want to do that, perhaps you can talk someone into getting you a hacked copy.

The Phrozen Keep has the various resources to help you do this if you're willing to try.

Assuming you have the ability to hex-edit the DLL, open it, scroll to the following offsets and change the values you find there to the new values specified:

Code:
Offset     Bytes     Change to
4948h     64 06     6A 04
4D47h     64 06     6A 04
4FB6h     64 00     6A 04

I've not tested this myself because I don't run Diablo in windowed mode. However, other hex editing I've done (such as to fix the bug with Barb/Assassin critical hits) works just fine so I see no reason why this won't.

Edit: added version disclaimer.
Thanks for the info, I don't play windowed all the much (though I have to play zookeeper necros in windowed mode or I get dropped to channel frequetly, I don't know why), but firing up UltraEdit and putting in those changes kept the window up when I clicked outside of it. Didn't force it to be always on top, but that isn't an issue, and I don't think I would want it always on top anyway.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
thanks a million smoketest, i'll probably be bugging you again when 1.10 comes out :D
addps4cat,May 25 2003, 02:41 PM Wrote:thanks a million smoketest, i'll probably be bugging you again when 1.10 comes out  :D
I'm glad I could help, but the credit for the info goes to the folks at Phrozen Keep (check their DLL editing section). Between them and Foxbat's D2 Accelerator, I've learned heaps about modding this game and fixing bugs. :D
Uhh...How can i run D2X windowed? is it Mac only feature? i have a really crappy computer, the Fps are 23 max. So running the game Windowed would probably boost my fps nicely...
[Image: 1048873792431.jpeg]
And when he gets to Heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell:
One more Soldier reporting Sir -
I've served my time in Hell
Create a shortcut to the diabloii.exe file (or copy the shortcut that is on your desktop or in your start menu), right click on it and select properties. On the shortcut tab and the end of the target line put a -w at the very end of the line. Use that shortcut to launch the game and it will play in a window.

Edit: Gakerd cleared up my Mac comment so I deleted it.

Also wanted to point out that, if you are just looking for better performance, the windowed mode generally only runs faster because it uses software mode, so if you get better performance in windowed than in full screen, you may just want to change your video settings to software mode and play full screen.
---
Hello. It works for Windows as well.

If you do not already have one, create a shortcut for the game. Then right-click on the shortcut and go to its properties. At the end of the target, type a space and then -w. Here is an example of what it should look like: "C:\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -w

For Mac users, pressing Command+M will switch between full-screen and windowed mode.

Thank you for your time. Farewell.
-scrape
How about them apples? They say they do not fall far from the tree, and that one can spoil the whole bunch. Well I say we may not all be rotten, but we are all spoiled.
degrak.com
degrak youtube
As I mentioned in a post above, the method worked jsut fine for me, but I ran into a problem. When I play in full screen mode I can't alt tab out if using the modified dll. For some this would be a good thing, but for me it sucks (since I don't use the tab or the alt key in game anymore thanks to remapping). There are times I want to alt tab out to do something else.

I run XP with a GeForce 4 Ti video card so I don't know if it is universal or limited to that combo. Just wanted to put it out there that doing this could mess up some full screen stuff if you use that as well.
---