Blades of Ice Killed Cold Immunes
i've been wanting to test this out some time ago. and more can only come. remember in dii.net sin room a few guys claimed that boi & fof explosion xfers claw damage? and heck double claws xfer double claw damage. that sounded like planet pluto stuff to me back then.

but not now.

last night when i *finally* got the chance to test it out... erhm well let me tell you the steps to it.

first i took a phoenix striker to a hell cow game. no i didn't do cows; what'll that prove? no instead i went to bloody foothill. why hell cow? because i wanted the life of monsters to be high. ok we all know there're two types of monsters in hell bfh; the physical immune and cold immune. perfect ground for testing blades of ice.

amplissa was killed sob. no minions were summoned. it was pure solo. i looked at my equipment; no crushing blow. no other ancilliary. good. well actually i'd have preferred to test out these too but doh it was solo remember? and i didn't have other equipments ready on hand.

my boi is at ~slvl 12. so i went to chargeup 3 time on physical immuned. lure some cold immunes to surround myself. then release my boi on the physical immune.

guess what? the cold immunes were damaged. :ph34r:

now this can't be true. maybe the bunch were spoilt-products kicked from qa. alright let's go find another batch. lure cold immunes to surround me. chargeup 3 times on physical immune and release on a different physical immune.

same result. the splash explosion from blades of ice damaged nearby cold immunes. :ph34r:

different game? same result.

range
looking at the terrific graphic depiction by rivo in the barb room, i'm guessing the actual radius of 3rd charged boi is less than range 3. heck i think some monsters in range 2 didn't get affected by the splash explosion. i know some would scream 'desynch~!' but fear not, i waited for at least 10 seconds and seeing the cold immunes hacking me then i released the boi. what is the range of these cold immunes? they can't be more than range 3 yes?

the radius of boi is definitely not round but jagged. well yeah somewhat tile-based like rivo depicted (doh).

other damage types
in the initial few releases, i noticed some cold immunes were green. erhm erh... no i am not color-blind. oops sorry i had forgotten to take out my pestilent sc. so now we know boi xfers poison from charms. someone should go test whether venom skill itself is xferrable unto boi. :P

so i double-checked and took out all other types of damage (except soj's lightning). yes the supposedly pure cold explosion from blades of ice splash-damaged cold immunes all the same.

question!
i'm not really expecting someone to disassemble the entire boi function like what hammerman did for whirlwind ( :P :P :P ) but i do hope at least some technical answers can be highlighted to explain how blades of ice really work.

thanks in advance!

losc
Loschonorg,May 29 2003, 01:25 PM Wrote:i'm not really expecting someone to disassemble the entire boi function like what hammerman did for whirlwind
Nor am I going to try to reassemble your post.

What I will say is that Blades of Ice is heavily bugged. Try this: Get a long poison duration happening on your character, preferably with a very short cold duration by ditching your cold items. Charge up BoI twice and let 'er rip into a pack.

You'll notice several monsters immediately turn green, indicating the skill has added your poison damage to what one would assume was a purely cold skill AoE attack. I'll leave the specifics of what's happening to those who have extensively tested and just close by saying, it looks pretty buggy IMO.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
sorry went out in a hurry. i meant to add these:

is it really claw damage being xferred unto boi's explosion radius?
i don't know. but there was only physical damage type present other than cold from boi skill itself. no fire. soj's lightning damage is too insignificant. no crushing blow. no open wounds. what could have damaged those cold immunes in boi's splash radius?

added: rivo's radius depiction

yep warblade. actually i was to start exploring whether other ancilliary effects are xferred unto boi's explosion but didn't have time. like crushing blow, open wounds, chance-to-cast mods, etc. have you done any lately?

losc
Nothing recent. With 1.10 as close as it is reputed to be, there would seem to be little point in exploring known bugs/features at this time.
WarBlade,May 29 2003, 08:03 AM Wrote:With 1.10 as close as it is reputed to be, there would seem to be little point in exploring known bugs/features at this time.
Firstly if that is your view why are you reading a bug report forum?

Secondly it is very very unlikely that 1.10 will fix all bugs. In fact anything discovered now has almost certainly missed the boat. It is useful to know about the bugs now and it will be quick to check whether they are still there when the patch comes out

Thirdly there is no release date for 1.10, despite all the hype

@ Losc

test Venom with a +Venom claw from Anya please. It would be very interesting if AoE Venom were shown to work

good work!
Brista,Jun 1 2003, 01:41 AM Wrote:Firstly if that is your view why are you reading a bug report forum?
Essentially to gossip about and discuss bugs that are already known. The thing that I can't be bothered doing is 1.09d bug research such as exploring claw damage additions to cold skill AoE in light of the fact that any current bugs may wellbecome obsolete information as soon as it's researched.

Quote:Secondly it is very very unlikely that 1.10 will fix all bugs. In fact anything discovered now has almost certainly missed the boat. It is useful to know about the bugs now and it will be quick to check whether they are still there when the patch comes out

Not "very unlikely" as I see it. With the rules changing as much as they are, I can assume most bug related information of 1.09d will now become obsolete. 1.10 will introduce a whole new set of bugs and oversights.

Quote:Thirdly there is no release date for 1.10, despite all the hype

True. But at least the most convenient measurement for that arbitrary date appears to have switched from "months" to "weeks". :D