Diablo Retail X-cuse me?
Yikes. I was a little turned off by this seemingly legit channel when everytime I have been there someone is always talking about how "gay" something was. But I don't really chat much anyways, and it is better than what you find in DRU-1, so I hung around. Very soon, however, a hell of a lot of misinformation was being thrown about haphazardly, and I was having a difficult time keeping up. Here is some of what I managed to log:

GPoW from 1.01:

<MetaRaptor> I bought a godly/whale full plate from wirt in 1.01 :P
<Jette.> fpm that is
<Jette.> Meta..
<Jette.> You serious?
<MetaRaptor> Yep.. I don't have it anymore though :(
<Jette.> How come?
<MetaRaptor> heh...the mule it was on got corrupted
<MetaRaptor> was stored on a floppy :/
<HaJaRoW> :D
<Jette.> That item is legit... But how do you get it?
<MetaRaptor> I just told you. you could buy godly/whale prior to 1.02
<Jette.> Any version after, its impossible..

I believe his arguement was that there was no price cap, so I tried to tell him even if Wirt could sell it, there is no way to carry enough gold in your inventory even if you didn't leave a 3x2 space for the item (it comes out to be about 370,000 gp). Apparently he claimed to beta test the game as well. I told him about Jarulf's guide, and he said that unless a blizzard rep told him GPoW couldn't be bought he wouldn't believe it. I went on to tell him that even programmers at Blizzard have admitted the DSF (and Jarulf) know more about the game than they do, to which there was no reply. This whole thing got started when he said that you have half the AC when casting spells or walk, and I told him that was not so. Here is Petya and Meta on the "strange" prefix:

<MetasPackMule> strange is only level 40
<Petya> that is bullsh1t [from a previous comment]
<the_Langolier> "strange isn't 60" wow.
<Petya> another jarulf mistake
<Petya> Langolier, it isn't
<Petya> if it was, by Jarulf's standards
<Petya> you couldn't have strange/heavens
<Petya> or strange/haste
<Petya> lol
<the_Langolier> Have you ever purchased a "strange" at clvl 20?
<Petya> they wouldn't come together
<the_Langolier> Yes you can Petya.
<MetasPackMule> langolier. You keep making yourself sound stupider and stupider

Right. *I* am looking stupider and stupider. I quoted the section in the guide stating "If the lower level is greater than 25, set level to 25." which explains items like strange/heavens, but it didn't look like I was getting through. Here Meta claims of, well, you'll see...

<MetaRaptor> Yeah. I had a hydra's ring of wizardry before... but it was on the same mule that went corrupt :(
<MetaRaptor> It was on multi till 1.02.

*Shudder* This was just too much for me. Where do people get this stuff? I tried to explain that hydra's is only available in Hellfire, but it did exist in Diablo's code as a left over. I said that even if it was in Diablo, it can only spawn on staves, but nothing could convince him otherwise. This is where it got interesting. He told me he had a hydra's staff of apocalypse on a mule somewhere, so I was like, "yeah right". Sure enough, however, he produced it. Clearly he is a cheater.

I am just at a loss as to where people get this crap from. If anyone else has been to this channel, see if you can't help spread some knowlege. I felt like a missionary (indeed, even quoting the "bible") trying to reach a non-believer. </rant>

Anyways, ALL of this was brought on about a debate about AC when casting/walking. Although I could relate because I too at one time thought casting affected your AC, I was sure that neither walking nor casting had an effect on your AC. I tried finding anything in J.P.'s guide about it, but didn't see anything. Have I missed it, or is it simply not there because it doesn't happen? I'd like to get some nice sources for when I email Meta and post a topic at this channel's Homepage. Hopefully with logic and some references, I can knock some sense into some of these people.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
>I was sure that neither walking nor casting had an effect on your AC. I tried finding anything in J.P.'s guide about it, but didn't see anything. Have I missed it, or is it simply not there because it doesn't happen?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I guess you can always go to Normal church clad with high AC (shouldn't be too hard for norm church) and go walking around monsters and casting spells (like Hbolt at a Fallen). From my memory, AC isn't affected at all by walking or casting.

Where I can see players getting the wrong impression is, what they think is high AC. I've met people who firmly believes DSC is teh best0st armor for H\Hell, because it's got a whopping 100 AC. Then when they cast heal in the middle of a Balrog pack, or tried walking away from a gang of Knights they get slaughtered. So believing that by casting or walking, it affects AC is plausible for them, since 100 AC must be high. Yet when they cast\walk in H\Hell they still get hit.

Of course that's just from my personal experience, your 'friends' might vary. ;)

>I am just at a loss as to where people get this crap from. If anyone else has been to this channel, see if you can't help spread some knowlege.

Hitting your head against a brick wall might be more productive, since this is what you're up against. At this point it's probably better to give them a link to JG etc, and tell them to have a nice life if they still believe that G0dly splatter of Whale is possible in unmodified, D1 classic.

Besides, if they're that much of a jerk, do you really want them around anyway?
the Langolier,May 30 2003, 06:54 PM Wrote:
<MetasPackMule> strange is only level 40
<the_Langolier> "strange isn't 60" wow.
<Petya> another jarulf mistake
If you see these twits again, tell them to fire up a hex editor and go to offset 79CC8 (Strange's qlvl). They'll see 3C (60), not 28 (40).

The rest is more-or-less mythology that doesn't even need debunking. But if you really want to get their goat, tell them the D1 cow level exists and you "know a guy who's been there." True story. ;)

[o: *LEMMING* :o]
Diablo Retail X is not a good choice if your trying to find "true" legits.

The origional idea behind creating the channel was not bad; however, it didn't take long for the newbs to come along with trading exported items.

In order to stay legit, never trade. I've never trusted anyone more than a purist.

I would like to add though, there are some true legits. But it's like picking a legit out of Diablo Retail USA-1
the Langolier,

I'm fairly certain casting and walking don't affect AC at all.

Of course, both those actions affect blocking tremendously (as in, you won't). This is found both in 2.2.1 and 6.2.3

And I believe all monsters have AT LEAST a 15% autohit value, and it increases by 5% per level starting at level 14 and continuing to 16.

Thus, if even 3 Bloodknights engage you on level 16 and you try to walk past them, they stand a near-100% chance of hitting you as you try. Same thing for casting.

It may seem that your AC has failed you, but in reality it is your blocking that has.

Hope this helped.

Attika