Druid shifter weapon choice
Now something really really obvious has been staring me in the face for ages and I've been too dumb to see it

What weapons do druids use?

2-handed polearms, maces and axes more often than not

Why?

Because they list as very fast or fast when you look at them with a druid, a reflection of the base animation speed when using them with a druid in human form

So why on earth have me and an awful lot of other players been stuck using them since LOD came out when we play shifters?

Grab your Grandfathers, unsheath your Schaeffers and loose the Lightsabres

Unless I've got this completely wrong weapon shape doesn't affect attack speed for shifters

Swords, spears, daggers are all equally viable

Base speeds matter sure, but not the shortened animation time that causes the game and the Arreat Summit to list certain weapons as "Fast" or "Very Fast"

Have I got this right? Dragoon?
Quote:Grab your Grandfathers, unsheath your Schaeffers and loose the Lightsabres

Yes and no. Even a Lightsabre, equipped, is slower than molasses in January compared to the IKMaul. The Grandpa really isn't that much of a reach from a Buriza, really... and a hellova lot slower. Schaefer's is lovely, given the Static Field discharges... but still, even shaeled, resembles Matrix's "bullet time" to me.

My penchant for using two-handers came well before I read Dragoon's Bible on the subject. I found the PAINFULLY slow block animation to be a huge detriment in melee. Even today, with a Barstar (which is fast, admittedly) and Tiamat's on the weapon switch for dealing with PIs in Hell, I still grit my teeth whenever my big wuff blocks. I much prefer to build up the fast hit recovery (which is a far easier task than block) and take the hit. With Feral Rage charged up and Fury going, you hardly notice it (especially if your life steal is in the 60% range when taking equipment into account). Then you have your other wuffs that make use of the DR and %DR equipment. *sniff* I've never had any truck with those mongrels. ;) Even at lower levels, using only Feral as the main attack, you have to concede that a fast two-hander is a lovely choice.

And then, of course, there must be a nod given to Whappity Factor™. IKMaul's Whappity Factor™ is undisputed when taking the very high average-on-damage and Crushing Blow into account. Paired with Gore's on the footsies and a nice set of Blood Gloves, you've a killing machine. And lastly, of course, you have to take STYLE into account. :D

But! To get back to your original point, Brista: I've used differing types of weapons to achieve speed when needed. The most apparent one is an old KOTH (or Ironman) trick of finding a Hunter's Bow for your werewolf. Speed and unlimited ammo make for a deadly combination with that type of game.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Me and druids don't really mix, but I'd use a buri if i were you. My mate uses that more than his <drool> silence thunder maul. Speed is killer on a buri, but a hellslayer is pretty good too.
What is this life if, full of care
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
Ah, my mistake, there are different animation speeds for shifters based on weapon types

For reference they are
Base Weapon___Werewolf___Werebear___Druid
1-H weapons_____28________23_________20
1-H thrusting_____28________23_________20
2-H sword_______28________22 or 23_____21
2-H thrusting_____32 to 34___26 or 27_____23
2-H other________24________20_________17

Source: Dragoon's guide
http://students.washington.edu/akrinke/wer...lf/weapons.html

Thanks for your comments :)
In fact, Nicodemus, a Shaeled/Fervent Lightsabre is just as fast than the IK Maul. But I digress.

Simple answer: Brista, weapon types matter in just the same way as for non-Shifted Druids. Spears are naturally slower than Polearms, et cetera.

EDIT: Oh, I see you've already sorted it out. :) Good stuff.
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
Quote:In fact, Nicodemus, a Shaeled/Fervent Lightsabre is just as fast than the IK Maul. But I digress.

It just doesn't FEEL right, y'know? It's just this overriding tappy-clicky-pokey-sticky toothpickish.... THING! You KNOW. The THING! Oh, you have to know what I'm talkin' 'bout Fenris! You use a Shael'd IKMaul too! It's just so... so...

.. *gesticulates helplessly*

It's got no HEART! You need the PUNCH! Gotta have the WHAP!

*fumes*

Alright. There's no really good reason. But it's like slipping behind the wheel of a Ford when you've driven a Chevrolet your entire life. There's nothing wrong... but it's just WRONG.

*gives up* ;)
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Wow, I've gotten so caught up in the calcs that I've lost the essence of the game! What was I thinking? What good is speed without the WHAP?! How could I have been so blind...?

Good call, Nicodemus. :)
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)